ww228kidd 18V project works!

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Donor
Donor

Post by 998 »

Ok LINX im going to put my 1x2 back in the lil gocart then do you think i will be able to volt it cause on fat boys site my altenator should work it looks like i can but i dont want to go wrong and thanks for all the info and not letting me blow my box up !!! GOOD LOOKING OUT.... and i got pics but dont know where they go i thought i saw a place for them the other day but not i cant find it lol 73's to you all.... :D
J IN THE WOODS OF GEORGIA

73'S CBRT MEMBERS AROUND THE HOUSE HOLD!!!
linx

Post by linx »

998 wrote:Ok LINX im going to put my 1x2 back in the lil gocart then do you think i will be able to volt it cause on fat boys site my altenator should work it looks like i can but i dont want to go wrong and thanks for all the info and not letting me blow my box up !!! GOOD LOOKING OUT.... and i got pics but dont know where they go i thought i saw a place for them the other day but not i cant find it lol 73's to you all.... :D
998, I'm a little mixed on my feelings about Fatboys. There's a local guy that can't run his over 15 volts or it blows ever pill in the box. Then again there's folks on here that run 18 volts on fatboy's all day. I definitely say use a good volt meter, and please do this at your own discretion. I don't want to be responsible because one box may be built inferior to another. Fatboy's are good boxes, and I'm not saying they're not.
sugarcane

Post by sugarcane »

stagecoach wrote:lol well Mr sugar cane how many batt. do you have on your motor maul ....i recommend 8 on your maul and i hope you are using the 250 as a extra alt ..??????........just so you know this will not apply in your application ........the 2 pill and the 6 pill need to run on stock volts..............i would recommend not running the 24 pill over 16 volts ..........still the 250 will have its hands full trying to support a amp that requires 420 amps of draw approx.......use good batt on the motor maul at least 8 of them and you will have a pretty good system depending on the quality of the batt will determine how effective the motor maul will support the 24 pill .................note when i said that this will not apply in you case i was referring to the maul would be better for your system in my opinion ......good luck i know you will have fun with that toy ......lol .......stagecoach........................
4-10 stagecoach!! :D

Yes, will get 8 batteries (12 volts each), and yes will be running the 250 amp alternator as a separate charging system for the 8 batteries. Also, will run the 24 pill at least 14-15 volts only.

You thought me well, Mr. Stagecoach.. thank you so much for your time, sir. :wink:
roadrunner1
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 200

Post by roadrunner1 »

Hello all. Its been a while but I just logged in and felt like sharing my status with my volted amp and I am still rocking Houston with my little 8 pill running in a 4 cylinder Saturn with a 102 whip mounted on a triple magnet on the roof and a small 4 pill driver from a Cobra 200 radio on low power and it bangs 2900 plus on my Astatic with a 400 dk and maintains 2500 as long as I'm revved up past 1400 or 1500 rpm. 6 volt battery isn't holding the charge as long as it use to since I started this project almost a year ago but I'll just buy another battery maybe next month and the charge will last a couple weeks at a time without recharging again. My 8 pill is a custom built box with everything being over done on an etched board also so its not like a Sweet Sixteen or even a Fatboy for that matter so I don't recommend this for every type of box although Fatboy and Davemade's should take the volts just fine. I'm using 9913 coax which provides the cleanest power out of the antenna and handles the watts. LMR400 coax works great too. RG213 coax didn't cut it for me. This site won't let me upload a picture yet so I'll post a picture on one of my websites at shudyconsulting.com/amp2.jpg. Its a bit crowded on my passenger floor board but it works for me as I didn't want to run more wire than I had to and I use the back for other stuff. You can see the 6 volt battery box and the amp and the small driver amp is hidden behind the battery box.
StinkyFinger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Handle: StinkyFinger or Izzy
Radio: RCI-2950 TNT 600+

Re: ww228kidd 18V project works!

Post by StinkyFinger »

For what its worth, I ran my TNT 600 Plus at 18Volts for quite a long time with no problems. Its a MRF455 driving 8 2SC2290 pills. I know the MRF455 is not supposed to be volted but at only like $20, if I cook it then I'll just replace it and figure things out then. Maybe jumper past the 455 and add a modulator to drive the 8 pills. Until then I will hook it back up to 18volts when I get it into my truck (I took a 10 yr CB break for those that didn't read my newby post).
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

Running an amp at a constant 20+ volts, i don't care who's amp it is it will not last long. It will either burn up or watch it blow the tops right off the transistors. I have done it many times myself during early testing. The 2879 is rated at 18 volts max> anything past that and you are on your own. Having said that, yes it can be volted higher, but you better keep the DK low and let it swing. High DK and overvolting will cause smoke quick. Less than a 10 second keydown to be exact.
MECHMAN
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MECHMAN »

You could just as easily run one of our adjustable voltage alternators and a stepdown box for the truck. That way your 6V battery would actually get charged.

If you really wanted to be legit, you could use a Powermaster 16 volt battery ($259) and you wouldn't have to worry about imballanced charging. It would be a lot cleaner too.

With that setup you would have 17.2 volts at rest, 19.0 volts with the engine running. You would then have a 14.5 volt ouput coming out of the stepdown box to run to the truck so that the voltage isn't too high.

I realize it's more money that what you have in your budget setup, but it would work a whole lot better, and yo uwould never have to put anything on a charger. Just a thought.

http://mechman.com/store/prod ... ucts_id/56
http://mechman.com/store/prod ... ucts_id/37
Call us for all your high output alternator and battery needs !!
[/u][/size]

1 - 888 - MECHMAN
-=PEAKABOO=-
Donor
Donor
Handle: PEAKABOO

Re:

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- »

slydog wrote:
The 6 volt isn't being charged so it won't boil over. Some of the keydown guys around here call that "The poor man's volted system".

Yep, people have been doing it that way around here since probably the 80's
"Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke"
Crisco
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950

Post by Crisco »

what 6v battery are yall using exactly.
Crisco
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950

Post by Crisco »

oh and has anyone thought of having two voltage paths. one off the 12vsys and one off the 18v with a switch to select which one you want to run that is what i want to do but i cant find a switch for doing that exactly any ideas would be welcomed.