Switch In Line With CB Power?

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
dancrosoft
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Wilson Silver Load
Radio: Galaxy DX98VHP

Switch In Line With CB Power?

Post by dancrosoft »

I would like to put a kill switch inline with my Galaxy DX98VHP. I have 8 Gauge wire ran to the battery - 50amp fuses at battery and at radio. I would like to install a switch inline so I can kill the power. Can anyone comment on if this is a bad idea or not? It seems quite hard to find a quality 12VDC toggle switch rated at 50AMPs but they are out there. In addition (I am no wiring expert) but from what I understand the wear and tear on switched is due to arc when being flipped under load. If I turn the radio off then flip the switch - would that negate said wear and tear?

Another option would be a relay but I haven't thought that one out in my head yet :) I hate adding complexity when its not needed.

Thanks for any advice!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Switch In Line With CB Power?

Post by MDYoungblood »

They do make then, here is one, just "Google" kill switch",
There shouldn't be any arching if the radio is turned off and it's not a good thing to turn on the kill switch with the radio on. Some radios do draw current when in the off position but I don't think that is one. Personally I don't think it's necessary.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

You could use a relay triggered by an accessory connection in the fuse box. That way the radio only has power when the key is on. The 95t I have runs the fans at certain temps if the radio is on or off. They draw very little current. All the time I had it mobile I never had a dead battery because of it.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

My pickup sets for days (sometimes weeks) without being used so I went out and got one of these,
Put it in the back window on the suction cups that came with it and wired it directly to the battery, haven't had a problem with a dead battery since.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Post by Lost Ram »

An easy switch could be two 30A relays in parallel. A common 12V switch could fire it on or off. Why do you need a Kill Switch on the Radio? 543 makes a good point about some radios with fans running with the radio and truck turned off due to the sun heating up the cabin. I have a 2970N2 with the same type of fan. Even in Louisiana I dont have a battery issue when I dont use my truck. It might even be a month or two during the heat of the summer before I use it and I never have any battery draw issues. I also have two batteries so this might make a difference as well.
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
dancrosoft
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Wilson Silver Load
Radio: Galaxy DX98VHP

Post by dancrosoft »

Thanks for all the help. I went without the switch on this one for now :). May put it back in when I get the other issues resolved.