What have you recently acquired for new radio gear ?

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.

How did you get your last radio?

Garage Sale
16%
Ebay
25%
Amazon
13%
Other Website
46%

Total votes: 63

Re: What have you recently acquired for new radio gear ?

Post by 7732 »

yota167 wrote:
579 wrote:I picked up NightHawk's Galaxy 99v, that he had for sale on here. The dam things brand new. I thought I'd never say this, but I'm having so much fun on ssb, I don't care when the skip comes back.
As a truck driver myself, I do agree, heavy sunspot activity and a rise in skipland transmissions really really get annoying when you try to make a living in your truck, and you utilize the radio as a tool for everyday work. I hate skip in that aspect. But in the 4 wheeler when I'm not in the Cat Powered K.W. I really like laying into my mudduck mobile and bumping down a great big tree-top tall wall to wall keydown fooling everyone down south into thinking I'm a local yocal. :biggrin:
Yeah, I caught some flack for buying that Cobra "139 XLR" as well, However, come to find out, it is actually a Cobra 99, which is simply a 40 channel with no SSB. So, I just bought an additional actual 139XLR and the wife is flippin'! However, I can work extra hours to make up for the deficit in our finances. But like you said, I'm doing my share to help the economy.
Hopefully, I can set up my radios in the doghouse, lol.
BTW, that Cobra 99 will bhe going back on ebay as soon as I get it fixed up.
ma deuce
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: sparktified general

Post by ma deuce »

texas ranger chrome talkback speaker :cheers: big improvement over my paradynamics el-cheapo speaker
Smokey6791
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Smokey6791 »

Just got a galaxy 95t2 from gigoes screaming little radio.
Galaxy 959 102 SS
Galaxy 95T2 Wilson 1000 SLW
BCT8 TrunckTracker III
Farmer John
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Realistic TRC-449

Post by Farmer John »

I just picked up a Custom Cobra 25 to go with my Predator 10k antenna (22 inch shank), and SkyThumper 65 mic.
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Connex,Cobra

Post by 403 »

Cobra 2000 gtl off fleabay should be here fri are so.Cant wait!!!Ithink i did good at $180.00 bucks i am Happy.
the dutchman
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: galaxy 919

Post by the dutchman »

purchased a galaxy 919 with astatic 636 mike from RAR to pair up with my k-30 mag mount. cant wait for it to show up, im growing tired of my cobra 10 ultra iii : :biggrin:
smash a window..... squash an apple...... embrace the penguin!!
if snores, drools, belches and farts... and it's not your spouse, then you must own a mastiff!!!
ma deuce
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by ma deuce »

cobra 25 classic :cheers:
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Well I do see that people have continued to buy and swap more gear, and that's always a good thing in my book. It's good to see people adding and subtracting things to and from their collections---that's part of the hobby. Keep adding and keep writing in! One day, at some point, I will thin out my collection a little---but to this date I have never ever sold a radio yet except for one (my first Galaxy 99V that was brand new unused and sold it sickeningly cheap).

Anyway some of you know me a little and know I like radios. I have added the following radios to my collection in the last four months or so. There are a handful of them that are actually duplicate seconds that I bought, where I already own that make/model to begin with. Sometimes it's because I found a deal too good to pass up on, and sometimes I really wanted a spare backup unit. Here are most of my new additions, but I know for a fact there are probably about 10-12 items I can't remember without going down and doing an inventory or searching through paperwork or receipts. I'm pretty sure that I have the basic descriptions correct, but it's possible I made an error somewhere describing one.

