How to make a COMP RIG

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
BigBlue 442
Donor
Donor

How to make a COMP RIG

Post by BigBlue 442 »

This is a list as I see it (truly knowing nothing about comp rigs)

The first and most important thing is sell off all of your other worldly possessions (you will win these back later)
Next buy a mid to late 80's Suburban. Then strip off all unnecessary items from the burb IE the ac unit, rear seats , headliner,stereo and any other item that may use power or take up space. Once complete we need to add a few things, Mainly alternators (as many as you can fit in, under ,or around the engine compartment).Batteries will be next on the list and as many of these as the law will allow will be needed maybe more (get a friend to buy some for you). Wire is next and the bigger the better, If you see some big wire and say " Good God that's BIG WIRE" buy the next biggest size. Now for the antenna, You want a setup that looks like you drove through a playground and got the monkey bars caught on your Burb. Next add coax, but not just any coax. It will need to look like a fire hose cause in a strange way it is DA FIRE HOSE. Time for the pills! For these you want to think of a number from 1 to (highest number you know) and multiple that times 10 cause thats what the other guy will be running. OK we are close to the end of the list.You are going to need a radio (buy cheap cause they melt easy,this can also be said about the pills) a simple cobra 25 or 29 will do nicely. Last but not lest, the most important thing: Large roll of tin foil (you will need to make a hat for your-self and the people you like). The proper placement of the tin foil is vital as RF has no friends and people will still stand in front of your Burb as it bakes their goodies.NOW GO AND DROP THE MAUL ON THE WORLD

****this is for entertainment purposes only****
Last edited by BigBlue 442 on November 24th, 2007, 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Post by »

I will have to try that..

Donate here

J-570

Post by J-570 »

In a less technical aspect... that's pretty damn close... nice job..

Don't forget to take out a home equity loan in the beginning to pay for everything.
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

you ought to be a writer 442, your storys are brlliant.lmao.
Last edited by busman on November 24th, 2007, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlue 442
Donor
Donor

Post by BigBlue 442 »

Thanks busman I calls them as I sees them.
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

Since there is more truth than joke in this I moved it where it belongs, here.

I know several keydown boys who are just about in this description.
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Funny but true lol. now if only I had some possessions to sell........
ww228kidd
Donor
Donor

Post by ww228kidd »

somebody is trying to jump in way too big way too fast....if they do that ....they are **Censored**...one thing at a time...unless you hit the lotto...like i said before...comp CB equipment, is just like, bass boats, harleys, 4x4 trucks, guns, race cars, 4 wheelers, import cars, crotch rockets, hoes, or any other hobby...you pay to play, but you must have fun while doing it...
Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Here is the antenna system...

Post by Skater229 »

55 Antenna Magic...

Read that and it should answer most questions, or it could bring up more...

Skater
BushHog
Handle: Bushhog
Radio: general lee

Post by BushHog »

everybody use the suburbans? I know where one near me is for sale .................hmmmmmm maybe just maybe
Mad Bomber
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Mad Bomber »

I think that a Suburban would be the best choice as they have gigantic engine compartments, and a metric sh*t ton of space in the back to put all your pills, wires, batteries etc. and a suspension that will handle the weight of said equipment without looking like a lowrider. Not to mention a roof that you could land a 747 on. It gives you alot of options as to where you put your antennas.
Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 »

BushHog wrote:everybody use the suburbans? I know where one near me is for sale .................hmmmmmm maybe just maybe

I had a S10 pick-up with a 5 antenna system that did really well... There are pics of it floating around... But the next one I do might be a burb due to space inside...

Skater
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by 85 »

I would love to go with a 12 alternator Suburban and run the 128 pill class but the welfare check barely covers my beer and cigarettes.
HI-TECH

Post by HI-TECH »

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

85 wrote:I would love to go with a 12 alternator Suburban and run the 128 pill class but the welfare check barely covers my beer and cigarettes.
Well....Let's say your smoking about 2 pac's of cigarettes a day...Now, if you could cut back to maybe just 1 pac a day, by the end of a year, based on cig. costing $5.25 a pac, you will have $1916.25 to put towards your set-up!

Now, if you could only "Kick the Habit" Totally, You now have $3832.50 to spend! (probably more like $4K)

$4000.00 will go along way for a bunch of pill's! Next, if you get religion, and stop drinking, you can probably add another 4K of savings on the beer you won't be buying...

Now were up to at least $8K of savings to spend on the set-up. In just ONE Year! :shock:

OK...Next, after you have quit the smoking habit, and stopped drinking most-likely you will develop a eating disorder, and gain 100 pounds, so you will probably be spending lots of money on doctor bill's and surgery's for things like "Liposuction" "Tummy-Tucks" and High Priced Healthy alternative Food's, which over a year probably would cost somewhere in the $20,000.00 range...

So....$20,000 minus your $8K of savings, your now at $12,000 in the hole...Bye-Bye set-up! :cry:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Funny this should come up. I was just laying under the front of my jeep figuring out where the 2nd alt will go. I'll never have a comp rig, but in March, I will be celebrating 25 years in the hobby, at least at a serious non walkie talkie level. I plan to commemorate it by having 100 watts per year in the hobby in my mobile. While I'm at it, I guess I'll get enough to celebrate the 30th too. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
DixieEcho82
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: RCI, Galaxy, Uniden

Re: How to make a COMP RIG

Post by DixieEcho82 »

:lol:
VeeDubTDI
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Gainmaster
Radio: Galaxy 959, Cobra 29

Post by VeeDubTDI »

drdx wrote:Funny this should come up. I was just laying under the front of my jeep figuring out where the 2nd alt will go. I'll never have a comp rig, but in March, I will be celebrating 25 years in the hobby, at least at a serious non walkie talkie level. I plan to commemorate it by having 100 watts per year in the hobby in my mobile. While I'm at it, I guess I'll get enough to celebrate the 30th too. -drdx
Almost up to March 2013 ... How many watts are in the Jeep? :D
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Wow, this is an old topic. Since that post above, I acquired my current setup, about a month after that, the old 2x16 all 2879 setup. I'm a few hundred watts shy of the 3kw goal as it sits. But then again it is low pass filtered and on a ham grade wattmeter, so I guess if I went the happy wattage cb'er route I could remove the filtering and put it on a DOSY and be there, but I'm a realistic thinker. Heck, throwing in a 6v battery and volting would surely make the meter dance but since it is going on 5 whole years of reliable performance then I better leave well enough alone.

Sadly enough though, the old jeep is about to go to a new home. My next project, a jeep wrangler, is in my garage under the knife as I type getting the needed repairs and modifications needed to make it cool, with a nice mobile install included in that mix. Historically the wrangler is just about the worst candidate for a nice efficient omnidirectional antenna but I'm hoping to change that by summer with ideas in the works.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Good to see you post Drdx. Haven't heard you on the radio in quite a while.