DaveMade,Fatboy or Xforce

This section is about Keydown Competition rigs or high performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the place !

Moderator: JR Moderator

333 Andy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Magnum S9
Antenna: Maco V 5/8
Name: Andy Hanway
Cell Phone: 208-899-9882

DaveMade,Fatboy or Xforce

Post by 333 Andy » Sunday, 08 May 2011, 23:06 PM

I'am in the market to get a base amp and a mobile amp.Witch of these builders would give me the best customer service,best product and best bang for the buck?

Rdm155
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Name: Jim spellman
Cell Phone: 2088591118

Re: DaveMade,Fatboy or Xforce

Post by Rdm155 » Monday, 09 May 2011, 23:20 PM

Force

333 Andy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 333 Andy » Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 17:36 PM

You really think the xforce is the better way to go there rdm versus davemade?Hello 333 waving!I have just been keeping my options open and doing alot of research...

Rooster173
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Rooster173 » Wednesday, 11 May 2011, 21:59 PM

333 Andy wrote:You really think the xforce is the better way to go there rdm versus davemade?Hello 333 waving!I have just been keeping my options open and doing alot of research...
May the force be with you,XFORCE all the way, At one time i considered dave made but he got pretty rude with me on phone.

333 Andy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 333 Andy » Friday, 13 May 2011, 19:19 PM

I have heard alot of people tell me the same thing about him being really rude and I will not give my money to someone who really doesn't give a rats gluteus maxims about there customers.So that being said and the xforce man responding to every question I have with good responce he will be #1 in my ordering quest! :icon_e_smile:

maters
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by maters » Saturday, 14 May 2011, 19:41 PM

Basically all the same. I have heard, not experienced, fatboys have been having issues. I own all three and all have been quality products.

I have intentionally asked Joe dumb questions to stir him up and he has responded decently. Not rude but short. I would rather have a tech give me a true answer than a sales guy BS.

I sent Xforce a question about a 16 pill b-biased amp and got a response Sunday morning by cell phone with a price.

Anymore, I ask for a quote and by from the lowest bidder.

Big_Mic
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Big_Mic » Sunday, 15 May 2011, 7:15 AM

Will make a difference also, if you wanted B Biasing, than Dave made won't do it either.... he says for the Sissy Amps go to X brand... LOL.
Stryker 497HPC/Texas Star Sweet 16/K-40 Coily Antenna's
Yaesu FT 101EE/Alpha (2) 4CX1000's/8 Element beam Flat Side
8 Antenna's in all covering 160-2 Meter

The Pics below give the rest of the story...

Crisco
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI 2950
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Name: chris benefield
Cell Phone: 2563422325

Post by Crisco » Thursday, 23 June 2011, 12:22 PM

I dont know bout customer service and all that i have a friend that is kind of an expert on all this stuff so i usually just call him but as far as a box i got a davemade 2x8 for a killer deal and it kicks butt.if that one blows up ill buy another tomorrow.

Darrin
Donor
Donor
Referrals: 1

Post by Darrin » Friday, 24 June 2011, 14:44 PM

I would have to pass on all the names mentioned and continue to do your home work and asking a lot of questions and doing some Google searches and feel comfortable before you buy.

Over the past few years I think the amp builders that are currently building are not really into it anymore and the quality has gone to Sh_t. If I had to make a choice today I would have to go with a Texas Star as you can never go wrong owning one of those Amplifiers, I have owned several over the years and never had any issues and always got great reports back. It all comes down to what you are wanting to do with this box as to whom I would consider the builder to be also.

Peek A Boo would always be my first choice in building me a box but he is a busy guy and hard to get him to build anything these days. You can find him on this Forum as well as others too.

