PC help

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
Handy_man
Donor
Donor
Radio: 98vhp

PC help

Post by Handy_man »

well guys iam kinda good in the PC field so it you have a question
just ask ill do my best to help ...
Variable
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Variable »

Always good to have a pc tech around, thanks!
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Re: PC help

Post by »

Handy_man wrote:well guys iam kinda good in the PC field so it you have a question
just ask ill do my best to help ...

thanks...

Donate here

Turbo
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Radio: Galaxy

I need pc Help

Post by Turbo »

Can anyone help me?
I bought a dell laptop and when i got it off ebay it had windows 2000 pro. well i wanted windows xp home on it and i had the software i bought 3 years ago to put on my home computer, I paid over 200.00 dollars for it then. well after putting the software on it(xp home) it wanted me to activate it , but when i tried, it says it has done been registerd to many times and that i would have to buy another serial key for 99.oo dollars. I guess what im trying to get at is there anyway i can get around this without having to spend the money.I called microsoft and they tell me there is nothing i can do about it but spend the money. I am not happy cause i done spent money on the software and they tell me i can only use it on one computer. So can anyone tell me what needs to be done that is cheaper than $ 99.00

Thanks TURBO
the bandit43
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by the bandit43 »

if it's been registered to many times that's not good.. or call microsoft
and tell them your problem
bandit:Snowman, you got your ears on?

Snowman:You lucky devil, you got him! Where the heck are you?
NCMidnight

Re: I need pc Help

Post by NCMidnight »

Turbo wrote:Can anyone help me?
I bought a dell laptop and when i got it off ebay it had windows 2000 pro. well i wanted windows xp home on it and i had the software i bought 3 years ago to put on my home computer, I paid over 200.00 dollars for it then. well after putting the software on it(xp home) it wanted me to activate it , but when i tried, it says it has done been registerd to many times and that i would have to buy another serial key for 99.oo dollars. I guess what im trying to get at is there anyway i can get around this without having to spend the money.I called microsoft and they tell me there is nothing i can do about it but spend the money. I am not happy cause i done spent money on the software and they tell me i can only use it on one computer. So can anyone tell me what needs to be done that is cheaper than $ 99.00

Thanks TURBO
Either your copy of windows has been registered too many times in a short period of time, or it has been registered under a different PC name..If it is your software and its ONLY been registered in your name(PC NAME) your fine.. If its been registered under a different name you may have an issue.. Dont just call microsoft, Its $90 for a service call and they'll tell you they cant do anything..When you reach the activation or validation step in the procedure It will give you an 800 number to call Microsoft.. Call this number explain to the person on the other end that you reformat your PC at least every 3 months like Bill Gates suggests and that when you got to the validation process this time you got this message telling you to call and speak with him/her.. They'll ask you a bunch of questions like, Is it your copy? has it ever been installed on another PC? Is this an OEM copy?.. If you answer the way they'd like for you to you will get another validation code.. This has happened to me a number of times. Its an attempt to cut down on illegal copy and use of pirated software..
the bandit43
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by the bandit43 »

when i rergistered my computer with XP i didn't get charged

NCMidnight

Post by NCMidnight »

the bandit43 wrote:when i rergistered my computer with XP i didn't get charged
You should not have been charged.. What I'm saying is that if you call MS for a technical reason,(after the one free call) they will charge you $90.. If you use the specific number for your area that they give you when prompted to contact them about validation you will not be charged.. It doesnt cost anything to register software. I'm sorry if I didnt make myself clear..
Turbo
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Radio: Galaxy

Post by Turbo »

So what you are saying is tell them that i format my hard drive every 3 months and the computer im putting it on is the same computer , not a different one? I talk with microsoft yesturday and the guy ask me a lot of ? and i already told him that it was on a different computer aka my laptop not my home computer. I guess i screwed up trying to be honest. I guess i will have to break out my plastic and buy another serial key or liscence. You know this may sound like a grip, but when you pay so much money for software from microsoft you should be able to put it on any machine that you want. Example: if you buy a connex board you can take it out and put it in any radio you want and you only have to pay for the board once..

Thanks For all the info guys ,

Turbo
the bandit43
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by the bandit43 »

NC i don't remember if i called twice or not.. this was back in 04
i might haved called once

TheTeZ

Re: I need pc Help

Post by TheTeZ »

Turbo wrote:Can anyone help me?

Thanks TURBO

Call them up, and talk to a representative, they are going to ask you how many pc's you have it installed on... probably ask 3 times.... but dont let that intimidate you! say "1" Ive done this numerous times, because ive changed hardware or reinstalled o.s's and they tell me its been installed too much

If you do have it installed on others it 6 months after you install it, its going to verify itself in the background and lock you out of both. ... Microsoft is great

you can always try linux...? linux has free versions of a lot software, its a free o.s. and the lerning curve is extremely low on "linux mint" or "PCLinuxOS" also WINE can be installed to run windows programs.... look into it, i gave pclinux to my friend and after a little talking on the forums, he knows what hes doing. its free, and easy, and the two i named can be a lot like windows.