Cobra SUPER29

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Cobra SUPER29

Post by GreenGhost »

Hello all,
Posting the results of my very modded 29 from Preacherman. The mods are as follows except the echo board was already installed when I sent it to him:
1. Connex echo board w/talkback
2. IRF520 final
3. Schottky receive mod
4. 3-way dimmer mod to switch NORM/9/19
5. Blue channel display
6. blue led for meter
7. Slightly reduced talkback (was too loud)
8. Slightly reduced volts to all display lights (increases longivity and is still bright enough)
9. Tuned and aligned

The recieve mod is awsome, I can hear people many, many miles out, and it greatly reduces that "white noise" in the background. Really cool! The 3 way dimmer mod is at the switch, NORM is high, 9 is medium and 19 is low. Works perfect, and i like the options of brightness. The talkback was way too loud, almost to the point of distortion, so he cut it back to a nice level. The volts to the Nightwatch illumination, channel display and meter were also slightly reduced, adding longer life to the circuit. I can have long key downs and nothing gets warm or hot.

I got it back, ran in this past week and this radio SMOKES!! It is installed in my 2007 Volvo truck with co-phased top loaded factory antennas (plan on replacing them with two Silverloads) and factory coax. The truck onboard computer shows the truck runs at 14.1 volts, standard stuff.
These are some of the responses I got, they are actual comebacks, not manufactured or doctored up!!

"Hey man, turn that thing down, too loud"
"Driver, clear and loud, how much power you runnin"
"Now thats a big radio driver"
"Yo man, you burried my meter, let up"
And this one is my favorite, I just asked for a radio check and this driver came back with, "How much you want for that radio, whats your 20, I got cash. Its so load and crystal clear I want it". I just grinned ear to ear.
I run an Astatic 636L mic, and have the mic gain on the radio only between the 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock position. I turned it up all the way and let me tell you, it's BODACIOUS and LOUD!!!

When I tell people its a 29 they say "what, are you kiddin?" This radio talks, loud and proud. The mods Preacherman did and his tuneup are insane!!!! It deadkeys at 8 watts, and swings to 48-50 easily. I saw it on two different meters with my own eyes!! Naysayers say what they want, the facts are the facts and the results are the results. This Cobra 29 modded by Preacherman does in fact do 50watts. Whatever he does he knows his stuff.

I wouldn't believe it without seeing it for myself, and its my radio. I am very, very pleased with Preachermans work, top notch!!! If anybody wants not only their 29 but Connec or Galaxy or whatever, get ahold of Preacherman.
I posted a pic of it in the truck and will next week take a small video with my digital camera.

Thanks Preacherman, outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>GreenGhost
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

Awwww. Shucks... :oops:
Glad you like it Bob...I too, was pleased with how it came out.
preacherman
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Yes, those are just some of replies I get, I could type them all night. I mean, I must have talked to 50 or so driver out htere this week, they all give the same comeback..........."Big radio, loud, clear, turn it down". 50+ people can't possibly be wrong! I'm dying to get on the recieving end of it. But I know its like I said "BODACIOUS".

When I get the two Silverloads on and bring the swr's down even further, look out!! There's a Super29 in town, and I'm commin through the Bronx and NJ.

If anybody from CBRT is out there during the day on rt 95, I go to Burlington, NJ and Carlstadt, NJ. I'm still GreenGhost out there, and if you here me, give me a shout.............you can hear my Super29 for yourself.

>GreenGhost
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Good deal on that 29. Preacherman, I just might have to send my 29 to you. :)
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Just a little warning Shaft, be aware that you will accused of running an amp...........if you get a "Super29" from Preacherman.................its that insane!!! I'm so pleased with it I can't begin to explain it..............
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Now I have a problem with my with my Super29!! Everytime I key up all I get mostly all the time is "Turn that thing down driver", "man that radio is smokin", "dude, easy on my meter"........a guy cant even talk anymore, such a problem.

I have to run the radios mic gain at no higher then 1 o'clock position, otherwise it 'fire in da wire time".......oh yeah...........
Anybody considering getting their 29 "pumped up, do what I did..........................later............

>GreenGhost
I'm workin on the video of it.....
beebuzzbee
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by beebuzzbee »

Accused of running an amp LOL, I would've told them I hope so.... that's awesome, BTW, nice looking truck, too.

Preacher, I noticed you have a 2000 GTL in your profile, do you also work on them? it would be nice to know in case I need one down the road.
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

TY!! Here is a pic from sitting on the bottom bunk in the sleeper. Its a 2007 Volvo. This week I'll make a small video of the Super29 talking. Yes, I'm VERY impressed with the performance of the radio, Preacherman really know his stuff!!!! Oh my, its very LOUD.
I cant stress that enough bro. I'm yet to be on the recieving end of it.........must be spooky cool.
People dont believe me its a 29, one guy on the Cross Bronx Friday said I was a bold face liar. We were sitting in a traffic jamb ( imagine that in NY) and I stopped long enough for him to get up to me, and he stopped next to me and looked in as I keyed up (and yes, I turned it all the way up, cause I can) and he almost fell out of the truck!!!

Oh man was I grinnin!!! Hey, anybody out there in NJ/NY during the day, listen for me, believe me you will hear me.......

.GreenGhost
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Well, my digital camera bit the dust, have to get a new one to do the video. Man, this radio is still kickin big. Local radio tech here who I used to use, I called him as I went by the truck stop here in Milford, CT on ch25 where he works out of. I told him to talk to me as I went north on 95. There are two spots where because of the terrain CB's just cant make it through. I turned my Super29 all the way up, and talked to the tech for about 15 miles before we lost contact. He runs a big radio base station with an amp.

He was flat out amazed how well it talked, and asked what amp I was using...to his suprise I told him none, the radio is doing all the kicking. I ordered two 4 foot Silverloads and see what I get out of them over the crappy Volvo factory antennas which I have been using, and talking this big.

Been running the Skythumper mic with it.............
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

I know, have to take a video of this radio talking. But I did get two offers in the past couple weeks to buy the radio on the spot from other truckers. One guy said "sounds like a big Connex with a kicker"...and that with a SWR currently at 2.0 and lousy, cheap factory Volvo antennas...but.....I did get my 2 4ft Silverloads, gonna put them on this week, adjust them up. Then..................we gonna see lightenig bolts fly from them there antenna tips...................oh my, light'em up!!

>GreenGhost
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Preacherman, I'm getting sick & tired of being told to turn my Super29 down!!!! I have to run it just below 1/2 gain.........this Friday in Carlstadt, NJ two drivers ganged up on me.............I mean one guy pulled along side of me in the sandwhich lane and was making motion to turn it down..........they have a nerve..........LOL...nice to know I got fire in da wire......oh my....auuudiiiooooooooooooooooo.......
preacherman
Donor
Donor

Post by preacherman »

You must have a strong voice...or they must have tender ears :lol:
Locally, I ran it with a D104 while testing it and with the radio full
out, got nothing but flowers...but the locals here are audio freaks.
preacherman
virus
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by virus »

wow i may need one of these

preacherman

i want to mod my 29 its NH ST what could you do and how much? pm me if possible

and thats one nice truck it must ride nice too
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

I don't know Preacherman, I think the Super29 is just plain LOOOOUUUD !!! Like I said, most of the time I run it 1/2 way up, and still gets loud reports. It's just a perfectly setup 29, done the right way. And it looks stock except for the blue display and meter. Its a sleeper radio. I have had many offers to buy it right on the road!! All that with no amp...........oh yeah!!

Hey Virus, thanks man. Its a 2007 Volvo double bunk sleeper, and yes it rides almost like a car. Very comfy.

Don't hesitate, let Preacherman hook you up, great guy and awsome work!!
...................now back to squashing mud ducks in Jersey............
this_is_nascar
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by this_is_nascar »

I agree. These 29's tune up nicely. I've found that I do not light the blue lighting, especially on the meter. I'm going to get with Sparky and see if he can swap-out the blue led on the meter with white and to also tune down the brightness of the channel display.
juniorsamples
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Jrsamples
Radio: cobra 29 ltd classic

Post by juniorsamples »

hea preacherman do u do 25s also????????????????????????????
73's junior
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Well I got yelled at Friday............... :( ........."turn that radio down, your blowin my windows out".. :x .........oh yeah!!!! Man I'll tell ya, never thought a 29 could smoke like this, GreenGhost is still stompping mudducks in Jersey and NY.
If any of you folks are out there during the day give a listen around Carlstadt and Burlington........

Preacherman, you have created a monster!!! Funny thing is too, the Silverloads would not get my SWR's below 2.8 ish, but the Volvo factory cheapo top loaded whips I was able to finally get the SWR's to 1.2-1.3 ish...........oddly enough. i have no idea why except they must match up better to my Super29..................

Just a quick update on my Preacherman Super 29.............if anybody is thinking about having a smokin 29 that DK's 8 and swing to 50+, give Preacherman a hollar.....................

I almost forgot Preacherman, I was on 95 South in CT couple weeks ago exit 17, and was talkong to Girrard, OH....gotta luvit..

>GreenGhost
preacherman
Donor
Donor

Post by preacherman »

Hi GG....
Glad it's working out well for you. They don't all come out as strong
as yours...some in the mid 40's :lol: You should hear one of those
on low going into even a small two pill. :shock:
preacherman
Turbo-T
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Super Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by Turbo-T »

I'm wondering as soon as I hook up my 300 W Palomar amp if I'll get the same response....of 'turn it down"....
Beercanman
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Peddler tuned Uniden

Post by Beercanman »

GreenGhost wrote:Yes, those are just some of replies I get, I could type them all night. I mean, I must have talked to 50 or so driver out htere this week, they all give the same comeback..........."Big radio, loud, clear, turn it down". 50+ people can't possibly be wrong! I'm dying to get on the recieving end of it. But I know its like I said "BODACIOUS".

When I get the two Silverloads on and bring the swr's down even further, look out!! There's a Super29 in town, and I'm commin through the Bronx and NJ.

If anybody from CBRT is out there during the day on rt 95, I go to Burlington, NJ and Carlstadt, NJ. I'm still GreenGhost out there, and if you here me, give me a shout.............you can hear my Super29 for yourself.

>GreenGhost
Yo you got alot of guys running alot of heat out in the north jersey, ny area, I find it a little hard to believe all that turn it down crap. Your radio might sound alright but please....
Next time your around the exit 6 area in the njtp call out for the Beercanman. I'll hit you back with 400 watts and tell you how big your radio sounds.
freightliner06
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by freightliner06 »

I have to agree Beercanman because I run this way all the time and there are some big dogs out in that area.... You may be stepping on mudduck truckers with their Connex and Galaxy radios but there is no way your touching some of the "real deal" setups out there with a barefoot radio.... Judging by the video, have you considered that maybe the turn it down comment is because your running too much echo and noone can understand you.... Turn it down isn't always a compliment, sometimes it's because your not doing something right.... I also can't see how anyone has time to comment on a radio when there's nothing but a bunch of dummies constantly asking for radio checks and "what's the chicken coop doing" and "I'm not wearing any p****ies." 95 South in CT is filled with stupidity when it comes to the radio.... Driver's complaining about the crappy companies they work for and a bunch of driver's who don't read the signs saying "Road Work ahead, Right lane closed" then they jump on the radio and say "hey what lane is closed up ahead." I don't trust anything any of them tell me out there and neither should you.... Turn down the echo and you'll be ok....
KILLROY

Post by KILLROY »

Hey G.G. if I can toss in my two cents. As long as you use the Factory coax set up you will never get good SWR's. Especially using the cofased the factory uses the same kind of conectors to bring the two coaxes together as what you use to put the coax into your Music radio. Not a good thing for souped up radios.
Get yourself some good coax, and get a top of the line Antenna ( single on drivers side ) a Friend of mine runs a 770 and he made these changes and the difference is like night and day. Also run a ground from the antenna mount to the inside of the door jam, ( cab side ) Volvo's are known to have major ground issues on the doors for good RF. For the antenna I would suggest a Wilson 1000 or 5000. Or a Predator 10K Double coil short whip. Always remember you can have the best radio on the planet, but good coax and good antennas are 80 % of your total radio set up.
GreenGhost
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by GreenGhost »

Thanks for all the imput guys!! Beercanman, I hear ya. I have found that because the real Connex echo board is very efficient, I have to run the mic gain 1/2 way up. I have never heard my radio talk, but I consistantly get responses like I mentioned. I know I cannot step on most of the CBA guys out there, and maybe a trucker running juice, but mostly all the people I talk to tell me how loud and clear audio I am transmitting.

And they think I'm on some cheap PCP when I tell them it's just a 29.

I will be at exit 6 PA tpk to go to rt 130 Monday and Thursday, around 1200 noon. You can hear me out there then, and up until about 1600.

Freightliner06, I have to keep my reverb off, and the echo just cracked open, otherwise its too much echo and reverb. I have many long conversations, most of the time with CBA #1421. If you guys know him, ask him what my 29 sounds like, even he is amazed. And he runs like 200+ watts.

Yes Killroy, I don't know why, the cheesey Volvo ant work good with it. The Silverloads did not. I want to setup a Wilson 2000 behind the cab faring, just have to find a way and someplace to mount it............

I'm just saying for what it is, it's very loud, clear and steps on over 1/2 the people I talk too. I mean hey, a G Lee is putting out what 60 watts, I aint far from that.........no more then 10 watts or so.......................that said, thats why I call it Super29!!

>GreenGhost