antenna tuning

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Mr_Grinder
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

antenna tuning

Post by Mr_Grinder »

I'm thinking of putting a antenna on the house . My question is do you have to set the swr in the mounted position ? And to change it if necessary do you have to keep taking it down ? Or can you set it while on the ground instead of the roof ?
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: antenna tuning

Post by sonoma »

I put the antenna on a short pole about 6 foot off the ground and set the swr. that has worked for me. this way it is low enough to set the swr off a ladder.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

On most base antennas the SWR will be close just by following the instructions. Like sonoma I generally built the antenna on the ground, double checked the measurements and SWR a few times before installing it. You didn't say what antenna you want to install, with that info we can give you a better answer.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

yep. tune on a short 8-10' pole, then it should be pretty close to the same once up...Dual polarity antenna's are a bit tricky to tune on the ground, can be done by just rotating the antenna's boom to tune the horizontal elements.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mr_Grinder
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Mr_Grinder »

thank you all for your response's . i'm thinking ether a Solarcon MAX 2000 or a
Hy-Gain SPT-500 Super Penetrator . but you eased my worry's a great deal . i'm a big fan of easy and think i'll be able to handle this project . thanks again ...