Police ever bother you about amp?

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
MightyMo
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cobra 29 and 25

Police ever bother you about amp?

Post by MightyMo »

I realize the FCC has a 4 watt limit, but I also know most people run power. I'm slightly considering adding extra power to my rig, but I don't want to worry about being the only one in the history of ever to get busted. Have any of you been pulled over by police and had them say anything about your rig? I know it's not in their jurisdiction, but I assume they could report it to the FCC easy enough.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Re: Police ever bother you about amp?

Post by bluemeanie »

Unless your rig is so incredibly dirty as you run in on their communications and the neighbor doesn't turn you into Uncle Charlie for sitting in the driveway running in on the TV or phone no one will ever know. I know this from personal experience and at least my complaints were directed to me not officials. So as long as you don't run a huge splatterbox no one will no or care. Just my opinion, that and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee in most a American restaurants.
Blue
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If your pulled over by the Police, and they say anything about the fact your running illegal power on a CB Radio...You will be the first person in History to have this happen...

Now it is possible to get pulled over by the Police for talking on a CB radio in a school zone. I have a local here that got ticketed for that. But when he went to court over the ticket, the judge threw it out.

Running illegal power with a CB Radio is so far down the list of things to worry about getting busted for, it's not even funny.

However. If your being a jerk with the radio, like sitting in a fast food line, bleeding all over the stores intercom with your radio or running so much power with a splatter-box radio that you bleed onto Police frequency's or some airport frequency's, then you may have a problem.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

I have heard of hams amd CB'ers being questioned for parking in a public place and talking on the radio for a while. I have heard of a ham who is big in to EmComm getting pulled over for having strobe flashers in his back window. But I have never heard of anyone having trouble for just using power in the CB band.

The only times you might find yourself in trouble is if you are making threats or transmitting outside the band. If you go north of 28Mhz you are treading in dangerous territory (hams love a good fox hunt) but nobody really cares what you do on channel 6.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Local authorities don't have any jurisdiction over communication except for the cell phone/texting law but if you are running gobs of power and making the vehicles lights flashing/strobing then they could pull you over for a mechanical citation and if the officer was a real **** he could send a letter to the FCC but it would be years before they would get around to investigating it. In my younger days I would tape a florescent tube to my antenna and light it up all over town, never was bothered.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

only jurisdiction the police have is to respond to a local complaint when you mess with bleeding over into tv's or bleed into PA systems etc. they will investigate a complaint from locals. that is the only thing they will respond to. I had police come to my house one time because I was bleeding on a persons tv which back in the late 70's RCA tv's were bad about being bad about not having good rejection and I would bleed on there TV. I put a filter on the TV and all was good after that. actually the only reason the police said why they responded to it was the guy kept calling them about bleed over from me.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

As long as you aren't being a nuisance you have nothing to worry about. Even if you are being a nuisance you don't have much to worry about unless they're are some crazy vigilante CBers that pin your coax.

I believe this gave some local authorities jurisdiction back in 2000 didn't it? I've never heard of this being used though.

http://www.arrl.org/arrllette ... 2000-12-01

==>PRESIDENT SIGNS CB ENFORCEMENT BILL

President Bill Clinton has signed legislation that permits the enforcement
of certain FCC Citizens Band regulations by state and local governments.
Amateur Radio operators are exempt from the provisions of the law, now PL
106-521.

Congressional lawmakers saw the measure as a way to give a voice to those
experiencing radio frequency interference resulting from illegal CB radio
operation. The FCC will not yield its authority to regulate Citizens Band or
other radio services, however.

In short, the measure authorizes states and localities to enact laws that
prohibit the use of unauthorized CB equipment--consistent with FCC
regulations. This would include the use of high-power linear amplifiers or
equipment that was not FCC-certificated.

FCC-licensed stations in any radio service--including the Amateur
Service--are excluded from such state or local enforcement, and state or
local laws enacted under this legislation must identify this exemption.

The bill--HR.2346 is the House version; it was S.2767 in the
Senate--actually is the old Senate "Feingold bill" from several sessions
ago. The bill's sponsor, Rep Vernon Ehlers of Michigan says local hams asked
him to support the bill because of the bad rap they were getting from
illegal CBers using high-power linear amplifiers that resulted in TV and
telephone interference while the CBers involved hid behind federal
preemption.

As did Feingold before him, Ehlers asked the ARRL to review his measure to
ensure that it would not unintentionally harm Amateur Radio.

A copy of the new legislation is available on the ARRL Web site at
http://www.arrl.org/news/stor ... bbill.html.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hmm, interesting find 543, this is how the law reads, I'm leaving it in pdf form if someone wants to copy it.

http://uscode.house.gov/statu ... 06/521.pdf

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many

Post by milkman21218 »

Some of you may remember the passing of this Bill in Delaware.