Good Luck,

Cotton Mouth/Darrin

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Radio: Yaesu FT-991
Antenna: 700' Loop
Name: Kerry

Post by Lost Ram » Thursday, 25 August 2011, 12:44 PM

I went with X-force due to the service I got. I am so happy with my base 6 pill. This is the first 6 pill that I can use on SSB, even my so called B bias (other mentioned name) box was garbage on SSB. I have had locals come and look so I could prove to them I was running a comp box on SSB. I do agree Peek A Boo is the way to go if you can round him and the cash up. His biasing is said to be the one of the best out there. I wonder what one of his base 6 pills go for????
CB: TRC-450, Imax@50'
Ham : Yaesu FT-857D, FT-897D, FT-990 and FT-991, FT-8900
Ham Antennas: 700' and 258' wire loop, Maco shooting Star tuned for 10 Meter, 250' doublet, 8E 2M Quad-SSB, 4E 2M Quad-FM, 2M Copper Slim Jim 2M omni.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.

333 Andy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 333 Andy » Thursday, 25 August 2011, 17:59 PM

It will be a X Force, witch one I don't know yet because I don't know if I will be a 98vhp for the drving the 6 pill witch is cheaper but I want to loaf along and not overdrive the box so I might go with the 8 pill witch is like $400 more but should be worth it.

:mrgreen:

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram » Friday, 26 August 2011, 4:39 AM

333 Andy wrote:It will be a X Force, witch one I don't know yet because I don't know if I will be a 98vhp for the drving the 6 pill witch is cheaper but I want to loaf along and not overdrive the box so I might go with the 8 pill witch is like $400 more but should be worth it.

:mrgreen:
Be sure you call and talk to them when you make your order. Let them know what you have and the watts you are hitting it with and whether or not you are using SSB even if its just a little.
Ham Antennas: 700' and 258' wire loop, Maco shooting Star tuned for 10 Meter, 250' doublet, 8E 2M Quad-SSB, 4E 2M Quad-FM, 2M Copper Slim Jim 2M omni.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.

333 Andy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 333 Andy » Friday, 26 August 2011, 20:09 PM

Sounds good!

rich33
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Rich
Cell Phone: 4072210533

Post by rich33 » Sunday, 30 March 2014, 3:54 AM

Out of Fatboy, davemade, or X Force I would go with Fatboy. Fatboy amps are works of art with excellent soldering and assembly. Davemade and X Force have soldering that looks rough with flux splattered all over the board.
All the amps listed have the same by component makeup, so you have to choose the best assembly and that goes to Fatboy by a country mile.
Davemade charges so much more than X Force and Fatboy for the same amp configuration, it's hysterical.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Post by 543FtWorth » Sunday, 30 March 2014, 7:03 AM

If you don't go bigger than a 4 pill fatboy is fine. His solder jockeys don't know how (or just think close enough is good) to tune the lc network used to combine the stages of larger amps. They are cheaper for a reason. I've fixed a few fatboy short comings. They were all minor things but if you're buying a new amp it should be right.

Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Alot of 'em!!
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Name: Michael
Home Phone: 205-683-9333
Cell Phone: 205-400-5810

Post by Sporty Mike » Sunday, 30 March 2014, 22:24 PM

Fatboy:grin:

Mike

Sent from Sporty Mike's phone.
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!

tenderfoot
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: dx2517
Antenna: Imax 2000
Name: Ronnie

Post by tenderfoot » Tuesday, 27 May 2014, 17:23 PM

Mike come on now----------Davemade all the way. No really I guess what ever people run will give their amp a shout out.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 27 May 2014, 18:09 PM

Fatboy and X Force BOTH got their start by copying Davemade...

Now if it were me.....And I was looking for a Amp for the base, I wouldn't go with either of those three........I went with Tube's...No tearing up the neighbors electronics, no need for a transformer to run one...Just plug-n-go.

Now X Force has started building tube Amps this year, and they maybe a better way to go...Provided you can afford one of them...They are "pricy"...

