running batteries inside mobile safely?

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Grump
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Grump »

See how hard it would be to set up another altenator and keep it totally seperate system. But I don't think it would hurt if you ran a wire to the second set of batteries just to charge them as long as your altenator can handle it. But I don't think i would want to run batteries inside cause of the gases they put out when getting a charge and if you smoke never put batteries inside cause the gas is explosive also the gases could cause corroding to things inside and if one cracks can really mess up the interior of your vehicle
Four
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: MM6
Radio: Galaxy dx33

Post by Four »

the semi batteries are possibly on a separate charging system... but when inside a vehicle i have seen guys (mostly audio) use the cheap $10 battery boxes from oreillys and take the lids and just put pvc fittings on and vent them to the outside of the vehicle to prevent any gaseous buildup in the vehicle.. but that requires some other modifications to the outside of the vehicle as well... exactly what kind of jeep do you have.. some of the wranglers still had enough room under the hood that you could put 2 1000cca batteries under there by building your own tray... just takes some time and measuring....

one thing i have never understood... they say to keep batteries out of high temperature areas.. yet auto manufacturers put them under the hood close to a 200 degree engine... lol
MUDDY DUCK
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Re: running batteries inside mobile safely?

Post by MUDDY DUCK »

On my Grand cherokee I put a snorkel on it , which gets rid of the the stock air cleaner box ,and gives you room for a second battery ...Sealed batteries like optimas can be mounted inside the vehicle in any position without the problems previously mentioned .
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

The problem with having any lead/acid battery inside something is the fumes given off by that battery type. They are acidic and are a problem with things around it. Containing those type batteries, and venting them (forced air if around people) is a very, very good idea. Then there are the other things. Don't let them tip over, the acidic stuff will spill and that's not good. A little bit of room between a battery and anything around it is sort of good too, keeps things from shorting, etc. You see where that's all going??
- 'Doc
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi SwampHog

Do not light a cigarette inside a vehicle that has a lead acid battery. The byproduct is Hydrogen gas. I know that some foreign cars, like Volkswagen, used to keep the battery under the rear seat. I never thought that was a good idea. Putting a bank of lead acid batteries inside a jeep safely will be a challenge.

If you get hit in a rear end collision you can be burned by the acid or ignite the Hydrogen gas. Just something to keep in mind.

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
Alien Abductor

Post by Alien Abductor »

swamphog is a mudduck!
Rider On The Storm

Post by Rider On The Storm »

I once saw a Silverado with two 100 amp alternators, going to the stock battery under the hood, then from that battery, two zero gauge conductors running to 4 optima yellow tops in series under the backseat. Although more expensive, optimas are safe to be in an enclosed space with and the only brand I would go with for a situation like that.

He used it to run a 2 pill driving an 8 pill.

Although I dont know if the second alternator is necessary, I wouldnt go without it, because if all 5 of those batterys are fairly low, thats a huge load for one alternator.

Hope that helps
Tugboat
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Illudium PU-36

Post by Tugboat »

There is a battery box used in the RV market that has a outside venting system. I have this box installed in my Jeep XJ for the second battery.
shooter
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by shooter »

think about this , corvettes and volkswagons had the battery inside the passenger compartment for years with no problems . they were not vented to the outside . i had a few very high power car audio systems with multiple batteries in car " inside battery boxes " never a problem . most batteries are sealed today anyway . as for exploding gases , i cant imagine enough gas coming out of a battery to case an explosion .

quality batteries , boxes and safe wiring and fusing . no problems .

good luck
Animal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Animal
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: General Lee

Post by Animal »

If you have ever seen one explode, you would think differently. I had one explode on me one time. I was not badly hurt, but was covered with acid and hit with a few pieces of the case. Just my two cents, but I would never want a lead acid battery in the cab with me. An Optima dry cell battery might be a safer consideration for inside installation.
Mark
Mack Trucks Are Pulling Trucks!

If You Want Big Horsepower, You Must Have Big Cox Motorsports!
ogdoa
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Maco v5000/102"
Radio: Cobra 2000/RCI2970

Post by ogdoa »

shooter wrote:think about this , corvettes and volkswagons had the battery inside the passenger compartment for years with no problems . they were not vented to the outside . i had a few very high power car audio systems with multiple batteries in car " inside battery boxes " never a problem . most batteries are sealed today anyway . as for exploding gases , i cant imagine enough gas coming out of a battery to case an explosion .

quality batteries , boxes and safe wiring and fusing . no problems .

good luck
I had one blow the hood off of my 79 camaro and that is not a light hood.
Sometimes you feel like a duck....sometimes you dont.
151 FRIED CHICKEN
Branson, MO
Home channel
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

When a battery explodes under the hood, it will push the hood up like an inverted V dipole, you dont want that to happen 3 feet behind your head!! Optima wo8uld be your best bet, but contrary to popular belief they TOO have vents on the batteries themselves to vent out gasses. The optima is a "gel cell" battery and thats why they can be mounted in any position, it doesnt mean they dont have a vent on them, if batteries did not have vents, they would build up pressure and cause major problems right away. Depending on how much fabrication you want to do, you can cut a hole in the floorboard and weld hinges to it, weld a steel box under the jeep and keep the second battery there, if space under the hood is an issue. I had a buddy who did this to store his big tow straps.....