Jul 7, 2010 posted by: Dan Gaffney WGMD Host

Delaware First State in the Nation to Outlaw CB radios?

Note this message from the State House of Representatives about the new cell phone ban including CB radios! Truckers across America should be outraged!

Joseph Fulgham

Communications Officer

Minority Caucus

DE House of Representatives

(302) 744-4184 (office)

Dan,

I heard you mention on today’s show that the exemptions to the ban on the use of hand-held cell phones by motorists covered CB radios. That is not the case. HAM radio operators, and people using two-way radios for business and government purposes, are exempted from the new law (see Week in Review story below). However, CB radio operators are not part of these excluded groups.

Visit Our House Website at:

http://www.delawarestatehouse.com/
•General Assembly Acts to Allow Use of Some Mobile Two-Way Radios

In the closing days of the 2010 legislative session, lawmakers took quick action to exempt some mobile two-way radios from a pending law that would have barred their use by motorists.

Legislation recently signed into law by the governor (HS 1 for HB 229) will prohibit Delaware drivers from using hand-held cell phones or other electronic devices to hold conversations, send text-messages, or access the Internet. The legislation will also outlaw the use of two-way radios in moving vehicles.

A bill (HB 494 w/ HA1) sponsored by State Rep. Ruth Briggs King (R-Georgetown) carves out an exemption from the radio ban for “FCC-licensed amateur radio operators.”

“I tried to amend the original bill to address this, but it failed on a vote of 19 to 20,” Rep. King said. “I know these men and women perform a really important public service especially in times of crisis, such as the severe storms we had this past winter. The second time around, more legislators had a better handle on this issue and the measure passed. I was really glad to get this done.”

State House Majority Leader Pete Schwartzkopf (D-Rehoboth Beach) successfully sponsored a complimentary measure (HB 493) to exempt two-way radios used by delivery and service trucks as well as those utilized by state workers. Rep. Schwartzkopf said while police and first responders were excluded from the original ban, he was embarrassed to admit that he forgot transportation workers and others still use the dated, but proven, technology.

The owners and operators of Citizens’ Band (CB) radios, however, are out of luck. After the ban on mobile devices takes effect in early 2011, drivers using CBs, hand-held cell phones, and personal digital assistants (PDAs) will face penalties. First-time offenders will be hit with a $50 fine, while repeat violators will face a penalty of between $100 and $200.

Delaware will be breaking new ground when the law is implemented. No other state in the country prohibits motorists from using CB radios installed in their vehicles.

On the issue of hand-held cell phones, the First State will actually be the seventh state to enforce the prohibition on motorists. It’s already illegal for drivers to use the devices in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Washington, as it is in the Delaware municipalities of Wilmington and Elsmere.

Additionally, 25 states have enacted laws prohibiting texting while driving.

Supporters of the Delaware law point to the increased distraction caused by cell phone use and the hazard impaired drivers posed to their fellow motorists and pedestrians.

Last year, the National Safety Council (NSC) called for motorists to stop using cell phones and messaging devices while driving. Additionally, the NSC urged governors and legislators in all 50 states to enact laws banning it. Janet Froetscher, president and CEO of the NSC, noted that some studies show talking on a cell phone puts drivers at a four times greater risk of a crash.

Gov. Jack Markell signed all three bills into law at a ceremony July 6th at the AAA Mid-Atlantic headquarters in Wilmington.
Central Maryland

army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

nope, but I knowed where and when not to use it. :cheers:
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
PA629

Post by PA629 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:If your pulled over by the Police, and they say anything about the fact your running illegal power on a CB Radio...You will be the first person in History to have this happen...

Now it is possible to get pulled over by the Police for talking on a CB radio in a school zone. I have a local here that got ticketed for that. But when he went to court over the ticket, the judge threw it out.

Running illegal power with a CB Radio is so far down the list of things to worry about getting busted for, it's not even funny.

However. If your being a jerk with the radio, like sitting in a fast food line, bleeding all over the stores intercom with your radio or running so much power with a splatter-box radio that you bleed onto Police frequency's or some airport frequency's, then you may have a problem.

Are you suggesting that IF someone were to sit in a parking lot (let's say, ohhh, Walmart maybe....) which is alongside an antiquated McDonalds with an antiquated PA/intercom system and fire up their 2 pill or 4 pill amp (depending on which vehicle they were driving that day) and announce at lunch and dinner times that you should try the Special of the Day, Rat McBurger and Rat-fries, that the Mickey D's MIGHT not be overly pleased at your helpfulness? :confused: Hmmmmm, didn't know that......good thing that was never done then, huh? :icon_e_wink: Probably just one of those urban legends.