Most of what I've bought, overall in general, is in good condition-to-excellent, or many even mint or unused/NOS. I do have some radios that have normal signs of wear though, and a few that look very well-used. Everything that I get that does have an operational problem, I try and get looked at---if the problem is not obvious to me first (sometimes I get lucky and a simple self-repair brings a unit back to life, but not often). It gets expensive sending SSB radios for an realignment, that's for sure---but is the proper thing to do. I try and get each radio item I buy back to spec---with NO "GOLDEN SCREWDRIVER-ING". There's nothing worse than trying to deal with a radio that has been monkey-ed around with by someone "learning"--aka--don't know what they are doing. That includes some work by some CB shops too. One thing I will say also, no shops in my area want anything to do with a 23-channel radio that's for sure---and that makes repairs difficult or impossible. I really need to find a way. Anyway, here are a few items I've added since I've last posted . . .

PACE PATHCOM
Model 8046 (mobile AM)
Model 123A (mobile AM)

TEABERRY
Big "T" (base AM)
Racer "T" (mobile AM)

ROYCE
XL Module 1-625 (base AM)

RAY JEFFERSON
CB905 (mobile AM marine CB)

EF JOHNSON
Messenger 250 50th Anniversary Edition (base, AM, 3x of them, one with original paperwork unused)
Messenger 4140 (mobile AM)
Messenger 323A (mobile AM)
Messenger/Turner Unamplified Desk Mic W/Preamp (2x of them brand new unused)
Johnson Power Supplies (brand new in box factory sealed)
Johnson radio catalog

SBE SIDE BAND ENGINEERS
Console II (base, AM/SSB, 3x more of them, now totalling 4---including one early slightly higher output version)
200X Belcom/SBE Desk Mic (for AM/SSB brand new in box)

CHEROKEE
AH-27F (HT, AM brand new in box)

TRAM
D42 Diamond 42 (mobile AM)
D60 Diamond 60 (mobile AM/SSB brand new in box)

HY-GAIN
Hy-Gain VIII (base AM/SSB, 2x of them one stock one extra channels and discreetly modified)

MIDLAND
13-893 (mobile AM/SSB)
13-976 (base AM/SSB)
HT-75-822 (HT, AM brand new in box)
13-925 Monitor (base/mobile monitor)

PRESIDENT
AX14 (mobile AM)

UNIDEN
Grant (mobile AM/SSB)
PC 122XL (mobile AM/SSB, brand new in box)

REGENCY
Monitoradio (base/moblie radio monitor)

LAFAYETTE
HB-750 (mobile AM)

REALISTIC
TRC-23B NAVAHO (base AM)
TRC-458 NAVAHO (base AM/SSB bought 2x of them, one is stock & needs work, other has extra channels and modified)
TRC-449 (mobile AM/SSB)
TRC-446 (mobile AM)
TRC-495 (base AM/Scan and modified)

COBRA
29 original (mobile AM, has TX problem)
29 LTD Classic (mobile AM)
29 LTD WX NW ST (mobile AM/WX)
29 LTD Chrome (moblie AM)
25 LTD (moble AM modified)
134 (mobile AM/SSB, 2x of them, one stock one extra channels---both mint/near mint)

SEARS
Roadtalker 40 (mobile/base AM, mint in box)
Roadtalker 40 SSB (mobile/base AM/SSB, mint in box)

COURIER
Classic III (mobile/base AM, mint in box)

HENRY RADIO :porc:
HRB-3 (SWR meter, unused)
Parasitic Chokes (silver plate brand new from Henry)
Relay Switch (used spare relay)

YAESU :porc:
VX-6R (HT 2M, brand new in box)

ASTATIC
525 (mobile mic's 2x of them)
D-104 TUG-9 (desk mic's 4x more of them)
D-104 TUG-8 (desk mic)
D-104 UG-8 (desk mic)
10-D G-stand (desk mic unamplified)
DuKane/Astatic 7C40 G-stand (desk mic unamplified)
Vintage Astatic company microphone data sheets and comparison charts

KAY ELECTRONIC CO.
Microwave Mega-Node RG-52/U (random noise generator, brand new mint in box, unused from circa 1954)

Well this is most of what I've added lately for new radio gear, and most likely have 3x that already in stock. I like to test drive various makes and models, really think it's alot of fun. I didn't inlcude many other test instruments, meters, headphones, hand mic's, switches, filters, heavy cabling and disconnects, parts etc----I had a hard time remembering the items I just listed as it is. Hope to put a few more things on here as I remember them and when I can. I haven't posted as much as I'd like lately due to personal dealings, but I will. Sometime later I will be writing some unbiased reviews of some of the radios in my collection, providing they are in good operating condition and working as intended by the manufacturer of the unit.

Keep posting anything you've got or added recently !
ma deuce
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by ma deuce »

:cyclopsani: wow foxhunter that's a lot of radio gear- you must be a single guy becauce no woman is going to stand by and let her man have that much fun! Lol I know my wife(ball and chain) won't.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

ma deuce wrote::cyclopsani: wow foxhunter that's a lot of radio gear- you must be a single guy becauce no woman is going to stand by and let her man have that much fun! Lol I know my wife(ball and chain) won't.
Haha yes I am single :basketball:

Once I thought maybe . . . and came close, but it couldn't work I think she decided. Almost though.

Anyhow I've always been under the impression that married guys would receive MORE support and encouragement from their significant others with their radio hobby, after all they are the King of their households correct? :king:

I did forget two or three things last night that I had also got recently . . .

SONAR
Sonar 45 Transistorized Marine Radiotelephone (base/mobile vintage marine radio, very nice shape with all original paperwork & service manual, yet with a handful of paint blemishes. Honestly I have not even tried to power it on, it has a HUGE powercord plug-socket and unfortunately I don't have the cord itself. A shame that the guy who sold it to me had just got it doing a basement cleanout, and decided to throw out the original box it was in)

BIRD ELECTRONICS
Bird Termaline Wattmeter Model 6154 (excellent working condition, I'd say "decent" cosmetic condition because of paint chips/markings. Bought from a telecommunications company as surplus stock, although still it wasn't cheap. Had a wire connection disconnected behind the meter. Had it recently recalibrated to be sure of meter accuracy due to unknown history. Although it does have a tag stating last calibration was 11-27-85!)

ANDERSON
Anderson PowerPoles (cable disconnects for power supply lines, various sizes and ratings from moderate to heavy current. These things are the only way to go.)
ma deuce
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by ma deuce »

Yea I'm the king alrite but my crown looks more like this :jokercolor: when ever she thinks that I'm spending to much time working on my radio I gotta hear - why aren't u spending more time with me instead of working on that dam cb all day! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah :puke_r: . I think I need to trade my wife in for a new model so I can have more time to work on my set ups! Any way thanks for turning me on to k0bg, I have learned a great deal from his website.
Farmer John
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Realistic TRC-449

Post by Farmer John »

TRC-449 (mobile AM/SSB)
I have one of those. That is a hell of a radio. I am going to get the one I own fixed and use it in the house. Or keep it as a back up.
cuzzin it
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: General Lee

Post by cuzzin it »

Cobra 29 ltd black chrome. Bought it for a friend that needed on but called him too late, he'd already got one. i'm not sure what to do with it, it's kinda big for the little pickup and i have a General in the big truck. i've thought of putting in in the house, since i live on a highway and near an interstate, but i get bad static from power lines across the road. Some of the insulaters on poles glow and buzz at night.
PRO151

Post by PRO151 »

Galaxy DX98VHP tuned by a Redneck. Radio is a screamer, getting nothing but flowers. Now I understand what the phrase "Big Dog" means. :cheers:
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

PONY EXPRESS wrote:Image

Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV with Golden Eagle D-104
AH-HAA!! YOU were the one! I went up against you on that one right there, I wanted it. So I see you were bidder "A**Y". You OWE me now lol. I wish---it did look like a nice radio there but the bidding went a bit high for me.

ma deuce wrote:Yea I'm the king alrite but my crown looks more like this :jokercolor: when ever she thinks that I'm spending to much time working on my radio I gotta hear - why aren't u spending more time with me instead of working on that dam cb all day! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah :puke_r: . I think I need to trade my wife in for a new model so I can have more time to work on my set ups! Any way thanks for turning me on to k0bg, I have learned a great deal from his website.
Heh heh----I've heard this before and always gives me chills. Part of the reason I never went "down that road". Cracks me up though.

Hey----you're quite welcome on the K0BG referral, he has an excellent website of reliable and accurate information. He's continued to add to it this past year as well. What a man he is, a storehouse of good information----should "charge admission" to visit the website!

Farmer John wrote:
TRC-449 (mobile AM/SSB)
I have one of those. That is a hell of a radio. I am going to get the one I own fixed and use it in the house. Or keep it as a back up.
Actually, it is one h@ll of a radio----you weren't joking. Solid and well-built. Excellent on SSB as well, I consider it one of my better sideband rigs. Although I got the seller I bought mine from to come down a little, I still did pay a few bucks for it in the end. I passed up on it the first day and went back the following day and then bought it. IMHO it is one of Radio Shack's better Realistic brand "hidden gem" radios, a very good performer. I used to equate Realistic/Radio Shack with plastic junk, but this radio opened my eyes to the company's former level of good quality rigs. Farmer John I would CERTAINLY fire that thing up at the house and sit back to see what kind of reports you get back!

cuzzin it wrote:Cobra 29 ltd black chrome. Bought it for a friend that needed on but called him too late, he'd already got one. i'm not sure what to do with it, it's kinda big for the little pickup and i have a General in the big truck. i've thought of putting in in the house, since i live on a highway and near an interstate, but i get bad static from power lines across the road. Some of the insulaters on poles glow and buzz at night.
The Cobra Black Chrome 29 is a nice looking unit and I would keep it if I were you, to use at the base. A neat looking variation and looks good on the station desk, sharp looking I think. I now own two of them, getting my second one last month in a deal too good to pass up (to me anyway---the thing is lightly used but mint and paid $40). Listen, your location is perfect for getting all that mobile radio traffic and I would take advantage of it at the home base where you live. I also live beside major roadways. I live in-between two major state highways and right beside an expressway and there is always someone passing by. Yes, along with highways come powerlines----always. If the lines/transformers/etc are as you describe, often the power utility company will listen to you about malfunctioning equipment----ESPECIALLY if you take the time to give them the pole #'s from the ID tags from the poles that the bad equipment is on. It gives them something to go on, instead of a vague complaint. And after all----they are interested in selling energy, not wasting it in arcing equipment. Really worth giving them a call or stopping into their maintenance yard office even more.

PRO151 wrote:Galaxy DX98VHP tuned by a Redneck. Radio is a screamer, getting nothing but flowers. Now I understand what the phrase "Big Dog" means. :cheers:
I will get one of those at some point for sure, always wanted one. Has the 8x transistors. I had a deposit on one at a local shop about 2 years ago, then ended up eating up all my deposit $$ on repairs to other gear! I haven't forgotten though. Looks like a big cool rig

Well I added a couple things this past week. . .

Copperfield Excelene
2-AWG welding cable (new 80-FT spool, also a case of commercial welding lead shrink tube, also two 50-FT spools of smaller shrink tube)

Realistic / Radio Shack
TRC-419 aka 21-1512 (mobile AM, decent sounding but nothing big, in excellent condition from a yard sale, has memory channels)

Shure
Beta 52 (drum microphone)

Misc
(several boxes of various NOS resistors incl. big "dogbone" types, capacitors and all sorts of radio parts---all new in old packages. Bought them from someone who cleaned-out a storage locker of older vintage radio repair equipment)

Keep adding to that stash!
FTRDX
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by FTRDX »

Recently aquired a Stealth Tuned RFX BC Cobra 29
Not sure what to think of it just yet,talks big and crystal clear running everything wide open.
Still want to see it on a bench under load.
Anyone else put any finger prints on one of these radios ?