Snowman
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

A quick-n-dirty recommendation is to 'contain' and 'vent' those batteries. That's not a bad idea even with those 'sealed' batteries. They may not produce any gases but even a little bit of those kinds of gases are bad news to health, let alone just property.
- 'Doc
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Agree with Doc, they DO give off some gases, just because they are "gel cell" technology, doesnt mean they dont produce harmful gasses. I worked for a company for 5 years that was a wholesale distributor for Optima, they made us to go ALL the boring classes!!!

Snowman
executioner
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Executioner

Post by executioner »

420Snowman wrote:Agree with Doc, they DO give off some gases, just because they are "gel cell" technology, doesnt mean they dont produce harmful gasses. I worked for a company for 5 years that was a wholesale distributor for Optima, they made us to go ALL the boring classes!!!

Snowman
Did any of them classes talk about how the vents work on them gel cell Optimas ?
If you don't mind sharing I am listening .
heavyD
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Heavy-D
Antenna: imax, steel whip
Radio: galaxy,cobra,uniden

Post by heavyD »

All gel cell batteries to have vents... they recycle the hydrogen and oxygen inside when charging. When they are over charged they vent just like the oldies. I wouldn't trust that the alternator is not pushing that battery to that threshhold as far a putting them in a sealed box. I do feel comfortable running gel cells in the cab. The army version of the Humvee has the battery compartment under the seat. They run mostly gel cells now but this is relitively new though. 10 years ago they were lead acid and still under the drivers seat.
Heavy-D. 529 in the Pile
smooth16
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by smooth16 »

summit racing has some great battery boxes.
lucas
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cherokee CBS-1000

Post by lucas »

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi SwampHog

Do not light a cigarette inside a vehicle that has a lead acid battery. The byproduct is Hydrogen gas. I know that some foreign cars, like Volkswagen, used to keep the battery under the rear seat. I never thought that was a good idea. Putting a bank of lead acid batteries inside a jeep safely will be a challenge.

If you get hit in a rear end collision you can be burned by the acid or ignite the Hydrogen gas. Just something to keep in mind.

Respectfully,
Funny you said that. because there is still one company still installing them under the back seats, Buick, when me and my uncle went to look under the hood of his Lasabre for the battery there was nothing, so we looked in the trunk, still nothing. Looked under the back seat and there it was, battery and engine fuse box. All that was keeping the gases from the battery from entering the car was a single 1/4 inch tube from the top of the battery through the floor..
TRC 449
TRC 242
TRC 454 (FUN FUN) (8) Ring ring ring BANNANA phone (8)
Uniden 68XL
K-40
Antron 99
Home made ground plane
:)
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

I'm finding out that there are a lot of the newer cars with the battery 'inside' of them rather than under the hood. Those batteries are typically the AGM type, or 'glass-mat' thingys. They do less venting than most batteries. (My 'HHR' battery is mounted where the spare is, under the back floor board. Can't say I'm thrilled with it, but where the #3// else could you put it?)
There are some precautions that just make good sense. I would think taking those precautions to the 'over-kill' limits is certainly better than no precautions at all. Suit yourself...
- 'Doc
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart »

The best idea is the battery box that vents. Why take any chance on inhaling any toxic fumes ? Research finding a box to encase your cells that will allow you to vent the fumes outside the passenger compartment.

3's
The world is a cold free toilet
maters
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by maters »

In the 80's I had an old Plymouth that mounted the battery in the trunk to gain traction. Battery let loose while driving it and the best way an former marine can describe it, was a grenade going off behind me and blew the trunk lid open.
I run optimas in an aluminum box in the suv and still get scared.
Hondarider
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Nick
Antenna: A99
Radio: Cobra 29, Royce 632

Post by Hondarider »

maters wrote:In the 80's I had an old Plymouth that mounted the battery in the trunk to gain traction. Battery let loose while driving it and the best way an former marine can describe it, was a grenade going off behind me and blew the trunk lid open.
I run optimas in an aluminum box in the suv and still get scared.
Lol would one battery really make you gain traction? I wouldn't think that one battery would make a difference. Maybe 10...
Have a good one.
Hondarider
maters
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by maters »