The equally outdated Burger King across the street probably wouldn't have appreciated help in selling their Flame-broiled Pigeon Nuggets from a car in their lot then either, huh? :icon_e_surprised:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

PA629 wrote:
jessejamesdallas wrote:If your pulled over by the Police, and they say anything about the fact your running illegal power on a CB Radio...You will be the first person in History to have this happen...

Are you suggesting that IF someone were to sit in a parking lot (let's say, ohhh, Walmart maybe....) which is alongside an antiquated McDonalds with an antiquated PA/intercom system and fire up their 2 pill or 4 pill amp (depending on which vehicle they were driving that day) and announce at lunch and dinner times that you should try the Special of the Day, Rat McBurger and Rat-fries, that the Mickey D's MIGHT not be overly pleased at your helpfulness? :confused: Hmmmmm, didn't know that......good thing that was never done then, huh? :icon_e_wink: Probably just one of those urban legends.

The equally outdated Burger King across the street probably wouldn't have appreciated help in selling their Flame-broiled Pigeon Nuggets from a car in their lot then either, huh? :icon_e_surprised:
I know...It's a stretch that they may get upset with you trying to help them out with FREE advertising, but ya never know...

I do know for a fact, that if you sit in the Taco Bell drive-threw and hit the "moaning Jane/ Tarzan yell" noise-toy too much it tends to upset some of the guests trying to eat their tacos inside with their kid-o's! :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
milkman21218
Donor
Donor

Post by milkman21218 »

When Reily was running the FCC Enforcement he told us at our Ham radio club that this bill does just that. It gives all of the Police/ Law enforcement in America authority over CB radio. But not Amateur radio. And I do know that in Maryland the State Police DO enforce CB radio laws on Truck Drivers. If you would cross the scales or any D.O.T. inspection. And they would see a Export/10 meter/Ham radio or an Amp without a License you would be hit with a $7,500 fine. We had several of our Drivers knocked off. That's what made me get my ticket. So you can think what you want. They can ticket a CB operator! Thanks to Mr. Hillary.
Central Maryland

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

milkman21218 wrote:When Reily was running the FCC Enforcement he told us at our Ham radio club that this bill does just that. It gives all of the Police/ Law enforcement in America authority over CB radio. But not Amateur radio. And I do know that in Maryland the State Police DO enforce CB radio laws on Truck Drivers. If you would cross the scales or any D.O.T. inspection. And they would see a Export/10 meter/Ham radio or an Amp without a License you would be hit with a $7,500 fine. We had several of our Drivers knocked off. That's what made me get my ticket. So you can think what you want. They can ticket a CB operator! Thanks to Mr. Hillary.
Doesn't make any since...I can own a HAM radio, or export, I can even drive around with it in my car with it sitting on the dash...There's no law anywhere That I know of that says you have to have a license to own or be in possession of a HAM radio without a HAM license...

To operate the radio and talk on it maybe a different story, but just to have one in your possession without a license is not against any law...Last I checked, a HAM radio did not require a open-carry permit.
Deleted User 14541

A ham radio does not require a permit. Those export radios on the FCC black list are kind of a grey area. I remember a lot of truckers getting sacred of getting caught at a weigh station with an export...maybe it was just the hams trying to scare us. :lol: In 2016 I can't see a reason for anyone would have to worry about this anyway. If they are worried, they can get a ham ticket, an HF radio that covers 11 meters and a big amplifier. The noise toys and echo will have to be put in one of those toy boxes and connected via the mic socket. :twisted:
milkman21218
Donor
Donor

Post by milkman21218 »

We had several of our Drivers with Galaxies get fined $7,500. And I remember UPS telling it's Drivers to remove all Export radios and Amps. Because of a letter from the FCC. I use to run a RCI-2950, President Lincoln or Galaxy DX-99. So I became a Ham. Hoping to get around the law if asked if I have a license to use that radio. We also have a local Ham who hauled fuel for the State Police. When one of the Trooper saw his Yaesu he started writing out a ticket. Saying that he could not have that radio in his truck. He asked the Trooper why not? Trooper says because you need a license. My buddy says the Cop was very upset when he pulled his license out.
Central Maryland

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Sounds like a story Donald Trump would come up with.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

