NEED INFO ABOUT TOWER SETUP

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
KaeRZet
Donor
Donor
Handle: WhieEagle
Radio: hr2600

NEED INFO ABOUT TOWER SETUP

Post by KaeRZet »

I tried to find some info , but there is to many topics and will take me years to read all of them... to find or find not any answers ... so decide to save my time and ask in here .

I'm planning to set up a fold over tower , I do have couple sections of that Rohn 25g tower , some cheap rotor for the beginning [ later G100DXA ] and M107C + some vertical ant. above it... [thinking about 60' of tower / ]
there are base's on ebay, that are mounted on the concrete , the question is how strong it is ? how many sections it will handle to fold over ...
what anchors ? what guy wires [3/16 would be enough] ? what hole ? 3x3x4 ?
If someone had done this before and have some experience , please share with me. Pictures of your installations would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
Last edited by KaeRZet on March 22nd, 2014, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: NEED INFO ABOUT TOWER SETUP

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Going up 60', and sticking a Maco M107 on top + a vertical on top if that, I think your going to need a bigger hole...more like 4x4x5, since the wind load of that antenna by itself is over 13 sq. ft...

I just got threw putting up a tower, only mines a Universal Self-Supporting aluminum tower, which is 40', and on it, I had to dig a hole that was 3x3x4, and my wind load rating is only at 6.5 sq.ft at the top without guy wires...I did go ahead and add some guy wires mainly because we get some serious thunderstorms around here in the Spring and Summer.

As for the base, I would think they are plenty strong enough to handle what your wanting to do, because your guy wires are going to be what mostly takes the strain off when the winds blow...Plus being in a ton of concrete, I doubt it's going anywhere unless a guy wire snaps.

Here's mine, with a Lightning L4 on top mounted 47' up.
(click to make bigger)
ImageImageImage
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
KaeRZet
Donor
Donor

Post by KaeRZet »

nice . thanks for replay.
What dou you think about those anchors ? check att. pic.
they are 40" long ... now I was thinking of to sets of those lines, first one @ center -30' , and one set of guyed wires on top section. somewhere by rotator . ?
or I sould go higher ? 70' , then first lines at 35-40' and another set of guy wires by the rotator ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Those anchors should work...I know several guys who use them, what I did tho was use a 10' 2" galvanized pole, sunk down in the ground 2' in concrete with a eye-bolt at the top for one guy wire, and the other two anchored to eye bolts on the eves of the house...main reason for using the pole, was to get the wires up high so they were out of the way when mowing...

In my case, since I'm only dealing with a 40' tower, my wires are mounted right under the rotor plate, since that would be the strongest point on the tower...You didn't say how high up your rotors at, but if it's near the top of the tower anyway, that would probably be a good place to attach your wires...Rohn makes a guy wire plate that attaches to the tower which you could place just about anywhere on the tower.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
KaeRZet
Donor
Donor

Post by KaeRZet »

Well, than higher than better... I'm planning to set up two towers, one, I want to make fold over the other not necessarily...
Also have another idea, but will post it from the computer tomorrow, hate yext at phone..
Thanks.

Sunday, 23 March 2014, 10:37 AM

Also I have been thinking about winch but yesterday I just come with an other idea.
Using one of these anchors to hook up one of these :
http://www.harborfreight.com/ ... y8MMakmrf8

and some steel line hooked up to my car, and pul the tower down . question is : will this work ?

Saturday, 29 March 2014, 8:34 AM

DID ANYONE TRIED TO DO IT THIS WAY ? WILL THE ANCHOR HANDLE THE WEIGHT OF 60-70' of TOWER ? rohn 25G.?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.