But for the mobile....It's a Davemade World...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 543FtWorth » Tuesday, 27 May 2014, 19:08 PM

I wouldn't run a pill amp on a base if I had neighbors. There's a lot of nasty coming out of a broad banded pill box. A little 2 pill or something would be cool but not much more.

Ceramic toob amps are expensive to build but they sure beat old glass. If you're smart about the toob its built around you can find medical pulls cheap. They seem pricy but if you've ever priced a good size plate transformer you know why. 70-80 lbs of transformer ain't cheap. They usually need a lot less drive (especially a tetrode) than a comparable pill amp...less money spent on a driver and power supply to run it.

Still cheaper for a lot of us to run pills because we might already have the power supply and the driver but if building a big station from scratch you'll get a lot of bang for your buck with steel.

tenderfoot
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: dx2517
Antenna: Imax 2000
Name: Ronnie

Post by tenderfoot » Tuesday, 27 May 2014, 19:20 PM

My davemade is a tube amp. It runs 4-- 4cx250b tubes.

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram » Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 19:56 PM

Just an update. My X-Force 6 pill did burn up the output combiner so I updated it with 5 watt resistors instead of the 2 watt. I still like it. For a bleed type box its relatively clean by these standards. If I keep the modulation down like one should I dont get into anything at my house/shop or the folks about a football field+ away even hitting full RMS about 700W at 18V.
To this day I dont know why it happened. One day the output dropped out and I smelled it. I only changed the resistors, the station is still the same beside its a bit older now and my Pine Tree Tower has grown LOL. I chalked it up to a faulty component or maybe a power surge but I didnt notice any surge????
Thomas Jefferson.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 543FtWorth » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 4:49 AM

If a resistor on the output combiner smoked you have an imbalance between stages. The 5 watt resistor is just covering it up. If it is properly balanced 1/2 watt resistors won't even get warm.

The resistors can also burn if you pop a pill....because of the imbalance it creates. Since all of your pills are still good xforce needs to make good on their mess instead of hiding it under the rug. No power surge causes this, lack of quality control is what did.

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 7:57 AM

I had the 5W so I used those because I only had two of the 2W. Two of the pill sets had less then desirable solder points at the power bar and pills, well OK it was awful but, I didn't figure this caused it seeing it still had connection but it was pretty bad so who knows. I took it to the HAM down the road as he it a good fella. He always tells me to drive may car there because it does not have a CB antenna on it LOL. He has a scope and helps me when I cant find a problem with something. He said it all worked as intended and then preached to me about just getting my operators license again as he always does.
This problem happened about three weeks after I got it. The reflect looks good with the amp on, depending where I am at no more then 4-6%, its not perfect but reasonable.
Thomas Jefferson.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 543FtWorth » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 10:33 AM

Being a Ham operator doesn't make someone qualified to repair anything but he sounds like good people. Your 6 pill is 3 2 pill stages combined. You won't see too many Ham quality amps with enough pills to need an LC network to tune them. Building big pill amps is really a CB thing.

If one of those stages is producing more or less than another stage the balancing resistor on the combiner will warm up. The more of an imbalance there is the more heat will be dissipated by the resistors. Putting a bigger resistor will not solve the root cause but as you've found out, the amp will still function.

It could be something very simple like cap values. Just because it says X value on the cap you will see differences from part to part, this is why its good to find matching pieces for a larger amp. Coax length from each stage to the combiner is another thing. If this is a newer amp with dei pills that may be your problem. Not so much the pills but the builder may have not taken the time to find matching transistors...the gain of each dei can be very different from the next one. The qc on the new pills isn't like the old Toshiba that could be thrown in and rock on.

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 13:07 PM

Its an older one, its got the red dots, about 6-7 years old I guess. I have had it awhile. This HAM builds his own tube amps and transistor amps, he is a bit outlaw with his Mobil stuff. He said for a couple hundred he would bias my 6 pill if I ever wanted to. He said he could clean up the SSB as I sound a bit harsh as he stated.
Maybe I'll drop the 2 watts back in and see what happens, I have a few packs of them now. Seeing I had this issue just about 3 weeks into you would think with the 2 watts it would happen again pretty quickly.

This guy seems pretty sharp, I have learned a lot about antenna stuff from him. This has really helped me understand how the transmission side works. I have cheat sheets to help with the antenna math as its to much to memorize at once or even after a few years. He always tells me to trust the math not the DOSY combination meter LOL!!! The antenna analyzer he told be to buy helps a ton as well. I really like the FMJ.
Thomas Jefferson.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 543FtWorth » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 18:16 PM

Are the 5 watts heating up? If there getting warm don't bother with the 2 watts unless you're out to solve the problem. You may not burn up the 2 watts but there's nothing to be gained by changing them. They won't help performance a but but heavy duty resistors are not necessary if the amp is right. If the 5s are running cool put some 2 watts on the combiner and hammer on it. Feel the resistors between keys and see if they are heating up. Put a dab of thermal paste on your finger and you'll know very quickly if there warming up.

If something else is going on fix it before you try to add a bias circuit. Another thing to consider is there will be no more volting the amp. Use it at or close to the voltage the bias was set up on.

The fact he didn't tell you why the resistor burned doesn't give him much credibility. Don't let the fact that he builds his own amps fool you. Most people building amps just follow instructions. If you can read a schematic a tube box is an easy build. Troubleshooting is what separates the builders from the true technician. Hams and CBers alike can be mislead by someone they trust or look up to. People can be very convincing if they truly believe the things they are telling you. This also applies to the info I'm giving you now....in the end the decision is yours.

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 19:28 PM

They stay warm but I dont have to pull my fingers away after touching them from a 45-60-ish second key up. I am lost on why it went up but it sure did!!! In smoke!!! It was quick to, working what seemed to be OK, then the meter dropped off. Next day I put the 5 Watts in and hit the ugly solder joints and its been fine since. I value your info you give on here, its honest, and I like that. I am no dummy when it comes to electrical stuff but, I only worked in 5V digital and 3 phase motor controls for most if my life. I understand the 12V theory but am no EXPERT for sure.
The HAM guy said the bad connections at the 12V bar is likely the blame because my brother claims he thought the center pill circuit 12V supply was not even attached. I was over the top and it just looked like a bad solder job to me so I hit with the iron as I did with the others. All this time I thought he was wrong but maybe I was the one wrong????
Kerry
Thomas Jefferson.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 543FtWorth » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 19:48 PM

Lost Ram wrote:The HAM guy said the bad connections at the 12V bar is likely the blame
Its possible that one section was getting lower voltage, that made the imbalance worse causing the resistor(s) to smoke but that's just a stab in the dark. If those resistors are still getting warm you still have an issue. No if's, and's or but's. The amp may run a very long time like this or it may not. Best of luck to you.

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 20:09 PM

I figured that was a stab too, but my brother said it was not even attached. I thought it was just a bad solder job, hell, I am a diabetic with the typical eye failure and dont have real good close up vision anyway but, I thought it was better then what he claimed. Maybe he was right and one section was not getting power which would cause an imbalance. I might have to eat some crow on this one. I hate to admit my little brother was right?? What am I good for now??? LOL!!

-- Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm --

I just had the cover off today thinking I was going to remove the 5 watts and put 2 watts in but its got 2 watts already. I was mistaken when I thought I put 5W's in it. Old age is like a female breading dog!!!!
Thomas Jefferson.

lightning293
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: Cobra 25 LTD
Antenna: RF Ltd BIC12
Name: Romeo Oscar Yankee
Cell Phone: 8089606417

Post by lightning293 » Saturday, 03 December 2016, 13:27 PM

Has anybody ever compared any of these to the **Non Sponsor** Amps? I'm also considering a comp amp and noticed they weren't in the mix

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic