TYT 7800 and 30amp power supply?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

TYT 7800 and 30amp power supply?

Post by Jbones »

So I see a TYT TH 7800 and 30 amp power supply listed on a reputable retailer website $219. Free shipping.

Knowing little about fill duplex and cross band repeater function which is has, does this sound like a deal. I have read LMR-400 (which I bought 50’ of) doesn’t work well with this. Do it also require any special antenna? I plan as a base.

I’ll get on YouTube and do some other internet reading. But any quick hints of knowledge would be appreciated.

Jeff.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Those TYT radios have gotten a bad rep for no longevity but most times it can be traced back to SWR issues. One thing I do read about them is they are easily receive overloaded and because they go way out of band range (when modded), the FCC has pulled their compliance but that never stopped them from being sold. I have seen these go for as little as $150 to a high of $220. I don't know which PS is offered, probably a switching supply, depending on the brand, they run around $100. Do they require a special antenna? Yes, a good dual band will do as long as you stay in the bandwidth of the antenna.
Price wise, not a bad deal if it includes shipping. JMO.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department