Wiring question

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Longcut_
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Wiring question

Post by Longcut_ »

I've had a CB installed in my truck for almost a year now. I first had it wired into the fuse box and it was working great. I began getting alternator whine so i wired it directly to the battery and now I'm running into other problems. My radio gets really quiet the faster I'm driving, to the point where I have to max out the volume to hear anything and I can't figure out why. When I'm stopped, the radio works fine.

Re: Wiring question

Post by 231 »

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have antenna problems. Tell us what antenna (specifically) you are running, where & how it's mounted, etc. It could be anything from faulty coax to insufficient counterpoise connection that's failing with some wind against it. But knowing what you have (details) will help us know the likely places to check first on that. Based on what you've shared I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the power leads.

Good luck

sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

a few years ago I had a 4 foot fiberglass antenna that while driving down the road it would tilt back and lose connection at the antenna wire to the lower antenna stud. where they solder it the solder broke loose. for 2 days it drove me up the wall trying to find it. one day reached up and grabbed the antenna and pulled it over some the let it go so it would rock back and forth and my problem showed up. the signal cut in and out. changed the antenna and all was good.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Yes it sounds like an antenna problem, waiting for him to come back and say what kind it is. It's either that or the truck is running open stacks and he just can't hear the radio at speed, lol.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: maco base/ whip mobi
Radio: too many to list

Post by halfwatt959 »

High school photo bomb?
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!
Bluerunner
Donor
Donor
Handle: BlueRunner
Antenna: Starduster
Radio: Cobra 142

Post by Bluerunner »

Could the background noise level be increasing and covering up the received modulation. If so it should show up on the S meter as increased noise level.