CB in a Corvette

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: A-99
Radio: Pierce Simpson and S

CB in a Corvette

Post by 973Kid »

OK so I am sitting here looking at my 1987 Corvette and trying to figure out how I would put a cb in it. I have seen pic's of vettes with a cb mounted on the side of the tranny tunnel but not sute how you set up an antenna on a fiberglass body. Any ideas?

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: CB in a Corvette

Post by MDYoungblood »

Most Corvette owners that want to install an antenna on their car uses the license plate mounting bracket, there are several different styles but I like the one that centers the antenna.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

ive seen them check out our sponsers
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Went to school with a kid back around 76 that had a 70 model Stingray that had attached a metal bar to the frame and had it come out from under the car sorta like a trailer hitch and had a 102" whip on the back...Finding a way to hook up the antenna on a Vet is the easy part...finding a place for the radio is a different story...

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ] Image
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

jessejamesdallas wrote: December 4th, 2017, 9:02 am Went to school with a kid back around 76 that had a 70 model Stingray that had attached a metal bar to the frame and had it come out from under the car sorta like a trailer hitch and had a 102" whip on the back...Finding a way to hook up the antenna on a Vet is the easy part...finding a place for the radio is a different story...

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ] Image

There is a local hammie that uses that same setup, it is actually a small trailer receiver hitch and has a small screwdriver antenna attached, if I catch him one day I'll snap a couple pics. Anytone makes a couple of small radios that make good sound, you should check them out.

3's

Greg

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

They do make a CB antenna bracket for Vet's...bit on the "Pricey" side, but guess they figure if you can afford a Vet, you can afford the bracket! :mrgreen:

http://www.eastcoastvette.com ... 13-c6.aspx

http://www.parts123.com/corve ... ukey=26078

These vendors are Corvette parts dealers and not CB shops or vendors, so you may want to check with some of the Forums sponsors and see if they can get these brackets...If they can, I'm sure the price would be no where near what a Custom Corvette Parts supplier charges.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Both of those include the bracket, mount, and antenna (FireStik NGP) but yes they are pricey.

3's

Greg

973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid »

Looks like I could make a mount like that but I don't see how you ground it. On a C4 Corverrt there isn't a frame that runs back. I guess I could attach a ground wire to the exhause mount and in effect grounding to the engine. Since this is a $2,500 car I can't see paying $200 just for an antenna mount.

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

973Kid wrote: December 6th, 2017, 7:31 pm Looks like I could make a mount like that but I don't see how you ground it. On a C4 Corverrt there isn't a frame that runs back. I guess I could attach a ground wire to the exhause mount and in effect grounding to the engine. Since this is a $2,500 car I can't see paying $200 just for an antenna mount.

On those links I posted of the bracket's, if you look, they come with a NGP fiberglass antenna and coax..."NGP" means "No Grounding required"

So no need to ground the bracket to anything...These are the same type of antenna's you would use if you were mounting a CB in a boat...
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid »

jessejamesdallas wrote: December 7th, 2017, 4:38 am
973Kid wrote: December 6th, 2017, 7:31 pm Looks like I could make a mount like that but I don't see how you ground it. On a C4 Corverrt there isn't a frame that runs back. I guess I could attach a ground wire to the exhause mount and in effect grounding to the engine. Since this is a $2,500 car I can't see paying $200 just for an antenna mount.

On those links I posted of the bracket's, if you look, they come with a NGP fiberglass antenna and coax..."NGP" means "No Grounding required"

So no need to ground the bracket to anything...These are the same type of antenna's you would use if you were mounting a CB in a boat...
I never knew there was an antenna that didn't need a ground. Thanks for the info. One thing for sure, I learn something new everyday but probably forget 2 things a day.

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

973Kid wrote: December 7th, 2017, 2:27 pm
jessejamesdallas wrote: December 7th, 2017, 4:38 am

I never knew there was an antenna that didn't need a ground. Thanks for the info. One thing for sure, I learn something new everyday but probably forget 2 things a day.

I've never used one...so can't say how good they work, but guess it would be better than nothing...
projectcop
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Cobra 148F

Post by projectcop »

There is a way to ground an antenna in the C5 vette. Dont know if the others are the same. Just above the license plate on either side, there is a small access (hole). Flat ground strap could be run through there to the chassis, possibly exhaust mounts. Or you could put a trailer hitch on the car and use that as your antenna mount.
Its worth a try.... when my herniated disc allows me too, I will crawl under mine to do this. I've got a Cobra 148F and a two pill to go in there....
"Sorry Ma'm; a slight negligence in his up-bringing"
John Wayne
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

You can install a radio like a 79-290 Midland CB Radio with Detachable face and mount the bracket on the side of the console on the passenger side. I did this with an old Thunderbird. You can also get a CMX760 all the controls and display on the mic.
Scapegoat-178
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Scapegoat
Antenna: Hustler HQ 27
Radio: Uniden 520 Pro XL

Post by Scapegoat-178 »

I recently installed a CB Radio in my Fiat 500, which most likely has less interior space than a vette. I mounted the radio on the driver’s door with much success. The only drawback is you have to remember to cover the radio with a plastic bag or something if it’s going to rain.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Luckily technology is catching up in CB radio and they are getting smaller (mostly the conversion radios) to meet the need in the new cars and trucks. The plus is some of these little radios pack a nice bunch.

3's

Greg

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MDYoungblood wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 11:27 am Luckily technology is catching up in CB radio and they are getting smaller (mostly the conversion radios) to meet the need in the new cars and trucks. The plus is some of these little radios pack a nice bunch.

3's

Greg
Yep! The President McKinley packs a punch...specially paired with a 1x2!