Internet Explorer 8

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
linx

Internet Explorer 8

Post by linx »

Anyone tried IE8 yet? I use FireFox mostly, but am just curious if anyone has tried it yet.
TheTeZ

Re: Internet Explorer 8

Post by TheTeZ »

yup, i run the win7 beta, and it comes with it....

Its ok, they pretty much made firefox out of IE, Its not bad, but i still prefer firefox.

it is a little annoying the first time you start it up, if you dont "personalize it" it keeps nagging every time you open it.
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Post by »

I use Firefox also... I use to be all about IE, but then I broke down and tried Firefox. I don't have issues like I use to. Firefox is just more secure, and has more updates.

Donate here

Mikey B
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 WX NW ST

Post by Mikey B »

I use IE 8. I don't have any problems at all. I think it works well.
"We have room for but one flag, the American Flag. We have room for but one language, the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. " - - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt.
KB1TBF
"B-DOG"
sugarcane

Post by sugarcane »

Mikey B wrote:I use IE 8. I don't have any problems at all. I think it works well.
ditto :basketball:
Donor
Donor
Handle: Step~Child
Antenna: imax 2000
Radio: Almost too many

Post by 385 »

I've downloaded IE8 twice and have had to do backup and restore to get anything. I'll download it and when its done I'll click the big e button and it always says cannot connect and something about data execution prevention. Not too smart when it comes to these new fangled computers :icon_e_geek:
385, Tracy
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

linx wrote:Anyone tried IE8 yet? I use FireFox mostly, but am just curious if anyone has tried it yet.
I have used Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) since it was in development in it's early Beta stages then into the final RC Release Candidate pre-release stage. I've continued to keep it since it's full-version inception. It's not a bad browser at all, despite what many Opera, Safari or Firefox fans say. One major reason for continuing to use it is virtual universal program compatibility. Because it's "the major label" in web browsers, so many software manufacturers provide goodies for it. It holds the lions share of the marketplace----although I know sometimes what is "most popular" doesn't always mean "best".

600px-Web_browser_usage_share_svg.png
Wikipedia Web Browsers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ... _share.svg

I have my likes and dislikes with Firefox, and I've used it quite a bit. IE8 has many good features for comfort and security such as the Smart Screen Safety Filter to quickly check to see whether a website has had reports of malicious behavior or bad downloads etc. IE8's InPrivate Viewing mode can be decent if you don't want tracking cookies left on your computer by various websites to track your browsing habits and/or want to surf the web anonymously.

IE8's "Compatiblity View" can be a useful function. It is a clickable button up at the top of the browser. Because some websites are still not up-to-date for use with IE8's many new features (compared to IE7), the "Compatibility View" button is pressed and the browser quickly shifts back to IE7 in an instant. So there is a built-in IE7 ready to be used with older websites that might not display properly with IE8.

I've found on the CBRT Forum, that the IE7 Compatibility View button must be pressed for the Forum to work properly. Most of the CBRT Forum displays properly in IE8-----except when you are writing a post. As you are writing your entry in the reply field and reach the bottom of the reply window with your text, the cursor will begin to (and continue to) jump back up to the very beginning of your post. If you type as I am doing now, the cursor would continue to jump to the very first words of my post here, up at the top. If your post is lengthy, basically the cursor will keep going back up to the top and you cannot see what you are typing at the current sentence at the bottom. This first occurred at the Forum switchover to the new style and I think there is a compatibility issue. If IE8 is run in the IE7 Compatibility view, the site runs fine and there is no problem.

All-in-all, I'd recommend the use of IE8 at least equally (if not over) Firefox, although I don't mind Firefox. I keep thinking about going over to Opera for a time, just to play with that one as I haven't tried it out on my own PC yet. I may wait to upgrade my PC first, it's 5 years old. I've been holding out, I skipped over/waited out Windows Vista and am glad. Been running Windows XP and it's been a good system for the duration. But since Vista and XP are a being replaced, I'm going to get a new PC soon for Microsofts new operating system. . .

