Lil Brute Force

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
smoke blower
Donor
Donor
Handle: East coast broadcaster
Radio: Cobra 2000

Lil Brute Force

Post by smoke blower »

Has anybody seen one of these and know how to wire it up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Lil Brute Force

Post by MDYoungblood »

Brute Force was a decent amp, had a AB/C switch, never seen this one though, little one pill. Is it mounted on a heat sink or is that a flat plate. The power wires are unmistakable as well as the on/off switch wires so the only thing you need is which is radio and which is antenna connectors and that just follow the traces.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Yes it is just a flare plate and that bolts to the bottom of the radio case and there is a copper plate that sits over top of the board also. I can get some closer pictures if it will help . I have no idea what wires is what
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

That is what I thought, it similar to the RM Italy AD-203. If you would use http://www.postimage.org the picture would blow up bigger when clicked on. Looks like it has 1446 on it.

3's

Greg

smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Yes it has 1 1446 in it
Foliant
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: K40 SF300

Post by Foliant »

As of Capacitor, Feedback Resistor and Transistor placement the side with the marking "Lil Brute Force" is the input.
de 13PR87
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Yeah I would like to figure out how to wire it up would be great.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

here is the install info for the RM 203 stinger board from a tech 808 about 10 years ago. it worked for me back then see if you can figure it out on your amp. looks about the same. all of these pretty well hook up the same.you will need a heavy power cord to do this. a 16 gauge stock power cord will not work. you need a 12 gauge power cord.also do not hook the amp power wires to the board its self on the radio. hook them to the power plug just like it says to do.

#1 ~ Remove speaker-side case of radio and remove speaker from the case.
(save the 4 screws and nuts).

#2 ~ The Radio will need to be Modified so it will only key 2-1/2 to 3 watts.
Super mod down or down tune for best results.

#3 ~ Locate the Antenna Jack (Ant) on back of radio and remove Antenna wire from the SO-239 jack. Locate the "RTX" Coax and "ANT" Coax on the AD-203 Amplifier.

The "ANT" coax will go to the jack and the "RTX" coax will be soldered to the wire which was removed from the SO-239 jack.

NOTE!

BOTH of the Shields on the RTX Coax & ANT Coax from the AD-203 board MUST be GROUNDED!

The hardest part of the Installation is separating the center strand from ther Shield on the RTX & ANT COax from the AD-203'

HELPFUL TIP!

I very carefully cut the OUTER Clear Plastic on the RTX and ANT Coax from the AD-203 and used a fine dental Pick to pull the Center (also plastic coated) of the Coax OUT of the surounding Coax Shield.

The RED and BLACK power lead from the AD-203 Amplifier will be soldered to the radio power jack.

#4 ~ The RED and Black power lead from the AD-203 Amplifier will be soldered to the radio Power Jack. REPLACE the 3-amp fuse from radio with a 10amp fuse in the Power Cord.

#5 ~ The ON/OFF Switch can be mounted on the side or Top of Radio.

#6 ~ Mount the AD-203 Amplifier where the speaker was Removed.

#7 ~ On some radios ike the Cobra Sound Tracker radios a SHIELD will be needed on TOP of the MAIN Printed Circuit Board. This will keep RF out of the Audio Circuit.

NOTE!

A (RF SHIELD) Copper Board (2-1/2" x 3" is also furnished. Solder in on Top of the IF/RF Transformar.

#8 ~ Replace top case on the radio and replace the screws.

PLEASE NOTE!

The AD-203 Stinger Board will work on most SSB Radios but in some cases it may be neccessary to change the eletrolitic capacitor to allow for SSB delay.

DO NOT INSTALL IN ANY RADIO THAT WILL KEY MORE THAN (4) WATTS. per RM ITALY Installation Instruction's.

