Rotor control bulb

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Spiderleggs
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Spiderleggs
Antenna: antron
Radio: various

Rotor control bulb

Post by Spiderleggs »

I have a CDE 45-II control unit that had no bulb when I got it. I looked at the manual but it doesn't give the bulb base number or at least the copy I found online. I acquired a bulb from a local auto shop that fit and was the right voltage but it gets too hot and it began to melt the meter as I missed and left it on too long. Does anyone know the base number of the bulb so I can order one from a large online retailer? I saw some LED bulbs which I expect wouldn't get so hot but don't know if they will fit, though I could probably rig it up to work.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Rotor control bulb

Post by MDYoungblood »

I think the original bulb is a 24v, so 12v would be twice as bright and three times as hot. If you are planing to use LED's then measure the voltage and use a resistor to drop it to the 12v LED level.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Spiderleggs
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Spiderleggs
Antenna: antron
Radio: various

Post by Spiderleggs »

Thanks Mr. Youngblood. I measured the voltage, came up to 13.65v. I remember seeing some 14v bulbs of different wattage (3.4 and 4.1 I believe) so I may try those.
wa380
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: jason
Call Sign: vk6mgt
Radio: washington, icom 746 pro

Post by wa380 »

Use LED's put a series resistor in you will have all the brightness and none of the heat.

Jason