Windows 10

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: Windows 10

Post by 295 antenna »

stay with what you got. I downloaded windows 10 and it has alot of issues ,like you cant stop it from updating and updates are prone to changing settings on your pc . i had vista on my pc so i pretty much had to change and i really dont like it .
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I guess the best thing to do with Windows 10 is the back up and save everything on an external harddrive then totally wipe the operating system and reinstall it again. I did this after discovering 2 viruses and the computer is running so much faster again.

3's

Greg

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Guess I'm the odd one out...I have 10, and never had any issues...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

cant play older games on 10. main reason i went back to 7 pro
Bobcat
Donor
Donor
Handle: Bobcat
Call Sign: AI5RR
Radio: SBE Console V ; Sears Roadtalker 40 SSB

Post by Bobcat »

First let me say this, I am not a Windows fan in the first place. As a software developer by profession, I prefer to use a variant of the Linux operating system. That said, a few years back I got a new laptop for Christmas, that came with WIndows 8 on it....and normally I strip the OS off and build up from the bottom with Linux. On this laptop, I was unable to remove Windows as, it voided the warranty!!!! (Service centers/techs HAVE to use an OS familiar to them to troubleshoot, so they insist that Windows stay on.)
SO I went dual boot and continued using Linux. When the Win10 Free upgrade came out, my oldest son kindly came and lectured me on where Microsoft is trying to go with their OS and it made sense, so I started using it for a few things.

The numbrer one biggest problem I have with it....is ACTUALLY caused by HOW I use it.......which is..... INFREQUENTLY!

The problem is that, I spend most of my time in Linux.... maybe several months without going into Windows at all. Because of that, when I DO boot to Win10... it has a LOT OF administrative and update-wise catching up to do!!! It always takes forever to check everything in the universe before it quits getting in the way, it used to INSIST on putting updates in RIGHT NOW (which I did get turned off.... now I approve when it does updates!). I have learned though .... that if I boot into it and just let it sit overnight.... or a day or so..... it becomes MUCH easier to get along with. Because once it is done with it's startup processing....it is pretty easy to deal with.... and quicker at what it does.

I actually kind of like the "tiles" based facility for installing/using installed software.... it requires a little knowledge to set up.... I agree... but once you get it set up.... a grandparent can use it to start anything they want. Just click on a picture...and boom you are in to the app. I tend to have a harder time than most as I am more technical then some people...and want to control everything. If you use it like a regular human being type user.... it behaves great.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
JetSetter
Handle: JetSetter/822
Antenna: 11m Dipole, PAT-12, Browning BR-28
Radio: RCI-2995DXCF

Post by JetSetter »

Pretty much agree with everything Bobcat said. Although i don't use Linux as much as i used to. I do still have Kali on my laptop. I had also started with win 7 pro, which was great. Then switched to win 8 & 8.1, which i did not like at all. All i use now is win 10. And yes, it's easy enough for just about anybody. One thing people seem to have left out is "Cortana" that allows you to speak to your pc rather than the old fashion way of typing. You can read up on it here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cortana

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

It seems that I have so much junk running on my PC it gets bogged down so I wipe the harddrive and start over with a fresh win 10 pro install, computer runs great afterward for at least several months, then do it all over again. Just glad my other computers are Mac's, haven't had to wipe one clean yet unless it goes up on the auction block.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department