mobil ant knowledge

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
the DEERE
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: 102''
Radio: Galaxy 959

mobil ant knowledge

Post by the DEERE »

hey guys need some info on antenna not sure how to say it how it radiates maybe Im runnin a galaxy 959dx 18ft rg-8 coax and a 102'' wip mounted in the middle of my tool box and with 10 gauge wire is grounded straight to the frame the tool box is not bonded but my r's on ch1,20,and ch40 are right on 1. the truck is a 06 f-250 four door, some people on facebook sent me a diagram on how the ant radiates, with the ant at the passenger side back by the tailgate and was wondering what the best position for a 102 would be for my application? I want to get the best possible wave out I can any links or diagrams would be appreciated
----JOHNDEEREGREEN----
27.116 13Lsb 1313 naples fl

Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: mobil ant knowledge

Post by Savoirfaire »

I put them on the roof for the best omnidirectional signal for more of full coverage and ordinarily the best signal.

The rest were probably as they showed you.

Remotely you may get just a touch more signal in one direction but the Roof still is typically the best.

73, Frank 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB).
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Savoirfaire wrote:I put them on the roof for the best omnidirectional signal for more of full coverage and ordinarily the best signal.

The rest were probably as they showed you.

Remotely you may get just a touch more signal in one direction but the Roof still is typically the best.

73, Frank 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB).
Right...If you want your signal to be omni, the antenna needs to be centered on the roof...Way you have it now on the toolbox is probably pretty close to being omni tho.

Placing the antenna on the rear bumper/passenger side will make your signal pull more to the left-front (on-coming traffic direction)

Placing it on the drivers side rear bumper will do the opposite and make your signal pull towards the ditch on your right!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

I'd leave it right where it is. If your match is flat and everything is working great why bother. If you put a 102" on the roof of the truck it's just gonna smack everything and also bend more while driving. A tool box right behind the cab is almost dead center of a pickup truck. Another 2 feet in height on a mobile can make a difference but in your case it could cause problems. Just MHO though.
Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Savoirfaire »

I do agree with Budweiser and the posts above but I was telling you the best and then agreeing that the others can work but a little more directional and a lot more directional.

73, Frank 10 X-Ray 47