:Want to go wireless, what do I NEED???

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
sideways
Donor
Donor

:Want to go wireless, what do I NEED???

Post by sideways »

I'm not real puter literate butt not afraid to tackle things. What I have is a Dell Desk Top at home with Yahoo DSL. Has plenty of RAM and disc space etc.. Just bought the wife a used IBM Thinkpad and want to go wireless (network with existing computer/printer/ be able to share files between the two etc) Yahoo sells a Gateway Modem/router all in one for $79. BestBuy sells a router for about the same (the guy says if you don't set up security right anyone can use the connection,get into your computer etc. etc..) But they use the Geek Squad to set it up for you etc for $189. SOOOO I guess boiled down the question is can a semi puter stupid person set one of these up or would I be better off having it done???
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

Hi Sideways, I understand what your saying. I too bought a wireless router from Staples. It was fairly easy to set it up. The router came with a cd and the instructions were fairly simple. I was able to have it working and with the instructions was also able to set up the security for it. The router cost 30 dollars and works great and the instructions were so easy to understand. We have been enjoying it and the kids like it for there wireless games. Go for it and you should have no problems at all.

Gravedigger (World_Radio_401)
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

Hey, i have set up multiple wireless networks for a bunch of friends. they are very easy... since you havent done it try to get one new, get a wireless router. thats the 1st thing. that will let the laptop use wireless.

When you set up the wireless router for the first time (it will probably come with a CD) it will bring you through all of the security questions like "do you want any?" and ask you to put in passwords and network names and junk. anyone can do it. go with a netgear they are very easily and have dumbed down instructions if you get a new in box router.

the laptop should see the wireless router right away. you will need to click on the network you named, and put in your "wep key" or "passphrase" ..your password and their ya go shes on.

if you want your desktop wireless you will need to get a wireless adapter. They make some nice easy to use cheap "usb wireless network adaptor" look for one that has G network not just B

not everything i said was as detailed as it should be. im sure others will clarify. but if you buy the router youll figure it out no problem (also by the way i have 3 external usb wireless network adaptors i do not use, when you get to that point shoot me a pm and ill give you one REAL cheap)
snookgetter
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Gen Lee

Post by snookgetter »

Before you buy a router, be sure to check out its reviews. One of the cheapest places I've found is egghead dot com. They have really really good prices and lots of stuff has free shipping (that's where I bought my monitor from) and they have reviews on all the routers. I'm kinda partial to Linksys, I think their the most secure and have the fewest cases of signal drop. Make up your mind for yourself, be sure to read some reviews.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

linksys or netgear are my recomendations
NCMidnight

Post by NCMidnight »

Linksys is good. As far as others using your IP it is doable and does happen but you can take steps to avoid it. Use the security settings on the router, Password your network. Your firewall will notify you if someone attempts an intrusion on your PC... Someone would have to be pretty close to pick up the signal from your router anyway.

I did see this happen just a few months ago to a friend.. He kept getting letters from his ISP forwarded from the ESA accusing him of copying and distributing copyrighted material via Bittorrent/P2P software.. This continued for about 2 months up to the point this ISP was going to cancel his service..Come to find out it was his neighbors 15 year old kid leaching his bandwidth to pirate<--(cant say Pir@te?) software which they were tracing back to my friends IP address.. A short chat with his parents fixed the problem permanently.. :shock:
Hip2u77
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Hip2u

Post by Hip2u77 »

Just a heads up. IMO, Newegg is the best place to buy any computer equipment. Just read the reviews and you'll see everyone loves them.

If you're not in a huge hurry then watch the "Hot Deals" forum section on Fatwallet and you'll see deals pop up regularly on there. I haven't watched them for a year or so, but I've bought Belkin, Netgear and Linksys routers all from deals posted. And the like here, the forum posters will usually clear up which deals / models are good, and which aren't.
tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Hatchetman
Call Sign: KE5RTC
Antenna: Omni sirio 2016
Radio: mine lol

Post by tonyhatchetman »

is use the belkin stuff works great and ant real costly
hatchet told you that !!!!! 273 round the big d wavin !!!!!!!!
sideways
Donor
Donor

:

Post by sideways »

Thanks for the replys guys. Now that the internet is back up (ran into a prob during router install, and the voice from India or somewhere ((plus several hrs on the phone)) had me all screwed up. Couldn,t even get on line with the desk top for a while, played around awhile on my own and got the desk top back up. And the lap top somewhat set up , still not quite right will ask some more Q's later. Thanks again.
wood eye
Donor
Donor

Post by wood eye »

I have used all of the routers named above. All work well and are easy to set up. I use D-Link now both router and pcmcia card in my laptop. It runs the new 802.11 N but will work on B or G.
Runs much faster than the other ones I have tried.
wood eye
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
DH1234

Post by DH1234 »

One thing nobody has mentioned yet was that you wanted to share folders and printer. Go online and search for "how to create a share drive" and this should help you out. Most people set up their share drive on their desktop so the laptop can access it. You can share the desktop's entire hard drive, or you can buy a separate hard drive and make only one shared. Again, you can search online and look for how to create a share drive and the same goes for adding the printer to the network. The main thing is make sure when you installed your router that you put a good password on it so no one can access your network.
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

I have set up a number of offices and homes for networks and using wired and wireless. They are really not an issue.

My recommendation would be Linksys. Probably the best hardware in the business and has great customer service. If you have any problems they can walk you through the setup.

I have 24 wires running in my house and office and I have 4 laptops and one wireless printer on the wireless side. I have run an encrypted wireless network for around 6 years.

You shouldnt have any issues but you can allways ask me if you need help.

John / Phaze91460
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

seen a lot of wireless routers that each company will put the same factory set password
so if you do set up make sure you go in an reset the password
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone