mods for a cobra 29 LTD classic?

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
grease monkey

mods for a cobra 29 LTD classic?

Post by grease monkey »

i got this radio given to me yesterday :D .what can be done to it to crank it up?what about extra channels?i looked at the cbtricks.com website but they dont list any mods for this radio.
Twist

Post by Twist »

well, sir. you can swap the final transistor to 2sc1969 (unsolder and re-solder three legs) add a couple ceramic capacitors on the back of the board... there are lots of instructions on this one out there. type cobra 29 mod into your search engine. without some testers on wattage and clarity you will have to trial and error on how much you can get out of it because you need to spread a coil and "twist" on a little VR to increase the modulation etc. now, you gots a freebie and a cbshop would charge maybe 60 on this one, not sure. the final is about 15 and you max it out about 25 watts when you are done. thas not bad. but you wont get much more, i don't care what that old trucker said. that final transistor is maxed out at 20 watts... running hot at 25.
now , as for more channels, that's possible too, with an add on board and more hacking. then you add on the echo board and roger beep and you can no longer close the case, plus you probably spent 200 plus in mods on a 30 dollar used cb... so, enjoy, toy with it and when you are ready to have all the perks, buy that connex, galaxy, north star, northpoint etc.... the one that pops out of the box at 30 to 50 watts... and has some resale value without ever messing with it. (after taking nail clippers and removing the 4 resistors on the back of the PCB to convert it to am)
Twist

Post by Twist »

oh,, one more thing... read talk back 101 in the mods topic list... that's an easy and cheap one. even has pics thanks to the guys... and you can install an echo board yourself for about 15.00 so that's another easy one. depending on the year and model your 29 is, the space for it can be tricky.
grease monkey

Post by grease monkey »

ive already gotta couple big radios,mirage 88,sending a money order out tuesday for another mirage 88,and i also have a galaxy 959dx.the cobra was given to me so i took it.
buzzyt517
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by buzzyt517 »

Thats a good deal then
Lucky man

TomB
I Am Just A Local With Some Vocal On The Air
The Omen-666 Waving a hand from Minnesota
http://www.***Censored***.com
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

wish I could find deals like that...
:lol:
White Lightning
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: 102' SS Whip
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD Chrome

Post by White Lightning »

I just had mine peeked and tuned.
SAVAGESAM
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by SAVAGESAM »

White Lightning wrote:I just had mine peeked and tuned.
What difference did you notice?
grease monkey

Post by grease monkey »

Rex_foxhound wrote:wish I could find deals like that...
:lol:
why?is there something special about the 29?if there is i dont see it cuz i dont like it.
DTB Radio

Post by DTB Radio »

You can find a final swap mod for the 29 at http://www.dtbradio.com/tips.html under the Cobra section. There are a couple other useful ideas there, as well.
Siniste Minster
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Re: mods for a cobra 29 LTD classic?

Post by Siniste Minster »

grease monkey wrote:i got this radio given to me yesterday :D .what can be done to it to crank it up?what about extra channels?i looked at the cbtricks.com website but they dont list any mods for this radio.
Tons out there just do a google search..If done right these Cobra 29s can step uot very well....

Check some info here:

http://www.**Censored**.com/cbpages/cobra29.htm
silver runner
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by silver runner »

I would also try cbradiomagazine.com, they have some good info on there too.
"Drive it like you stole it!!!"

-Dale Earnhardt Sr
thunder
Donor
Donor

Post by thunder »

I have a cobra 29 ltd classic I like very well. I have a gen. lee & galaxy 99. aint nothin like a cobra 29 tuff little radio
Siniste Minster
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Re: mods for a cobra 29 LTD classic?

Post by Siniste Minster »

The ERF-2030 upgrade with EN-1230 is the best way to get the most power out of a 29. The 2SC1969 final will get you about 40watts and the ERF-2030 will get you 50watts Bird. If a person is not getting good results then they should not be in any radio, they don't know what to due...Following instructions is not enough to get the best results....Keep in mind every radio will act different...
Tcbo1JollyRoger
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Re: Cobra 29 Series Mods.

Post by Tcbo1JollyRoger »

Any Radio made can be beefed up to put out much greater PEP than it was designed for. The issue is; how much is too much. When you pump a radio out to more than a 50% to 100% increase, you have to start changing many parts and at the same time, looking at how much power your mods are going to require in order to make the mods you did, work. A safe deadkey increase of 50% is easily attainable without hurting the radio's mostly stock circuitry, and with the proper modulation mod, will have a loud output without overmodulation. When you overmodulate, all you are doing is splattering the channels on either side of you, and possibly the entire band. That is a crappy radio! It should be clean. Many of these amateur CB operators that start playing with their radio's end up making them worse, as they don't have the proper equipment for tuning up a radio properly. Buying a triple meter to use for servicing radio's is not enough, and poor one's can cause you to screw up your radio in a heartbeat. Then you will need to take your sick little radio to a Pro, which is what you probably should have done in the first place. You don't know how many radio's I have had to bring back from the dead, because someone stuck their hands inside without the knowledge needed. Be smart, and enjoy your hobby. I have seen many fads come and go in over 35 years of CB Radio. One thing always holds true, an over played with radio is always worth less that a good solid stock or almost stock radio!

" Life is short, Live each day as if it is your last, and BE COOL !" 8)

SEE LESS ADS BY DONATING $10 OR MORE...