Coax Question

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Antenna: homebrew 4 ele.
Radio: Washington (8719)

Coax Question

Post by 257 »

Hi all, been slowly putting my base setup together. so far ive got a Washington to PDC freq. meter, to a switchbox (for multiple radios), to my black widow, and finally to my firebire SWR/PWR meter. everything is working well, my question is, is it ok to mix RG8/U (which is what ive used for the whole setup) with RG58A/U. i may need to use a section and was told i should keep all the same size, and minimal length. Thanks for the help and HAPPY NEW YEAR...
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Coax Question

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello 257,
Welcome to the forum. It won't hurt a thing mixing coax, 50 ohm is 50 ohm, I would use the RG58 on short runs and low power equipment, RG8 on the longer runs and everything else. If you get into runs of 50ft or more than RG213 or LMR 400 would be better. When you get a chance could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Yep 50 ohm coax, is 50 ohm coax...Just the velocity factor changes with some coax's... For long runs it's better to use a low-loss coax like LMR 400. I've been using CA 400 coax which is the equivalent to LMR 400 only about half the cost with no problems at all...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Antenna: homebrew 4 ele.
Radio: Washington (8719)

Post by 257 »

Thanks guys for the quick response, i figured that was the case. Better safe than sorry...
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

lmr600uf would be better
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone