Unable to fix high SWR readings on new FireStik antenna

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
DadJoker
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: DadJoker
Antenna: FireStik
Radio: Uniden

Unable to fix high SWR readings on new FireStik antenna

Post by DadJoker »

I recently bought and attempted to install a new Uniden PC78LTX CB in my 2017 Ram 1500 BigHorn truck, using this kit from Right Channel Radios (with the 4' FireStik Firefly and quick connect). I hard wired the power to the power for the cigarette lighter using a snap lock tap connector. It powered up fine, but when I went to check the SWR (both with the internal meter in the CB and an external meter), it was way high (above 3). I checked with RCR, and found out that I had the nylon washer installed in the wrong place on the hood mount; I had it on the bottom of the mount, and it needed to be on the top, with the lip side down. After fixing that, it seemed to be fine for a bit, but after turning off the vehicle and coming back later, it was back to being way too high.

Then, the next time I came out and turned it on, the radio wouldn't power up at all. Occasionally, when checking the SWR the ANT light would come on , but I never left it on for more than a second.

My questions:

Is there anything else I can check/change to fix the SWR on my antenna? From what I've seen, many other people have used that kit successfully, so I doubt the problem is the equipment.

Since the CB won't power on, is it likely that I fried it with the high SWR readings?

Thanks.
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Re: Unable to fix high SWR readings on new FireStik antenna

Post by Bombero »

Hey….

Did you check for a blown fuse in the power source?

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

Gold Diamond
Donor
Donor
Handle: Gold Diamond
Call Sign: KE0UWN
Antenna: HF Alpha HD-FMJ tripod mounted, Diamond X100A
Radio: HF Yaesu FT-891, Yaesu FTM-100D (VHF/UHF), President McKinley CB

Post by Gold Diamond »

1. Check for 12 VDC at the radio's power cord connector.
2. Check the center pin of the PL-259 antenna cable with a volt-ohm meter. The resistance should be infinity. Connect a 50 ohm dummy load to the radio's antenna input and key on. SWR should be near 1:1 or so.
3. If the radio's power cable contains an inline fuse check that the fuse is good or replace with a similar fuse for a test.
4. If all of the above are good to go then an radio internal fuse or protective component could be open. An inspection of the radio's circuit board could reveal a hot spot however not always.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

on some vehicles, the cigarette plug is not fused so if you created a short looking for a ground then you may have really toasted something.
SWR that you are describing makes me think the coax is not making a ground at the antenna mount
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Have you got the radio working yet?

I have found the hoods on most vehicles are not grounded unless you see a strap connected somewhere. If not a car parts store or eBay and Amazon you can purchase them. Adding this will help in the antennas counterpoise. When adjusting the antenna, get the lowest SWR on channel 19 or 20, then balance out the ends of the band. It is possible the antenna is too long which will require removing a wrap or two of wire and resoldering it at the top, then get some shrink tube to seal it back up, if too short you can add another nut and stud at the mount.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

Bombero hit it square on the head, possibly a fuse blown, because the radio should at least light up.
, so another culprit of swr may be related to the weather, if you have heavy dew or rain it can "short" the antenna, meaning making unwanted grounding. also, do the swr testing away from any building or tree or wires. check to see if that new dodge has the body grounded, and tell us where on the vehicle you are mounting the ant.
all the guy have had good pointers, so , persistence pays off, i am curious too as your only post is already a month old,,,
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue Ox
Call Sign: KC3LAV
Antenna: DR-Dipole, Copper "J"-Pole, IMax 2000, MFJ 1740, and a "Slinky" 40M dipole
Radio: President McKinley&Washington+142GTL Direct Injected by Leadfoot Labs

Post by Blue Ox2 »

Yes sir, here it is the end of August. How did your inspection work out?
I'm thinking it was a blown fuse and the radio wasn't grounded properly.

Hope all worked out and you are enjoying a great unit in yer truck.

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")