Discone Antenna Question

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
Brass Monkey
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Discone Antenna Question

Post by Brass Monkey »

How much is the difference in quality of a Tram/Workman/Jetstream Discone Antenna vs. a Diamond D130J.

I am talking about the models that feature the 50mhz radial. They all go for about $49.95 while the Diamond Discone ranges from $100-$120.00.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Discone Antenna Question

Post by MDYoungblood »

The difference in price could be construction, I have a Diamond D130J and it's all stainless steel. I've used it for 2m and 70cm, tuned well and transmits fine, don't know about other frequencies. I got it in a radio deal and was going to and still will use it on a SDR radio. The Jetstream Discone is sold under different names, has a couple versions. Both antennas are said to be able to transmit on 6m but very limited wattage.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Brass Monkey
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Brass Monkey »

MDYoungblood wrote:The difference in price could be construction, I have a Diamond D130J and it's all stainless steel. I've used it for 2m and 70cm, tuned well and transmits fine, don't know about other frequencies. I got it in a radio deal and was going to and still will use it on a SDR radio. The Jetstream Discone is sold under different names, has a couple versions. Both antennas are said to be able to transmit on 6m but very limited wattage.

3's

Greg
Years ago I had the better model of the Discone that Radio Shack sold and only had it 20 feet up in the air and it worked really well not only with my scanner but also my 2m/70cm ham radio. The reception was incredibly clear and quiet. The ham guys are ways ragging on the discone antenna because of its lack of gain on the VHF/UHF bands.

At about the same time I had a small AM/FM portable radio from Radio Shack that also had two SWL bands for listening. One day I dropped it in a puddle of water and later decided to take it apart and check the inside for any water that may have still been left inside. I saw on the circuit board the word Sangean clearly printed on the edge. I'll have to assume all the radios were being made in the same factory. I was wo defying if the same kind of thing was going on with these Discone antennas.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Clearly having no gain is a big deal to some mainly because the antenna have such a low wattage rating, they were designed for reception, in an area like I'm in, repeaters are a plenty if I want to use it on any of the amateur bands that it will transmit on.

3's

Greg

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

There are a few discone antennas that will handle a bit of power. I say a bit as in 1-200 watts max IMO. The sirio SD 1300N or 1300U, will handle up to 300 watts CW. Over rated, but conservatively we will say 1-200 watts. Get it up as high as possible and keep obstructions to a limit, especially in the near field of the antenna and it should work fine. Quality of parts and materials used is the price factor I would say, and most likely all the above antennas you listed probably are built in the same big production line somewhere in China minus maybe the more expensive one, but I doubt it. The sirio antennas are built in Italy at least and are pretty quality antennas from the ones I've used. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Spend the extra coin and make sure the antenna will last. JMHO. The sirio sd1300 is a 25mhz-1.3ghz antenna, so it's wide banded, but remember this is only on the rx side. The TX side will have various TX freqs per the antenna specs. Here is a screen shot of one. ImageImage
Hope this helps. I've been eyeing one of these antennas myself just for listening for now, but do plan to use one here soon most likely as I am working on getting my ticket. Feb. 2016 around middle of month I'll be going to try for all 3 licenses. Studying mostly for my tech, but am going to try my luck at all 3 at one time. Some places will let you stay until you pass, so it's not that hard per say if you really want to get a license these days, or so I've heard. Anyway, good day and hope you find what you are after!! Good day.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hmm, the Diamond and Sirio look to be identical antennas, the Jetstream (and other brand names) use three loaded lower elements.

3's

Greg

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

They could very well be MD. Or very close copies. Wouldn't surprise me if they were the same antenna.