Hope this help's,
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Thanks Sonoma for that info. Now I need to figure out what wires are what on the amp it self
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

go to the auction site and type in ad203 will bring up the rm boards and you can see where the wires hook up on there boards. may give you and idea of what goes where on your board.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Sorry not sure what you mean by auction site
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

smoke blower wrote:Sorry not sure what you mean by auction site

ebay

-- March 20 2016 --

you can see in the pictures where the switch and power wires and input and output wires all go. yours should be close.

-- March 24 2016 --

smoke blower did you ever figure out the wiring for this little amp. if so it would be nice if you would post a picture of it for others to see or if you even got it hooked up.

-- March 24 2016 --

did you figure out the pin info

-- March 24 2016 --
sonoma wrote:
smoke blower wrote:Sorry not sure what you mean by auction site

ebay

-- March 20 2016 --

you can see in the pictures where the switch and power wires and input and output wires all go. yours should be close.

-- March 24 2016 --

smoke blower did you ever figure out the wiring for this little amp. if so it would be nice if you would post a picture of it for others to see or if you even got it hooked up.

-- March 24 2016 --

did you figure out the pin info
what do you do to get the post to change to the date you post some thing on instead of it just updating your last post
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I have tried everything I cànt get it to work I can't figure out where the antenna wire goes only thing I am sure if is the 12v source and ground
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I can not tell by the picture but it looks like they should hook up on the back side of the relay right by the 2 wires together for the on off switch. look at the circuit board under the relay. the input and out put will by close to the relay. in the pic you posted it looks like one spot is dark as if it had a wire soldered to it in the one location.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I tested the spot were the switch goes but there isn't any voltage there I tried hooking to the spots with the coax for antenna but still didn't work. Maybe I can send pictures to your email you might could see them better
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

you have got to look at the traces. it will be a in and out at the relay.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

From looking at the pics the larger red and black are the 12v power leads, the smaller red and black is just for a spst on/off switch. There are two spots, one on each side of the board that is the input and output for the amp (wattage). The input is the wire on the radio at the SO239 connector, you would unsolder that wire from the center and it would then go to one side of the amp board, the other side of the board would then go back to the center pin of the 239, just can't tell which is which from the pics you posted.

3's

Greg

smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I tried to hook up power to the red and black wire and the red and black wire by the relay I jumped so it would be on but there is no voltage on the red and black wire that is becide the relay

-- Saturday, 02 April 2016, 17:26 PM --

It might not be any good I don't know I didn't see and thing burnt so I figured it was nothing wrong with it be it might just be junk
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

you may have a bad relay. check the relay for the coils to activate it.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Yeah the relay did activate
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

what are you doing to make the relay open and close. are you using the wires right by the relay to do this. if you are using the 2 wires to turn the amp on and off it has to have voltage on the wires. are you saying you are just touching the 2 little pads for voltage just above where the small 2 wires go to the board.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

No I hooked a wire to the 12volt source and touched the relay and it clicked. There isn't any voltage on the wire beside the relay
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

smoke blower wrote:No I hooked a wire to the 12volt source and touched the relay and it clicked. There isn't any voltage on the wire beside the relay

OK you never did say if it is 2 wires there or 1. looks like a red and black side by side from the pics you are sending. I can not do this from my end but you need to look at the traces and see which 2 terminals on the relay activates it. should be a DPDT relay.trace the 2 that activate the relay and that will be the place for the switch. then look at the other pins and trace them to the output and input of the amp.

if that wire at the relay is just a single wire it could even be the input or output for the rf they may not used a coax for the hookups on this amp.

I will be gone for a while. trace every thing out then let us known just what you did find after checking the traces from the relay
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

I will see what I can find

-- Saturday, 02 April 2016, 20:34 PM --

I have tried everyway possible and it will not work I followed the traces but it will not key up so something has to wrong with it so I think I will throw it to the side and mess with it some other time
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

well you still did not say if it is 2 wires together or just one wire at the location at the end of the relay.I can not help if you do not give me any info. maybe later you will figure it out. will talk to you another day.