Well I'm not trying to pick a fight or wind somebody up on purpose. OK, here we have a state trooper or DOT IE weigh station employee that is trained in the laws of state and federal TRANSPORTATION laws. In their opinion overworked and underpaid and out of the blue issuing a summons for a FCC federal government regulation. I just find really hard to believe it. So if somebody wouldn't mind please post a copy of a summons that was issued to anyone from a state trooper that shows the paragraph and sub paragraph of FCC regulation that was violated by any trucker anywhere at anytime. Because just saying they payed a fine. What somebody reeled out a card reader and swiped a credit card. Like any other summons there are court dates and dockets to be dealt with. I am well aware that the FCC comes to call on people from time to time most generally responding to repeated complaints. To sum up this little rant of mine, I'm from Missouri... Show Me.
Blue
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
milkman21218 wrote:When Reily was running the FCC Enforcement he told us at our Ham radio club that this bill does just that. It gives all of the Police/ Law enforcement in America authority over CB radio. But not Amateur radio. And I do know that in Maryland the State Police DO enforce CB radio laws on Truck Drivers. If you would cross the scales or any D.O.T. inspection. And they would see a Export/10 meter/Ham radio or an Amp without a License you would be hit with a $7,500 fine. We had several of our Drivers knocked off. That's what made me get my ticket. So you can think what you want. They can ticket a CB operator! Thanks to Mr. Hillary.
Doesn't make any since...I can own a HAM radio, or export, I can even drive around with it in my car with it sitting on the dash...There's no law anywhere That I know of that says you have to have a license to own or be in possession of a HAM radio without a HAM license...

To operate the radio and talk on it maybe a different story, but just to have one in your possession without a license is not against any law...Last I checked, a HAM radio did not require a open-carry permit.
My first radio was a ham radio. Bought it from a well known dealer in my neck of the woods and he didn't mention nothing about having a ham license to own it. Even bought a Texas Star DX 500 shoe to hook to it. Did me a mighty fine job on sitting on the Blue Ridge Parkway talking skip. :cheers:
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
Deleted User 14541

Drivers are known to tell a fishing story from time to time so I haven't taken a lot of this too seriously. About 10 years ago I had a driver telling me about his RCI 2970 and how many channels it had. He told me his wife keyed up on an illegal frequency and shortly after some black SUV's started driving around the truck stop. Luckily they managed to get out of there before they were caught.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

543FtWorth wrote:Drivers are known to tell a fishing story from time to time so I haven't taken a lot of this too seriously. About 10 years ago I had a driver telling me about his RCI 2970 and how many channels it had. He told me his wife keyed up on an illegal frequency and shortly after some black SUV's started driving around the truck stop. Luckily they managed to get out of there before they were caught.
Exactly. I wish I had a dollar for every CB fish-story I've herd over the years...Or better yet, I should have written them all down, and sold them to FOX to make a TV Movie of the week out of! lol :cheers:
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

You would be surprised to know this little fact. Most police officers have no clue what that little amp is. Some don't even know what frequency they are talking on themselves on their public safety communication service system. Laws are different for truck drivers though. Maybe it's "company enforced rules" more than laws I don't know.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
772 alberta
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Homebrew 1/2wave
Radio: Rci 2990 on 10-11mtr

Post by 772 alberta »

Never, they think it's just a silly cber. But here's one for you: pulled up to the front of the bank and forgot the amp was on and every time I keyed up the automatic doors would open.
Another time I was picking up some cheaper gas out of town so figured that I would drive out to the lake about 8 pm or so skip still rolling good, pulled over in the middle of nowhere ( no qrm) amp on and having fun in the pickup killing time before I know it I am getting lit up by the cops. So they come to the window and ask me what I am doing out here. While this is priceless, I said I was shot skip. The looks on there faces, still laugh thinking about it.not a clue. They didnt know if I was putting a needle in my arm or shooting my dog skip or a buddy. So I had to explain shooting skip. Oh ok they said still not getting it,they turned around left. I think they where thinking I was dumping garbage or poaching. Thats one for the history book.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

772 alberta wrote:Never, they think it's just a silly cber. But here's one for you: pulled up to the front of the bank and forgot the amp was on and every time I keyed up the automatic doors would open.
Another time I was picking up some cheaper gas out of town so figured that I would drive out to the lake about 8 pm or so skip still rolling good, pulled over in the middle of nowhere ( no qrm) amp on and having fun in the pickup killing time before I know it I am getting lit up by the cops. So they come to the window and ask me what I am doing out here. While this is priceless, I said I was shot skip. The looks on there faces, still laugh thinking about it.not a clue. They didnt know if I was putting a needle in my arm or shooting my dog skip or a buddy. So I had to explain shooting skip. Oh ok they said still not getting it,they turned around left. I think they where thinking I was dumping garbage or poaching. Thats one for the history book.
Better be careful running a amp around banks, specially after-hours. I set off the alarm system at my bank by sitting in the parking lot "shooting skip"...Had half a dozen cops surround me, and yanking me out of the Suburban, wanting to know "who else was with me"...

Naturally I played dumb and just told them I had stopped in the parking lot to talk to one of my buddy's on the radio...I instantly knew the Amp had set off the alarm, but I wasn't about to admit to it...After a few minutes they let me go after running my drivers license and plates... Could have got ugly real quick if one of the rookies decided to go Rambo on me. :icon_e_surprised:
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

Hey..

I know I've placed an order or 2 from the parking lot near Sonic...and came over the PA at a local Taco shop.

And that's without the RM Italy.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman