Unable to fix high SWR readings on new FireStik antenna

This is the place to post your general tips, or need to have a question on your install here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
DadJoker
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Unable to fix high SWR readings on new FireStik antenna

Post by DadJoker »

I recently bought and attempted to install a new Uniden PC78LTX CB in my 2017 Ram 1500 BigHorn truck, using this kit from Right Channel Radios (with the 4' FireStik Firefly and quick connect). I hard wired the power to the power for the cigarette lighter using a snap lock tap connector. It powered up fine, but when I went to check the SWR (both with the internal meter in the CB and an external meter), it was way high (above 3). I checked with RCR, and found out that I had the nylon washer installed in the wrong place on the hood mount; I had it on the bottom of the mount, and it needed to be on the top, with the lip side down. After fixing that, it seemed to be fine for a bit, but after turning off the vehicle and coming back later, it was back to being way too high.

Then, the next time I came out and turned it on, the radio wouldn't power up at all. Occasionally, when checking the SWR the ANT light would come on , but I never left it on for more than a second.

My questions:

Is there anything else I can check/change to fix the SWR on my antenna? From what I've seen, many other people have used that kit successfully, so I doubt the problem is the equipment.

Since the CB won't power on, is it likely that I fried it with the high SWR readings?

Thanks.

Donate to CBRT
Bombero
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bombero »

Hey….

Did you check for a blown fuse in the power source?

Bombero

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

Donate to CBRT
Gold Diamond
Donor
Donor

Post by Gold Diamond »

1. Check for 12 VDC at the radio's power cord connector.
2. Check the center pin of the PL-259 antenna cable with a volt-ohm meter. The resistance should be infinity. Connect a 50 ohm dummy load to the radio's antenna input and key on. SWR should be near 1:1 or so.
3. If the radio's power cable contains an inline fuse check that the fuse is good or replace with a similar fuse for a test.
4. If all of the above are good to go then an radio internal fuse or protective component could be open. An inspection of the radio's circuit board could reveal a hot spot however not always.

Donate to CBRT
443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 443 Arizona »

on some vehicles, the cigarette plug is not fused so if you created a short looking for a ground then you may have really toasted something.
SWR that you are describing makes me think the coax is not making a ground at the antenna mount

Donate to CBRT
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic