Best COMPLETELY FREE software for any purposes!

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
djrebel236

Best COMPLETELY FREE software for any purposes!

Post by djrebel236 »

=============

DISK/REGISTRY UTILITIES

CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner) - www.ccleaner.com
This is a fantastic utility for keeping your registry and disks tidy. It consists mainly of two utilities, the disk cleaner and the registry cleaner. The registry cleaner is highly customizable, and I recommend that you do in fact customize it. If you turn everything on, it will reset all your custom window sizes and positions, delete all your saved forms information, it basically resets you to factory-like conditions. I turn the advanced section on, but I uncheck the box where it resets my custom window positions. You need to run the registry scan at least 3 times; because as it corrects the ActiveX section of the registry, the new combination of entries gets re-interpreted for new errors. (This is true of all registry scanners.)

The disk cleaning section deletes a host of junk files, ranging from temp files, your browser cache for IE and Firefox to zero-byte files, hotfix update install packages that get leftover by Windows Update, chkdsk fragments, your recycle bin, and a host of others. If you turn on all features, it will delete ALL cookies and saved forms data. Once you run the scan, you can go to the options section and “white list” cookies you want to keep, and the system will ignore those in the sweep.

Defraggler - www.defraggler.com
This is a great disk defragmenting utility. It differs from others in that it lets you only defragment files that are fragmented, and lets you choose them at the file level, and it also does a full re-order defrag where it moves all data on the disk to an optimized position. I find that the best approach with this program is to Go into System Restore and turn it off, run defraggler once, and just defrag the fragmented files. Then, I run it again, and do a full re-order defragmentation. Then, go turn System Restore back on if you use it, but minimize the amount of space you let it use to 1-2% of the drive, not the 12% it takes by default.

SyncToy2.0 - http://www.microsoft.com/down ... layLang=en
Microsoft has a WONDERFUL sync/backup utility, part of their nifty “PowerToys” suite. Use this to make a copy of your important data folders to an external hard drive, or another drive on your network. This is absolutely indispensable file protection with a terrific, simple interface.

Recuva – www.recuva.com
File recovery utility from the CCleaner/Defraggler folks…

FIREWALL/NET PROTECTION
Zone Alarm – www.zonealarm.com
You already have a pretty decent firewall on your system, Windows Firewall, which does stateful packet inspection. But, if you want to go further and add port spoofing and tighter protection rules, Zone Alarm is great. Some say it’s too intrusive and inconvenient (you have to train it), it does protect you very well. Combine these with a hardware router/firewall solution for best protection.

K9 Web Protection - http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
This is internet content filtering and access control software to keep kids from getting to places on the Web their little eyes should not be visiting. Runs as a service.

SPYWARE/MALWARE

Spybot S&D (Search & Destroy) - www.spybot.com
This is a terrific anti-spyware utility that not only finds and deletes the majority of spyware threats, but it inoculates your system to disallow known “bad” sites. (Nerds, it does this by adding a slew of entries to your HOSTS file)

AdAware – www.lavasoft.com
Another great spyware utility that does a very deep registry scan. It finds things Spybot doesn’t; and Spybot finds things this doesn’t, so run them both.

Windows Defender – www.microsoft.com
To the surprise of many, this is also a world-class spyware utility. Microsoft got this one right; it finds a great deal of malware, and has a very small memory and resource footprint. If you have Vista, you’re already running this. If you have XP, go download it.

ANTI-VIRUS

AVG Free – http://free.avg.com
AVG makes an entire suite of malware utilities, but they give away their outstanding A/V product. (There’s a pay version too; but it differs from the freeware only in that you receive technical support.) This antivirus program is superior in every way to Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee, Panda, CA, and most other A/V programs. (I think NOD-32 and BitDefender are a bit better, but they aren’t free) It’s fast, lightweight, easy to understand, and highly customizable. It self-updates, and protects against viruses, rootkits, and other malware. Did I mention it is totally free?

Avast – www.avast.com
Another totally free for non-commercial use A/V product. It’s pretty good too, I just like AVG’s interface better.

UNLIKE SPYWARE UTILITIES, YOU CANNOT RUN MORE THAN ONE A/V PRODUCT SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!

BitDefender Online Scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
If your system is already infected, you can use BitDefender’s terrific online scanning utility. This must be run from IE; it is ActiveX based, and therefore does not work in Firefox.

MULTIMEDIA

Picasa – http://picasa.google.com
Picasa is an unbelievably full-featured image processing utility. It does batch processing, batch export, and has a delightful, friendly interface. The brand new version 3 does retouching and edits video!!! INSTALL AS A STANDALONE, NOT USING THE GOOGLE UPDATER TOOL!!!

Audacity – http://audacity.sourceforge.net
Freeware audio editor and recorder from the open source community. Very full featured and easy to use. Very good interface.

Reaper - http://www.****os.com/reaper/download.php
Complete multitrack recording and editing software. While technically not freeware; their fully functional demo does not have any limitations on the “demo period”. It’s basically the honor system.

OFFICE/PRODUCTIVITY
OpenOffice – www.openoffice.org
Free, open-source, multi-platform word processing, spreadsheet, presentation graphics, database, complete compatibility with other Office suites.
Candyman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Candyman
Radio: Stryker 955

Post by Candyman »

If you switch your operating system to Mandriva 2008.1 (free) you won't need any of these programs.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

Very good list dj. Everybody needs to have at least some of these programs.
19dt2120
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: 19DT2120
Antenna: 11m Inv V & G5RV
Radio: FT897,IC-756proIII

Post by 19dt2120 »

I'm also missing Firefox , Foxit-reader from Mozilla,and Open-Office.
The free game World Of Padman With Quake3 engine.

Etc etc.
NCMidnight

Post by NCMidnight »

For those who play guitar a great little piece of practice amp software... Peavey MK3 ReValver.. http://www.peavey.com/product ... loads.html

Need a little extra boost on your GPU to get a few more FPS out of that old video card maybe a 50mhz overclock will help. This software will also monitor CPU, GPU core temps.. Rivatuner... http://downloads.guru3d.com/d ... hp?det=163 Great program I use myself.. Helped get a 3000+ 3dmark score out of an Old PNY 6200 Gforce 256 AGP Card Core 325/Memory 532mhz Overlocked to 425/600Mhz(Not the Turbo Cashe Type)NV44A Bios Benched at 37 degrees C(6fan system)...

Test your overclock with 3DMark for artifacting and adjust for best results..(back off 3-5 mhz at a time, on both Core and Memory clocking speeds until the artifacts are gone) http://www.futuremark.com/download/
wolfmanjack
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Re: Best COMPLETELY FREE software for any purposes!

Post by wolfmanjack »

A great list indeed, djrebel. AVG is great, I use to use it now I use ESET NOD32 AV. And ZoneAlarm firewall which you can get for free. Ccleaner is amazing, too.

I see someone posted a link for guitar related material as well, hope you don't mind if I do the same. This is good software too, Guitar Pro 5 with RSE. It plays tabs for you, and sounds great. Really helps out the beginner who's looking for an easy way to play the guitar.
madsage
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum S45, Cobra2K

Post by madsage »

I don know about the AVG, I've cleaned many a virus and malware from windows machines with AVG on them and enabled.
Especialy those malware 'Gaurd 360' etc, that will popup and tell the user they need to buy thier spyware remover to remove the popup. lol

I've cleaned this one up like 100 times for differnt people. And it goes right by AVG, while technicaly this is spyware/malware and not a virus.
It will embed itself into teh system in about 10 places like virii, and does contain keylogger and password capture and delivery agents.

One thing that will clean this specific mess up is 'Super AntiSpyware' http://www.superantispyware.com/
Infact this thing will catch most everything, even virus attempting to propagate. The same company also makes an AV too.

Though i havnt tried thier AV, I always run 'Super Antispyware' and ESET Nod32 together. Seems to work real well.
Unfortuntaly they are both commercial, so they may fall out of the topic of free softwarez, however both have 30day trials.
And super antispywware has a free version but is too limited to suggest, as it will want you to upgrade to teh comercial version for anything that requires fixing.

the 933 RiffRaff
in the stickerz
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

if you are using AVG
better get ready they going to shut down the update

if you using microsoft
just get Windows Live One care
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
SemiBoysMom
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: SemiBoysMom
Radio: Cobra 29LTD Classic

Post by SemiBoysMom »

North Texas Mudduck wrote:if you are using AVG
better get ready they going to shut down the update
Could you source this, possibly? I have looked all over the place, as well as at the AVG site, and am seeing nothing of the sort mentioned. If you would source it, I'd appreciate it, as we use AVG on all our computers. Many TIA! =o)
Liars, hecklers, and whiners are all cut from the same cloth...and whaddya know, it has two faces.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

If you were using the older version of AVG it required you to update to the new free version... 8.something... I don't remember the number but if you have AVG now and you don't get a pop-up telling you to upgrade and you can still get updates, you are fine. 8)
SemiBoysMom
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by SemiBoysMom »

Ooooh, okay. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that AVG was no longer allowing updates for any version. Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. Nope...no pop-ups. I always upgrade my AVG usually about two weeks after a new release. =o)
Liars, hecklers, and whiners are all cut from the same cloth...and whaddya know, it has two faces.
SemiBoysMom
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by SemiBoysMom »

Guess I didn't actually misunderstand you, Rex! :P At any rate, thank you for the clarification.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

No problem. Glad to help.
Bakerman1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Super Star 3900

Post by Bakerman1 »

The update for AVG is at http://www.download.com You will find many good programs there. I fix computers at my home and most all the free software I get is at that site.
Super Star 3900 Export,President Zachary T.,Cobra 148 GTL,Elkin Super 4, Boomer Deluxe 250,Maco 5/8
blckshprls
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Galaxy 979

Post by blckshprls »

There is also this site I usewhen needing something. Most of their stuff is ok. Alot of the same stuff you have listed, plus its categorized.
http://www.winaddons.com/top- ... -software/
Magnum S45HP
Galaxy 979
Cobra 29 LTD Classic
Antron 99
Predator 10K
polecat28328
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: General lee

Post by polecat28328 »

you can also try malwarebytes.org for malware / spyware the company i work for does pc repair and the list you have is pretty much what we use . Also there is a free online scan on antivirus.com. if anyone needs any tech advice jst pm me im pretty good hands on or just walking you through it, Im using UBUNTU 10.04 which is a free linux OS if you haven't heard of it check out the Ubuntu website for the most part it's easy handson or there are plenty of forums to help you get things together
blckshprls
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Galaxy 979

Post by blckshprls »

I've tried Ubuntu its cool and easy to use. Only problem is drivers for other things i.e. video cards,printers especially wireless network printers, companies are really not big on giving linux OS as much support. Sad really, linux is a good system. I've tried several versions, even got old, I mean old computers to work with versions of linux. The free part is awesome for someone who can't afford windows or even worse "crapple", which is actually derived from linux. I've built several machines and windows gets pricey if you don't buy mass quantities of it. I've read that the newer atom processors really zing w/ linux. May be my next build project, a car computer. :icon_e_geek:
Magnum S45HP
Galaxy 979
Cobra 29 LTD Classic
Antron 99
Predator 10K
throttlerod
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: RCI-2980

Post by throttlerod »

blckshprls wrote:I've tried Ubuntu its cool and easy to use. Only problem is drivers for other things i.e. video cards,printers especially wireless network printers, companies are really not big on giving linux OS as much support. Sad really, linux is a good system. I've tried several versions, even got old, I mean old computers to work with versions of linux. The free part is awesome for someone who can't afford windows or even worse "crapple", which is actually derived from linux. I've built several machines and windows gets pricey if you don't buy mass quantities of it. I've read that the newer atom processors really zing w/ linux. May be my next build project, a car computer. :icon_e_geek:
Actually, the drivers are all out there. you just have to really dig sometimes to get what you need. i built a gaming style machine with a sweet BFG card and was able to get the nvidia drivers for it. However, it took some digging. printers and stuff, meh they are there anymore.

Ubuntu 10.10 is out now, still unsure if i want to put into production or not. 10.04 is solid finally though. :-D
The Lord has blessed you this day, use it as an opportunity to glorify Him.

RCI-2980
D-104 tug9
A99 w/ GP
RCI-6900F 150HP
Cobra 29 LTD C ~Mod'd~
Wilson Silver Load 4'
Wile E. Coyote
Donor
Donor
Handle: unit 505 Wile E. Coyote
Antenna: 55' high omni directional fiberglass
Radio: Several, depending who I am talking to

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Another place to get free software for any computer is cnet.com all of this software is tried and tested. you pick and choose the application that you want or need.

throttlerod
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: RCI-2980

Post by throttlerod »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:Another place to get free software for any computer is cnet.com all of this software is tried and tested. you pick and choose the application that you want or need.
cnet.com is the same place as download.com. :-)

However I agree, a great place to get software.
The Lord has blessed you this day, use it as an opportunity to glorify Him.

RCI-2980
D-104 tug9
A99 w/ GP
RCI-6900F 150HP
Cobra 29 LTD C ~Mod'd~
Wilson Silver Load 4'
ghz24
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by ghz24 »

4NEC2 for antenna modeling by Arie Voors.( my recent addiction ). It uses the source code developed by Lawrence Livermore Labs .

I liked AVG it never failed me but, one of the upgrades got flagged by my start-up monitor for trying to change my ethernet adapters driver. So I clicked don't allow and switched to avast .
Startup monitor (for XP and before) pops up a dialog box every time a sneaky program tries to add itself to your start up and lets you decide to allow or not. This has helped keep my ancient IBM laptop from bloating to total uselessness.
Clip-o-matic clip board that allows you to paste from the history of things you have copied into your clipboard (last 10 by default) also allows permanent additions (for e-mail addresses and other often used phrases) real time saver.
Both available at Mike Lins website (I can't post a link yet) :icon_e_sad: but I'm sure google can find it.

also:
Kristal audio engine real time audio processing
Cb_Grandpa
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: I-MAX 2000
Radio: Cobra 2000GTL

Post by Cb_Grandpa »

When I had a MBA I used this free app a lot.

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

With windows:

Great little e-mail cleaner:

http://www.rickyspears.com/cleanmail/

This site is where I got all my freeware:

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/

I use Linux now so I don't need any of those. Love Linux. Well, maybe the e-mail cleaner. :icon_e_geek: :lol:
If I am ever on life support, unplug me...
Then plug me back in.
See if that works...

The phrase DO NOT BE AFRAID is written in the bible 365 times.
That's a daily reminder from God to live every day being fearless.
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

looking for free cloning software
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

jon6667 wrote: May 24th, 2017, 11:47 am looking for free cloning software
To clone what?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

to clone my main h.d to a ssd