Texas star dx 400 v

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Lakotawalker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Windwalker
Antenna: Maco v 58. Monkey ma
Radio: General lee cobra 29

Texas star dx 400 v

Post by Lakotawalker »

Looking to hook up ts 400 v for base use how big a power supply do I need, will be using a General Lee radio same as Connex 3300 thanks.

(edited by MDY)
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Texas star dx 400 v

Post by sonoma »

I run a 450V some times and I use a 30 amp power supply to run it so it has a little head room when running. the lee uses a 5 amp fuse. so figure both together would need about 30 amps just to make sure it has plenty of amps so you are not maxing out the power supply. this way it would run longer with out making the power supply to get hot and wear out faster. if I run a mobile and amp together I have a 50 amp power supply I use to make sure it has plenty of amps to run both. you could get by with a 25 amp power supply but it would be running full max out put.

one way you can also check what you need is to see what size fuse your radio and amp has in them and add the amount together then get a little larger amp.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Figure about 10 amps per 100 watts on a tx star. Their site rates it at 40 amps. But, depending on how you run it you could use a smaller supply but go ahead and get a 50 amp or more and be done with it.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I won't run an amp and radio on the same PS. I would get one for the radio about 20A, (10A minimum) and look for a good 50A for the amplifier, you never know when you might upgrade.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Lakotawalker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Lakotawalker »

Thanks guys 50 amp it is you guys are the best
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Look for a quality PS,, better to spend the money now then to have to spend more later, I like Astron.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Good point on the separate supply. I also like to have a totally separate supply to just testing radios and tinkering. It seems way safer than having a mishap and damaging other equipment and you don't have to unhook your main setup just to test a radio. I also have a separate meter and dummy load setup, freq counter, extra mics as well, it makes for a handy shack for sure. You don't have to get it all at once. Just keep an eye out for bargains and let it grow over time.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Lakotawalker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Lakotawalker »

Ok fellow cbrs I've got a few items belonged to my pop from back in the day, I've got to go thru it all eventually :cheers: and see what is there