Computer Name

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
Whiskey Man
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Computer Name

Post by Whiskey Man »

I have a laptop that I bought from Walmart that was a display. They took their password out and I brought it home and gave it a name. While right clicking on computer and clicking properties show the computers name as being the one I gave it, everything like files show Walmarts computer. Even my I phone shows connected to Walmart. Anybody know how to get them out?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Computer Name

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I would take it back to a different Walmart, and make them give you a new one.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I do agree with JJD, take it back especially if it was a floor/display model since you said they had to remove their password. The problem with them is you don't have a clue who has fiddled with it and a program could be present that will send all your info to them (a hacker). If your locked out of the administrator definitely take it back.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

MDYoungblood wrote:I do agree with JJD, take it back especially if it was a floor/display model since you said they had to remove their password. The problem with them is you don't have a clue who has fiddled with it and a program could be present that will send all your info to them (a hacker). If your locked out of the administrator definitely take it back.

3's

Greg
Yep. A hacker can sneak a program file anywhere in there and before you know it they will have everything they need to hack your bank accounts and pass off as you on a buying spree... :shock:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
captjk
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Sirio Gain Master
Radio: Yaesu FT 900

Post by captjk »

Whiskey Man wrote:I have a laptop that I bought from Walmart that was a display. They took their password out and I brought it home and gave it a name. While right clicking on computer and clicking properties show the computers name as being the one I gave it, everything like files show Walmarts computer. Even my I phone shows connected to Walmart. Anybody know how to get them out?

What operating system is your Walmart computer
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Can you do a system restore? You should be able to restore it back to the factory configuration but I can't remember if you can change the computers name that way. I'd at least do the restore if I planned on keeping it.