Alternator question

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
crazy cajun
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: General Lee

Alternator question

Post by crazy cajun »

Ok, been running car audio setups in local competitions. have upgraded factory alt in 2002 dodge dakota v8 4.7 to a 136 (i think) amp alt. what size amp could be supported on this alt?

i wanna go BIIIIGGGG!!!

or as big as i could go :)
rayray1963

Re: Alternator question

Post by rayray1963 »

1x4 or straight 4 without a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

Jesse James would be one of the best guys here to answer that question. He has a nice rig on his truck and has seen some extreme set ups. I know there is a killer rig called Mechman alternators. I have seen a few of them in action. Google them. They ain't cheap. But as they saying goes, you got to pay to play.
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
gunner57
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Wilson 1000 roof mnt
Radio: Galaxy 95t2-TNT 600H

Post by gunner57 »

The amperage output rating of your alternator is stamped on the case or marked on the data plate.

I have a 130A alternator and two batteries installed in my pick-up. I am running a 4X2879 amp behind a Galaxy 95t2. The Galaxy is dialed low when driving the amp, so it doesn't draw much power on its own. The amp peaks 600W AM and I try to keep it at 450W to 500W on SSB. I have 4 gauge power wires to the amp. I have very slight dimming of the headlights when modulating. It could use 1 more battery in my system to solve it, but the dimming is almost not noticeable. Remember that alternators don't have full output at low RPMs, and are meant to replace power drained from the batteries. They aren't designed to be run at high output for extended periods of time. Below 1400-1500RPM, it is creating only a fraction of the rated output. Adding an auxiliary battery is a good start to keep the amperage fed to the amplifier. So that would be my first suggestion.
Galaxy 95t2-X-force TNT 600HD-102"
Uniden Grant XL
Uniden Madison V4
Galaxy 929
Uniden PC76 XLW
Cobra 146 GTL
Cobra 138 XLR
Cobra 29 WX NW
Cobra 25 WX ST
Johnson 4230
Uniden Pro510XL
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Are you talking about a RF amplifier or audio amplifier? In either case the fore mentioned shop can make an alternator to fit your needs. To get the speed/rpm's up on the alternator you will need to play with the pulley's to get the right size, smaller/faster, larger/slower. A speed shop will carry a variety, most racer's want to slow down the accessories but in your case you want to speed it up for amperage output.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

with that alternator...1x4, or a straight 4 pill will work...

Now if you want to add more battery's, you could move up to a 2x6...

Check out Amplifier builders web sites, they usually have the spec's on each Amp listed so you can see what kind of amperage the unit pulls....Just remember, most of the amperage of your alternator will be needed to power your truck and keep your battery recharged, (or car)...

If you want to move up to something like a 8 pill...Your looking at having dual alternators and maybe one extra battery...Or getting a MotorMaul, and one extra battery.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
crazy cajun
Donor
Donor

Post by crazy cajun »

Well thats cool, i was planning on going with a straight 4. Thanks guys! :)
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Re: Alternator question/ 4 Pill Driver?

Post by str8stroke »

crazy cajun wrote:Well thats cool, i was planning on going with a straight 4. Thanks guys! :)

Not to get off topic, but if you think you have your alternator question answered, then I have a question. What do you plan to drive that 4 pill with?? We can start a new thread if you want or keep going on this one?
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

with the General Lee raio he can run that radio anyway he can but loose and not worry about overdriving the 4pill
if he runs a 1 pill infront of the 4 pill then he now has to turn down his radio and its not if it will ever happen but when it will happen ,, he will forget to retune and poof there goes the magic mudduck smoke
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
crazy cajun
Donor
Donor

Post by crazy cajun »

yep, gonna run the Lee. Been trying to get in touch with radioactive radios to set up my Lee, but still no response :(
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

If you can't get radioactive call GI Joes... he'll contact you back and is very helpful. Very fast shipping and does very good work. I've dealt with him on several occasions and have never had any problems.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
crazy cajun
Donor
Donor

Post by crazy cajun »

Cool deal, i'll give radioactive a couple more days, and if no response, i will call him up, thanks!!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I've bought several radios and Mic's from GI Joe's and never been disappointed... Mater-a-fact, they have some of the fastest shipping of anyone I have ever dealt with.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.