Changing Channle

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Changing Channle

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Is it possible to take a cobra 29 classic and change the channel 9 switch to a 19 please let me know. Thanks
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Re: Changing Channle

Post by »

Hey EZ CHOPPER...

Last info I had was: Channel 9 switch to Channel 19: Cut D32.

Good Luck and May the Force Be With You.

Remember though...If you let any smoke out...it's very hard to put it back.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Bombero your saying if I cut D32 when I go to turn the switch to 9 it will automatically be on 19 then
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The channel display will still say 9 but it should be on 19. The main reason I've never tried this mod.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by »

Hey..

Yep...that's the info posted on the WWW.

But of course...like I said...Don't let any smoke out of your radio. It's hard to put it back.

And anytime you try to mod any radio...it's all ON you.

Bombero
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.

383 Boogieman

EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Got it no smoke no fire no trash can lol now all I need to know where's D32 located
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Yep, that is all it takes. Just clip one leg and lift it slightly just in case you want to change it back at a later date.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

how many legs are on it what's it look like and does it matter what leg I cut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by »

Hey...

Check with CBTricks...you're gonna need a schematic to find D32.

In fact..here's the schematic...now get the magnifying glass out and start searching. http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... ic_sch.pdf

Bombero

383 Boogieman

EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

looks like there's a fork its between D33 and D31 do I cut in the middle of that fork
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

D32 they are talking about is on the little board on the channel selector. it is not on the main board. look up a pic of a diode so you know what it is. it is like a resister. just 2 legs. one in and 1 out.
if you do not know what a diode is I would sure be reading more to know what a part is before clipping some thing.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I found D32 but its on the main board the channel board has numbers in the hundreds
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

sounds like you have one of the newer radios. I do not have one of them here to look at. will see if I can find a good schematic to see. almost bet it would be D302 but not sure. will look around.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

if I new how to post a pic on here I could show you what it looks like

-- Monday, 28 November 2016, 11:31 AM --
sonoma wrote:sounds like you have one of the newer radios. I do not have one of them here to look at. will see if I can find a good schematic to see. almost bet it would be D302 but not sure. will look around.
I believe it is a newer one please let me know if you find something out. Thanks
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I looked at some of the layouts and did not find one that I could tell what diode on the new boards makes the change. maybe one of the other guy's has converted a newer cobra 29 for the switch to do as you are wanting.. the older ones has a D32 on the main board also just below the channel selector board. the old ones have D32 on the channel selector boards . do not have one of the new radios to look at for you. sorry about that.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

sonoma wrote:I looked at some of the layouts and did not find one that I could tell what diode on the new boards makes the change. maybe one of the other guy's has converted a newer cobra 29 for the switch to do as you are wanting.. the older ones has a D32 on the main board also just below the channel selector board. the old ones have D32 on the channel selector boards . do not have one of the new radios to look at for you. sorry about that.
give me a way to send you a pic ill show you what I have I cant put no pic up here yet or I would do it for yea cell number email up to you let me know I already have the pic on my phone and my computer
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

It has been years but I'm pretty sure it is near the PLL, don't have one to open up and snap a pic of the location, the small board at the channel selector were numbered in the 300's.
You have enough post count to post pics, you'll need to use the "Upload Attachments" under the text box or just copy and paste the pic url.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

MDYoungblood wrote:It has been years but I'm pretty sure it is near the PLL, don't have one to open up and snap a pic of the location, the small board at the channel selector were numbered in the 300's.

3's

Greg
its right up the channel board there is a D32 there
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

can you just unsolder one leg and lift it up to see if that does the mod. that would be the way I would do it to see if it changes 9 to 19.. if not all you have to do is solder it back in place. I found a board layout for the 29 chrome and it has the 300 series numbers on it but could not find a old layout to trace the D32 that will change the old radios. you need the 2 to compare them. .here is the 29 chrome schematic that shows the channel selector and did not find a old version to compare it to.

http://downloads.cobra.com/CB ... Rschem.pdf
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

sonoma wrote:can you just unsolder one leg and lift it up to see if that does the mod. that would be the way I would do it to see if it changes 9 to 19.. if not all you have to do is solder it back in place. I found a board layout for the 29 chrome and it has the 300 series numbers on it but could not find a old layout to trace the D32 that will change the old radios. you need the 2 to compare them. .here is the 29 chrome schematic that shows the channel selector and did not find a old version to compare it to.

http://downloads.cobra.com/CB ... Rschem.pdf
its just a diode so there's one wire on one side one on the other and a piece in the middle I guess I can undo eight side
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

what do you mean by undo the eight side.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

sonoma wrote:what do you mean by undo the eight side.
either side sorry
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

just undo either side and see what it does. for some reason every schematic of older radios they have the 9 and 19 switch and that does not help me. for some reason they all have the slider switch and like I said it has 9 and 19 on the slider along with normal. just l;ift D32 on one leg and see what it does. then you will know. that is what I would do to see. if it does not make it 19 then just solder it back in place. normally the led will still show channel 9.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

sonoma wrote:just undo either side and see what it does. for some reason every schematic of older radios they have the 9 and 19 switch and that does not help me. for some reason they all have the slider switch and like I said it has 9 and 19 on the slider along with normal. just l;ift D32 on one leg and see what it does. then you will know. that is what I would do to see. if it does not make it 19 then just solder it back in place. normally the led will still show channel 9.
ill try it in the morning see what happens I'm putting a slate pool table together tonight going to be up late doing that lol

from what I hear when I do this it will still read 9 is there a way to make it say 19 maybe some kind of wire from the switch I don't know but if you have any idea how to do this part let me know Thanks so much for this info
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I have never messed with trying to get it to read 19. only have done a few for truck drivers years ago. my radios are all setup factory as far as this item. I just turn the channel if I want to go to 19. around here we talk on 21 to 28 on AM. 19 is for the road.