Just might be worth the $150 I paid for it ???? (new but used)
TaterR
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by TaterR »

Just got one of these: Image

http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft450.htm

It can't get here fast enough...
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

TaterR wrote:Just got one of these: Image

You'll love it, several of us on here run those, and the mod for full transmit is an easy one. That radio is a real bargain for the price.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

I've never had a Yaesu mobile rig, yet. No doubt that it's at the very least decent quality----hopefully general coverage. I can imagine wanting to try one out at some point. Looks cool too. I do have two Yaesu handhelds, a VX-6R and a VX-7R, plus the FT101ZD here at the desk----nothing but good things to say about them.

Recently (in the last week or two) I've ran into a few more things to put down, and maybe a handful of photos.

Palomar 300 Skipper Amplifier (there goes those $$ GE 8950 tubes again---untested, cosmetic fair condition)

Cobra 2000GTL (AM/SSB base radio, modified, does need one meter)
Cobra CA-2000 Extension Speaker
Heathkit HW-100 (HF SSB/CW base rig, needs octal cord)
Superstar 360FM (AM/SSB/CW mobile radio---wow I like this radio)
Realistic TRC-30A aka 21-143 (AM base radio---does need repair)
Realistic HTX-100 aka 19-1101 (10M SSB/CW mobile rig) (have a prior good condition parts HTX-100 also)
Realistic TRC-453 aka 21-1566 (AM/SSB mobile rig---nice compact SSB radio)
Realistic TRC-457 aka 210-1580 (AM/SSB base rig)
Cobra 138 Japan with a Matco 777 (AM/SSB mobile rig with attached Matco channel box)
Sears Roadtalker 40 (AM mobile radio, missing channel knob, untested)
Hy-Gain NOS replacement switches (2x---for my recently acquired Hy-Gain VIII 8 base rigs)

Realistic Amplified Dynamic Base Station Microphone 21-1173
Realistic Cardoid Dynamic Microphone 33-992B (with tall-boy gooseneck stand)
Hy-Gain Model 615 (hand? microphone kind of unusual, I like it. Can't find anything online yet about it)
SBE Belcom 200X Desk Microphone (amplified version, just bought unamplified version a month ago, matched set)
Astatic Silver Eagle D104SE (chrome base desk mics 2x of them)
Aerotron / Ameco / Shure Model #DY21B (can't find any information on this model mic, a bit similar to Shure 526T)
Shure Super Punch 526T Desk Microphone
Shure Beta 52 Drum Microphone
Shure PG52 Drum Microphone

Cushcraft ARX-2 Ringo Ranger
(2M vertical antenna)

Here's a couple of pic's right after I got some of this stuff home

Last edited by Foxhunter on September 11th, 2009, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rongstad
Donor
Donor

Post by rongstad »

The postman just delivered a connex 4300/300 i got from cotton mouth (thanks by the way!!) Damn UPS hasn't delivered the 5000 mag-mount I have on order... :( the k40 I have will not take the new watts.... hey will my cigarrette lighter plug handle the high current???? :lol: :twisted: I also a sparktified cobra 25, along with an old superstar 3900.
TaterR
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by TaterR »

drdx wrote:
TaterR wrote:Just got one of these: Image

You'll love it, several of us on here run those, and the mod for full transmit is an easy one. That radio is a real bargain for the price.

-drdx
Thanks. It came today, a day faster than I expected. Made a contact to Florida straight from the box. Only thing is, I only have a 10 and 11m antenna set up just yet. One is an Antron -99 though and it can slide a little bit. I guess I need to get busy....
hunter
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by hunter »

