uniden 680 DK

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd

uniden 680 DK

Post by d-minus »

Does anyone know how to set the DK on a uniden 680. I just bought one and would like to turn dk down to 2w for a amp. Also where can i find a adapter for it to use a 4 pin mic, he did not have the pig tail that came with it new. Thanks Daniel.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: uniden 680 DK

Post by sonoma »

1st this radio does not have a VR to just turn the radio down. also it takes a special adapter for this radio to use a 4 pin mic. the ones pre made are normally not wired for the new uniden radios. so looks like you shot your self in the foot on both items.
you can detune the radio some by moving the ferret core in or out some that is back by the final. you will be able to drop the dead key that way. it takes a cap and resister to change the dead key on this radio off the driver so you will still have the full swing. I have done the 880 and 980 but have not been inside the 680. a buddy of mine has done the 680 and he says it is hard to do do.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Yep New the 680 comes from the factory with a 4 pin pig tail adapter. If you don't have one check the auction site,they have them listed all the time... as for dropping the DK , the 680 is not a power monster to start with... you should be fine running it like it is with a amp.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

CB World (a site sponsor) sells the adapter , http://www.wearecb.com/uniden ... apter.html , give Ken a call they might be back in stock. I've never had any luck at dropping the DK on these radio's, like sonoma said moving the ferret will get it to about 3 watts and it will give it a little more modulation swing.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

can you post a picture of the final and driver section of this radio since I have not seen one yet. maybe I can see if I can figure out what needs to be done to drop the watts out and still keep the swing of the radio.

I found a pic on cb magazines site and it does not show the final area real good. from what I saw it does not have a coil with a slug in it to adjust the out put like the others. the driver looks to be standing up just to the left of the final with the front of the radio facing you. if the 680 is set up like the 880 you can lift the center leg of the driver and put a cap and resister on it like you can a cobra 29 radio. a 220uf cap and a 50 to 100 ohm resister will lower the dead key and let the radio swing with more out put and depending on what resister you use will lower the dead key.could not tell from the pic I looked at what L cans would be in the rf circuit to peak the radio out. saw a couple of you tube videos that showed the radio keying 3 to 4 watts and swinging up to almost 30 watts.finding the right L cans would let you increase the total out put of the radio. I know a lot of guys are pulling the limiter on these radios to get more swing out of them also, not sure what limiter is in the 680, but the 880 D201 is what some are pulling to get more audio out of the radio.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The one I was playing with has been long gone, sorry. I usually don't keep AM only radios around long.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd

Post by d-minus »

Thanks guys for the information i will see what i can do with it. I would post a good pic of the inside of the radio but im not to savvy that way. Would have to get the wife to do it but she is real sick right now and work is picking up fast so i will not have much time to work on radios or get on the forum. When i do get it lined out i will post back. Again Thanks , Daniel you guys have been a big help.