Floating Donate button Image

Computer anti virus suggestions

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
KP68
Donor
Donor

Computer anti virus suggestions

Post by KP68 »

Hey all. So I finally have internet at my new shop here and I need an anti virus to run on my windows 7 computer but will not clash with my SDR Play software. I don't do much internet surfing and the only thing I run on this computer is my SDR and REA station monitor but it's probably a good idea to get an anti virus. My biggest worry is that an anti virus program will cause my SDR to have glitches, then I'll really lose my mind lol. Any suggestions?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Computer anti virus suggestions

Post by MDYoungblood »

I use the free version of AVG, it seems to do the job well enough. I also use a program called CCleaner (free version too, yes I'm cheap) and Advanced System Care with a few of the other IObit supporting programs (all free). I have never seen it interfere with my SDRPlay running either SDRuno or HDSDR, don't think my computer has enough resources for SDRConsole, (it freezes). I haven't lost any of the settings running those cleaning programs but I do lose passwords, (got them written down).

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Owner
Owner

Post by »

I use Norton myself, but I use my PC a lot!
Often you can find some online deals for it, or even chat with them and ask for a deal on it. I can protect up to 10 PCs on mine

Donate here

KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Right now I have a McAfee 5 devices $96 per year subscription on my old lap top that I don't plan on renewing. I don't know, maybe I will and add this computer. Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll do a little more snooping around.
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor

Post by Blue Ox2 »

I use CCleaner (free version) and Malwarebytes (free version)
run them both at least once a week.

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")

KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Just talked to a friend of mine who uses the free Comcast Norton. He says he has been using it for years and he runs the same SDR program and version as me with no problems. I think I'll try that.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Yes I forgot to mention to check with your internet provider to see if they had a anti-virus free service, I have Comcast Xfinity as mine, they offer Norton but I personally don't like Norton (bad experience using it), it was a resource hog causing older computers to crash frequently, this might have changed over the years.
Let me know how it goes and I might be switching over to it.

3's

Greg

KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Ok, yep will do. Ill download this weekend. Keep you posted.
295 antenna

Post by 295 antenna »

I have been using Norton 360 for a few years and it works fantastic ,I also use Norton password manager. both products are very good for me at least
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
bcloud1968
Donor
Donor

Post by bcloud1968 »

I have been using Norton protection also for many years with no issues. I have the Norton 360 on five computers and my Iphone it has not caused any program/software issues.
KP68
Donor
Donor

Post by KP68 »

Well, here's the latest. Instead of messing around with my windows 7 computer, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a new windows 10 computer. I got a CyberPowerPC Gaming Desktop AMD 7 3700X 16GB memory AMD Radeon RX 580 2TB hard drive + 240 GB SSD. Good enough for my pea brain purposes.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

MDYoungblood wrote: December 12th, 2019, 11:17 am Yes I forgot to mention to check with your internet provider to see if they had a anti-virus free service, I have Comcast Xfinity as mine, they offer Norton but I personally don't like Norton (bad experience using it), it was a resource hog causing older computers to crash frequently, this might have changed over the years.
Let me know how it goes and I might be switching over to it.

3's

Greg
I downloaded and installed Norton on both my radio room PC's since it is free with Xfinity, (not a full version of Norton tho), been using it since writing the quote above. So far no problems.

3's

Greg