DaveMade,Fatboy or Xforce

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
Deleted User 14541

Re: DaveMade,Fatboy or Xforce

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Are the 5 watts heating up? If there getting warm don't bother with the 2 watts unless you're out to solve the problem. You may not burn up the 2 watts but there's nothing to be gained by changing them. They won't help performance a but but heavy duty resistors are not necessary if the amp is right. If the 5s are running cool put some 2 watts on the combiner and hammer on it. Feel the resistors between keys and see if they are heating up. Put a dab of thermal paste on your finger and you'll know very quickly if there warming up.

If something else is going on fix it before you try to add a bias circuit. Another thing to consider is there will be no more volting the amp. Use it at or close to the voltage the bias was set up on.

The fact he didn't tell you why the resistor burned doesn't give him much credibility. Don't let the fact that he builds his own amps fool you. Most people building amps just follow instructions. If you can read a schematic a tube box is an easy build. Troubleshooting is what separates the builders from the true technician. Hams and CBers alike can be mislead by someone they trust or look up to. People can be very convincing if they truly believe the things they are telling you. This also applies to the info I'm giving you now....in the end the decision is yours.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Post by Lost Ram »

They stay warm but I dont have to pull my fingers away after touching them from a 45-60-ish second key up. I am lost on why it went up but it sure did!!! In smoke!!! It was quick to, working what seemed to be OK, then the meter dropped off. Next day I put the 5 Watts in and hit the ugly solder joints and its been fine since. I value your info you give on here, its honest, and I like that. I am no dummy when it comes to electrical stuff but, I only worked in 5V digital and 3 phase motor controls for most if my life. I understand the 12V theory but am no EXPERT for sure.
The HAM guy said the bad connections at the 12V bar is likely the blame because my brother claims he thought the center pill circuit 12V supply was not even attached. I was over the top and it just looked like a bad solder job to me so I hit with the iron as I did with the others. All this time I thought he was wrong but maybe I was the one wrong????
Kerry
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Lost Ram wrote:The HAM guy said the bad connections at the 12V bar is likely the blame
Its possible that one section was getting lower voltage, that made the imbalance worse causing the resistor(s) to smoke but that's just a stab in the dark. If those resistors are still getting warm you still have an issue. No if's, and's or but's. The amp may run a very long time like this or it may not. Best of luck to you.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Post by Lost Ram »

I figured that was a stab too, but my brother said it was not even attached. I thought it was just a bad solder job, hell, I am a diabetic with the typical eye failure and dont have real good close up vision anyway but, I thought it was better then what he claimed. Maybe he was right and one section was not getting power which would cause an imbalance. I might have to eat some crow on this one. I hate to admit my little brother was right?? What am I good for now??? LOL!!

-- Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm --

I just had the cover off today thinking I was going to remove the 5 watts and put 2 watts in but its got 2 watts already. I was mistaken when I thought I put 5W's in it. Old age is like a female breading dog!!!!
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
lightning293
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Handle: 293
Call Sign: KH6KU
Antenna: RF Ltd BIC12
Radio: Cobra 25 LTD

Post by lightning293 »

Has anybody ever compared any of these to the **Non Sponsor** Amps? I'm also considering a comp amp and noticed they weren't in the mix