Windows 7
Windows 7 Homepage http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/
Windows 7 Wikipedia Article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

I'm not sure how well the many websites out there will be suitable for use with it, I'm guessing many. Would you think the CBRT Forum will be ready for use with any major changes in Windows operating systems? The one IE7/IE8 compatibility issue might need attention for use with CBRT Forum, although I know the site recommends using Firefox. Not sure exactly how the new Windows 7 will affect us here or perhaps not at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

I downloaded the new Firefox 3.5 this past week. If you have 3.0 it will just keep updating it and as of my last update it was at 3.0.12 i believe. Finally decided I would visit Mozilla's page and 3.5 was the newest one.
It is just as awesome plus some as all the other FF's have been.
Until very recently I never had added any different themes or add-ons to the browser. Just left it stock. After browsing for just a few seconds, i realized the full potential that I had been missing out on.

If you have Firefox or even if you don't, 1. go to Mozilla's home page and download the new 3.5 version and 2. click on the Tools menu at the top then click Add-Ons then click Get Add-Ons and finally click browse all add-ons which is on the right side of the screen and you can view the thousands of goodies available to make your internet browsing experience that much more easy and enjoyable.

Chrome is also a very nice browser for being so new. I would even use it before IE.
jacob0214
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by jacob0214 »

i used internet explorer 8 and i had problems opening pdf files and since im in high school its very important for me to be able to open pdf's and then i had problems going to back internet explorer 7 but other than that its great when they fix the few problems i will go back and use it.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

jacob0214 wrote:i used internet explorer 8 and i had problems opening pdf files and since im in high school its very important for me to be able to open pdf's and then i had problems going to back internet explorer 7 but other than that its great when they fix the few problems i will go back and use it.

Are you SURE that you are using the latest version of Adobe Reader? Have you checked it for updates from Adobe lately? I'd recommend a nice add-on program called PDF Download by Nitro PDF Software which accelerates viewing PDF files and allowing you to simply view them in your Explorer browser rather than having to download them to view them. Works well for Firefox too.

Nitro PDF
http://www.pdfdownload.org/add_on.html
Century21

Post by Century21 »

My wifes pc also had problems playing adobe flash, and opening adobe programs. Each time she would click to install the update so she could view it, it would have a problem during install.
So I got tired of hearing her not being able to get on her farmville app in facebook, so this weekend I manually deleted all the files off pc for adobe and deleted the directory. Then opened up that pesky little windows registry and deleted all the entries for it there.
Installed it, went fine, and ban, she was farming well into the night saturday night. And gave me a few minutes to slip outside and have a cold one and play my guitar un-interreupted..... I love it when a plan comes through,
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I've been using IE8 since it came out, and with Windows Vista, never had any problems at all....
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
madsage
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum S45, Cobra2K

Post by madsage »

haha farmville app, my wife is into that too.

i'm running win7 x64 RTM at the moment, works great. Havnt found anything i cant run yet. I'm sure there is something.
many things i could not run in vista x64, its come a long way in that department. I use the x64 version to address more than 4gig of ram.
the 64bit memory paging alone is well worth jumping on x64 windows now, and i've NEVER been a fan of IE until IE8. Never been a fan of windows to be honest. Win7 and IE8 is very nice in my opinion.

thansk for the info on the compatability browser, i've not used it yet. I notice some jumping around when i post a message here when i get long winded and exceed the message box size. I'll have to try the compatability button next time.

933 Arizona
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor
Radio: Any radio I want.

Post by Pro-Tech »

Wow, I'm the minority in the chart. I use Opera 99% of the time. And IE if a site can only be used by IE. On my iPhone Safari is my only choice and it has the same quality as Opera for people like me who know nothing about this subject. I guess that's why my tech told me to stick with Opera. Opera is for dummies. lol.
Bakerman1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Super Star 3900

Post by Bakerman1 »

linx wrote:Anyone tried IE8 yet? I use FireFox mostly, but am just curious if anyone has tried it yet.
linx I had no problem with IE 8 and have put it on many computers.....If people are having problems its the user....lol.
Super Star 3900 Export,President Zachary T.,Cobra 148 GTL,Elkin Super 4, Boomer Deluxe 250,Maco 5/8