Another newbie looking for base station assistance

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
ltcgumby
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Another newbie looking for base station assistance

Post by ltcgumby »

Greetings! Inherited a working Cobra 140 GTL and would like to convert it to use as a base station. Not familiar with what power supply I need. Also, I have a mobile antenna that I thought I'd mount on the metal roof of my commo shack . . . Looking for some advice/suggestions.

Thanks
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Another newbie looking for base station assistance

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello ltcgumby,
Welcome to the forum. Not a bad radio, you will need a power supply of 5 amps or more, the "or more" would be better in case you start upgrading. Like I have said so many times the antenna is to me the most important part of the system. Get something decent, if you have any restrictions where you live, how deep your pockets are, etc. is what you have to look at. A good ground plane is what i would look for, remember you don't want to be putting up antennas all the time. To include in that don't skimp on the coax either.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
ltcgumby
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by ltcgumby »

Thanks, Greg. Any preference on brand of power supply? I've noticed some positive comments in this forum regarding Pyramid.

I live in the mountains and tall trees, so the antenna will need to be able to overcome some of these obstacles. I don't have any restrictions and could use one of the tall Ponderosas as a mast if possible.
Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Savoirfaire »

Hello and welcome, Itcgumby, to the CBRT Forum from 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB) from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

I concur with Greg.

The antenna is far more important than the other equipment, so stay here on the site, research and make a good choice on an antenna.

Hello and welcome, Itcgumby, to the CBRT Forum from 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB) from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

I hope to catch u in the forum and on the airwaves.

There are so many operators on this site with years and years of radio experience like MDYoungblood that enjoy sharing what they have learned as radio operators.

You have come to the right place for fellowship, fun and/or learning.

Do not be afraid to ask.

73, Frank 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB)
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

I'm gonna cheat and tell you about one of the secret 'words' people usually have to find out for themselves. That 'secret' word is "MTYT". It means "More Than You Thought". It seems to follow everyone around in this hobby, doesn't matter what you have now or later, there's always a MTYT lurking around. The super-size version is 'MTYET', or More Than You EVER Thought! Their bite isn't usually fatal, but it's certainly a painful one at times.
I think you may have a problem or two being in those mountains. But then, having those trees around you can also be an advantage. If you can get an antenna into one of them you can 'get over' a lot of terrain problems sometimes. But then, getting that antenna into a tall tree isn't exactly simple unless you like climbing trees, you know? That's one area where that MTYT can bite you, it's gonna take a lot more feed line to reach that antenna.
Good luck. I think you'll enjoy it...
- 'Doc
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

The Cobra 140 is a fine radio! *FACT*

For now, *heh!* :icon_e_wink: Get yourself a small battery and a battery charger. Keep the charger hooked up to the battery while you do your TX'n.

I use a Black and Decker jump starter to power my Uniden Grant (four-button)..... during hunting trips.

For now, hunt for a nice power supply.

After that, find a Antron 99 antenna (great antenna for beginners!)
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
ltcgumby
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by ltcgumby »

Thanks you to those that responded . . . and yes, DOC, I'm sure that MTYK is going to bite me as much as the KETBD (knows enough to be dangerous).

I have ordered a Pyramid 10A charger and am going to try and find a reasonable antenna to see what I can hear (hmmmm - that doesn't sound right).

I live in the foothills on the east side of the Cascades in Oregon. I'm guessing that I'm not going to get much distance, but it might be fun to at least know what I can (and can't) reach.

23 Oct 2013, 13:47

So . . . I've got the power supply hooked up, the mobile antenna mounted to my metal patio table and I've got voices coming from the CB!!!! Spooky!