General Lee amp/wattage

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Kaos
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: 102" Whip
Radio: Stryker 955HPC

General Lee amp/wattage

Post by Kaos »

I'm trying to determine what size wire I need to help wire up my General Lee radio. Does anybody know what the amp and wattage is for a General Lee radio? I've looked online but all I can find is a description, review, and the dimensions.....no wattage/amp. TIA.
3-1-6 out in the stix......
rayray1963

Re: General Lee amp/wattage

Post by rayray1963 »

10 ga. will be plenty just fuse it as close to battery as possible. The radio will pull between 7-10 amps.
Kaos
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Kaos »

rayray1963 wrote:10 ga. will be plenty just fuse it as close to battery as possible. The radio will pull between 7-10 amps.
Thanks for the info.
EC 174
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EC 174 »

rayray1963 wrote:10 ga. will be plenty just fuse it as close to battery as possible. The radio will pull between 7-10 amps.
It won't pull that many amps. You can figure on it taking 1 amp per 10 watts.

That radio will do about 40-50 watts depending on the tune. So that's more like 5amps. You can run one on a 7 amp power supply with no problem.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

If you want to figure about how much current an amplifier will draw on the primary side, figure the output in 'AVG' watts divided by the applied voltage then multiply by two. That will give a very close answer. Then, use a size of supply line that can handle at least twice that amount of current. That's called good sense. Sure, there will be a little 'extra' but that's certainly better than not having enough capability.
Another way of doing it is to total the fuse sizes then use a power line that will handle more than that easily. Or, to really CYA since you will probably want to run something else from that same power line, triple or quadruple it's size. It's a lot easier to have one large power line than several smaller ones.
- 'Doc
Kaos
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Kaos »

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have a plan in place but I'm going to post it for everyone to critique. When I'm done I will have a General Lee, XForce Midnight Special 500, and Workman HP201s (backlit gauge) in the same area. I bought a 3 fuse block that will have 4 ga. wire feeding it. The wire is leftover from a car audio install and I hope to use it to save some $$$ and because I already have it. In the fuse block I will have an 80A for the Midnight Special, 10A for the General Lee, and a 5A for the HP201s (maybe lower if recommended). How does that sound to everyone? Let me know if I need to adjust anything, especially the fuse for the HP201s as I have no idea what the amp draw is for the backlit display. And does somewhere like Radio Shack have fuses in 1A, 2A, etc. sizes or is everything in increments of 5?