Cobra 29 LX BT Mods Worth Trying?

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
crock
Donor
Donor

Cobra 29 LX BT Mods Worth Trying?

Post by crock »

Looking to buy my first CB in 20 years and there are a lot of options! The Cobra 29 LX BT looks very good because the scan, weather, and bluetooth features are useful. All the mods offered are confusing, some say keep it stock, others have lots of things they want to change. I am looking at getting Astiatic bluetooth mic, larger finals, and some Schottky diodes. Are these considered hacks or worthwhile mods? And....who is "Dave" that people keep recommending?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Cobra 29 LX BT Mods Worth Trying?

Post by MDYoungblood »

Who's "Dave"? got me. I didn't know Astatic had a Bluetooth mic, looked it up, interesting, it's a custom made microphone from a **Non Sponsor** store. As far as mod's, the only thing I'd do to a 29 is bump up the modulation which would work well with the noise cancelling Bluetooth mic.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
crock
Donor
Donor

Re: Cobra 29 LX BT Mods Worth Trying?

Post by crock »

Thanks for the input. It looks like I am going with a Cobra 29 LX BT with the King microphone custom made for the bluetooth application. Talking to the shop owner, he said he boosts the radio's output with a "better" final, but not by much, to maintain full modulation. Apparently other circuits in the radio clip the final's output before the final reaches peak output, so he has to keep it under that. Each radio is little different in what it can produce. It sounded reasonable to me. I just couldn't resist. You should see what I modify to the rest of the car... the ultimate hack is simply fitting this radio in the dash of my Fiat 500!