Placement of antenna

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
Goldhawk
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy

Placement of antenna

Post by Goldhawk »

I'm thinking about getting a Pontiac Trans Sport van so I can have some room to run what I want to run. I was wondering because I've always gone 18 inches from the back of the vehicle to my antenna but how far from the back of your vehicle should the antenna be? I'm just going to be running one antenna for now. I have a Nugatron, I could also use a 102 inch whip and I have a Wilson 5000. Now with the 102 inch whip I always got a good SWR but the watts only showed half the watts that I was getting with the Nugatron which has the same SWR. Also with the Nugatron I noticed the recieve is lower, but this could possibly be solved when I get the Trans Sport since I'm only in a Ford Ranger right now.

I just need some pointers and I should have this on the road by the middle of next week.
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Re: Placement of antenna

Post by 85 »

Goldhawk wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Pontiac Trans Sport van so I can have some room to run what I want to run. I was wondering because I've always gone 18 inches from the back of the vehicle to my antenna but how far from the back of your vehicle should the antenna be? I'm just going to be running one antenna for now. I have a Nugatron, I could also use a 102 inch whip and I have a Wilson 5000. Now with the 102 inch whip I always got a good SWR but the watts only showed half the watts that I was getting with the Nugatron which has the same SWR. Also with the Nugatron I noticed the recieve is lower, but this could possibly be solved when I get the Trans Sport since I'm only in a Ford Ranger right now.

I just need some pointers and I should have this on the road by the middle of next week.
I thought the Pontiac Transport is made of composite or plastic body panels.....that won't work. At least buy a Van that's made out of metal.
I know a couple of guys running killer 8 pill setups in Rangers, so it isn't the vehicle that's the problem.
slydog

Re: Placement of antenna

Post by slydog »

Goldhawk wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Pontiac Trans Sport van so I can have some room to run what I want to run. I was wondering because I've always gone 18 inches from the back of the vehicle to my antenna but how far from the back of your vehicle should the antenna be? I'm just going to be running one antenna for now. I have a Nugatron, I could also use a 102 inch whip and I have a Wilson 5000. Now with the 102 inch whip I always got a good SWR but the watts only showed half the watts that I was getting with the Nugatron which has the same SWR. Also with the Nugatron I noticed the recieve is lower, but this could possibly be solved when I get the Trans Sport since I'm only in a Ford Ranger right now.

You are going to run a Transport as a keydown vehicle. I know your post is just a gag but a Geo metro would be a better keydown vehicle than a Transport.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

They are right about the lack of metal in a vehicle and the ground plane (lack of) issues that will ensue. Mounting location will be important depending if you want the antenna to be directional somewhat or truly omnidirectional (center mounted on the vehicle will provide 360 degrees of radiation)

Look at this link for some mounting ideas/issues:
http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Foxhunter wrote:They are right about the lack of metal in a vehicle and the ground plane (lack of) issues that will ensue. Mounting location will be important depending if you want the antenna to be directional somewhat or truly omnidirectional (center mounted on the vehicle will provide 360 degrees of radiation)

Look at this link for some mounting ideas/issues from K0BG:
http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html
One more good link from SIGNAL ENGINEERING:
http://www.signalengineering. ... ennas.html