running coax/ drillig holes in 94 sierra

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Darwin666
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

running coax/ drillig holes in 94 sierra

Post by Darwin666 »

Hello everyone,

I am currently installing a uniden PC78 elite and am in the process of running the coax from my tool box. My question is where is a good spot to drill a hole, for an FME connector, in the back of my cab? Is that where most people run the coax to the interior? Or should I run it through the firewall?

Thanks,
Kelly
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: P38
Antenna: wilson5k,sirio!
Radio: magnums9 /madison

Re: running coax/ drillig holes in 94 sierra

Post by p38 »

Take a look underneath your carpet and in the post behind the door if I remember right theres a plug there somewhere I'll check my truck tomorrow for you .
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Darwin666,
Welcome to the forum. You could just crawl under the cab and look up, should be a knockout under the drivers/passengers seat, if it's a crew cab under the back seat too. I think there is a couple of knock outs on the back of the cab also. Try to run the coax away from the fuel tank, it will help stop picking up the fuel pump noise.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Bang Switch
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Wilson 1000
Radio: Cobra 19 LTD Chrome

Post by Bang Switch »

Not sure if your truck has these, but most newer trucks have "vents" in the back of the cab below the back window on each side. There hard to find if your not looking for them. Look between the box and cab. They're for letting air escape when you shout the doors. Anyway these are what I use to get coax into the cab without drilling holes.

DaFuzz
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Firestik II 5'
Radio: Uniden 880

Post by DaFuzz »

Helped a buddy run cable in a 95, we used a knock out under the passenger side, was easy to find when looking up from under the truck, plenty of options you'll see from down there