Help selecting Lowest Standby power consumption mobile CB?

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Hasaf
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Robert
Call Sign: AF7JA

Help selecting Lowest Standby power consumption mobile CB?

Post by Hasaf »

Over the coming winter I am going to be putting together a trike (three wheeled bicycle) for long distance touring. I will be using 2 140W solar panels. This will be done as a middle school club activity (yes, it has been approved).

The motor is going to use as much power as I can throw at it. As such, I want to conserve power anywhere I can. This leaves me looking for a 11m that is going to use as little power on standby as possible.

To help you understand what I am doing, I have posted a similar question, but regarding 2M, on a different forum.
https://forums.qrz.com/index. ... 2m.533346/

(edited by MDY, allowed link, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/ru ... ule=3#r113 )
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Help selecting Lowest Standby power consumption mobile C

Post by MDYoungblood »

Every radio consumes small amounts of amperage on receive, in picking a radio for CB, size will be your issue, no HT's like 2m, and I would look at ones that will turn of the most of the display led/lcd's.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Antron 99
Radio: Yaesu 101-E

Post by Skipper 169 »

Check out these capacitor packs. Been powering my RCI N2 with this between a 100A PowerMax charger since May. Weights one pound, will run my radio for 21 minutes in RX mode on a charge, would run an electric bike for sure, which I also have, but, I do not think you're solar panels will keep it charged. Go there and send the guy a question and ask him. He gives fast answers.

I have been thinking of trying a small gas powered charger, like one of the tiny Honda ones, to keep my capacitors charged while I ride.
2WR169 Wisconsin

Some people just need a high five.... In the Face.... With a Chair...
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Cool topic. Is there any way you can recapture power when coasting? Also, I have an anti-gravity micro start battery I use. It is the size of a video tape and can jump start a vehicle several times and has a variety of uses and connections. It also has a light on it. You could use one of those as a backup/cushion and a headlight. What about wind generation when you are parked?

Now the funny part would be you helping a stranded motorist with a dead battery, all from your trike.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

You could always get one of those (or two) friction generators that attach to the forks and tire to help keep a battery charged or even run a radio! (least as long as your moving)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.