I just traded my Brother-in Law for a 4 section push up pole.
I went to the Palomar site and bought a bunch of filters for mine and my neighbors equipment if necessary.
I Finally bought some decent coax from Sparkys, 50' of Browning BR-400 super premium low loss cable.
Been using RG58 radio shack junk for years.
Bought a balun from Palomar.
I will put it all together as soon as I can get a little help because of a severely bad back.
Ya have to find hobbies ya can do when your in a chair.
I do have much less bleeding with the new coax and balun.
When I get done I think I'll be able to run at least 50watts without bleeding on my neighbors tvs and speakers.
My 25 year old 148 and President Grant still run like new.
I would like to find a President Base like i had before because it was awesome.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

hunter wrote:I just traded my Brother-in Law for a 4 section push up pole.
I went to the Palomar site and bought a bunch of filters for mine and my neighbors equipment if necessary.
I Finally bought some decent coax from Sparkys, 50' of Browning BR-400 super premium low loss cable.
Been using RG58 radio shack junk for years.
Bought a balun from Palomar.
I will put it all together as soon as I can get a little help because of a severely bad back.
Ya have to find hobbies ya can do when your in a chair.
I do have much less bleeding with the new coax and balun.
When I get done I think I'll be able to run at least 50watts without bleeding on my neighbors tvs and speakers.
My 25 year old 148 and President Grant still run like new.
I would like to find a President Base like i had before because it was awesome.

Now that sounds like an operator on his way to having a decent station----being considerate of his neighbors. A good investment in gear, as well in diplomacy. Ferrites, Torroids, Baluns and anything else along those lines are a definite sign of someone trying to do the right thing. Sounds like the beginning of a Ham station actually. These type items are one of the first considerations often for someone trying "to do it right". Hats off to you. Palomar Engineers do carry some of the best products along those lines. Also another top choice is Amidon.

Amidon
https://www.amidoncorp.com/
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter »

I just added a few radio related items to my collection in the past couple of days that I wanted to post. I'd hope that more members would post about their recent finds, I know some of you guys are getting some goodies.

Argonne AR-54 Green Bullet Mic Japan
Some people use them for or call them harp mic's. Definitely cool retro or vintage art deco styling. I still haven't found out that much about them though. When Googled one of the first pages to come up says. . .
"This is what blues greats like Big Walter, Junior Wells, James Cotton, Sonny Boy Williamson and others are said to have used. This mic style is extremely popular among blues musicians. A standard for serious harp players all over the world."
http://bluesmics.com/zencart/ ... ucts_id=46

For some (unknown) reason, my mic's grille is different than the one depicted first below and in nearly all other photos I've viewed online. Most have the semi-circular grille concentrics on each side, whereas mine are all straight vertical chrome fins. Here are the two styles from professional photos, and then my poor old webshots. My mic is used of course and does have paint blemishes in the form of nicking. A good going over with some rubbing compound then polishing compound will do wonders to bring some of the paint finish and chrome back----and some elbow grease!

This is what nearly all of them I've seen look like

Here is one with a grille like my mic has, but this particular one has a knob on the back of the head

Here's my AR-54 below

I also went and ordered two things for paperwork document type items for my booklet and manual files. . .

Henry Radio Inc LA Catalog 1988
SBE Sierra Base Station Radio Original Owners Manual

This just finally came, an old EF Johnson radio I've been waiting for. I already had one prior I purchased a year ago and made repairs on to get her working. The one I already had looks and works great but the plastic meter lens is fogged and it bothered me. So I finally found this one in perfect condition with all the original paperwork etc. I love hooking these old-school type rigs up to a 1KW+ box and having fun with them! Making these old radios talk like they've never talked before.

EF Johnson Messenger 132 Base Station CB Radio

Post some of your radio "show and tell" items for the rest of us to view please! There are MANY guys here on the CBRT Forum who enjoy looking at what others have. It's like going to a car show----to admire and view what others have and are doing! Please post your new items!
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

I had been selling a Spectrum Analyzer for a friend of mine and it didnt get any bites. Well, saturday she gave it to me. Actually it was a trade. I had to put window tint on her Scion. That to me seemed like a great deal.... The tint job I did was worth about $240 and my cost on it not including labor was about $50. She said you tint the car and you can keep the gear.