Mud/All Terrain Tires

This is the place to show off that ride, ask questions, or find answers about your favorite cars, trucks, 4X4`s, street rods.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Ckeith11
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Mud/All Terrain Tires

Post by Ckeith11 » Friday, 21 March 2008, 7:10 AM

I am looking for a set of mud or all terrain tires to put on my 2001 Chevy Tahoe for light use such as hunting or pulling 4 wheelers out of mudholes. It gets awful sticky down here during the summer so I was a bit worry about the all terrain tires being up to the task of mud and woods. The truck is stock, with no lift kit, so I am looking for something that is 265/75R16. I'm just looking for something that is fairly quiet on the road, and gets a reasonable amount of miles out of a set. I had my eye on the **Censored** Cepek Fun Country II which is halfway between mud and all terrain, and the **Censored** Cepek Mud Country. If anyone has any experience with these tires or has a good word about a certain brand please help.

Thanks,
-Curt

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Friday, 21 March 2008, 7:21 AM

Hey there Ckeith11,

I am in construction. We have maybe 7 or so trucks. I have used Cepek tires in the past, and in my opinion, they do not last long. I don't know if they are like Micky Thompson's and are so soft the rubber almost flies off them, or if they are just a bad design. My truck I drive has 260k miles on it. I have tried Cepeks, BFG's, Toyo's, Goodyear, Yokohamas, and Bridgestones on my truck in the past years.

Out of all the tires the Toyo performed the best, and lasted the longest. I got about 85k miles out of a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's. They are quiet, and ride smooth. The Cepeks, Goodyear, and Bridgestones lasted MAYBE 25k miles each. The Yokohama's and BFG's are decent tires, but the BFG's didn't last long either. The Toyo was the best tire I have ever used, and just replaced my old set with a brand new set.

We've tried a lot of off brands too on some trucks like Dunlops, Falken, Kelley, Maxxis, etc. I didn't like any of those brands. The only one that wore the best was the Maxxis, and they dry rotted before they were wore out on a daily driven truck.

Worst tire ever was the Bridgestone AT's. They lasted 11k miles and were bald. I had a jacked up truck one time with Super Swamper SSR's...believe it or not they ran great, but would get flat spots in a matter of hours. After I got it fixed up someone bought it so I don't know about longevity.

Just my .02 cents to make it even more confusing for ya! LOL
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

bosshog
Donor
Donor

Post by bosshog » Friday, 21 March 2008, 7:39 AM

i was going to recommend the Toyo Open Country AT`s.

so far have about 40 thousand on those tires and still going strong

i have also had good luck with the BF Goodrich all terrain TA KO. i got about 50 thousand on a set of 33`s and still a little life left in them.

if your looking for a true mud tire and want a reasonable priced tire look at the Timberland brand from Firestone.

we have the mud tire on our farm truck and they do great and are mostly quiet on there.

altho once they get worn down beyond 3/4 tread they tend to be a seriously loud tire

binrat
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by binrat » Friday, 21 March 2008, 7:39 AM

I would have to agree with Linx to a certain extent. I have run BFG, Cepek, Toyo on my old plow truck. For the best all round I like Toyo, seconded by BFG mud TA's.

Just my $.02

Binrat

TX_Dj
Donor
Donor
Radio: DX959 or General Lee
Name: Dj

Post by TX_Dj » Friday, 21 March 2008, 8:21 AM

I'm a die-hard supporter of Cooper tires. When I used to work as a mechanic, we sold these tires almost exclusively (small rural shop), and they're great.

When I bought my new truck, I moved my Coopers from the old truck, where they already had about 20k miles on them, and I have 15k miles on them now, and expect another 10k at LEAST before the wear bars show. So, 35k already and expect at least 45k out of them if not more.

Mine are 10-ply Discoverer A/T's. I don't know that they make the "A/T" anymore, seems they replaced them with the "ATR".

With the 10-ply, the tires are a bit heavy for my mid-size truck, but they are an excellent choice if you either A) need to tow heavy loads, or B) need the best in flat protection.

I have only once had a flat with these tires, I picked up a 3/4" bolt somehow. What may have ruined a lesser tire, left this tire serviceable. I even drove on it for about 10-12 miles to get it fixed, and it had maybe 10 psi in it at the time. When we took the tire off the rim to patch it, I was not shocked to see my favorite tire had not destroyed itself riding w/ such low pressure for such a distance. Don't try that with a lesser tire.

Since it's a 10 ply, it's rated for 80 psi. I run at 55-60 psi which gives me a little better mileage vs the "stock" pressure. We're 35k miles now, and I haven't noticed any odd wear patterns in the tread.

The best thing about coopers? They're relatively inexpensive. My last sports car got new shoes about 10k miles before I sold it, and I put Cooper's on it which performed better than the stock Michelins, and for about $70-100 less per tire than the equivalent Michelin/Pirelli/Etc.

Ckeith11
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Ckeith11 » Friday, 21 March 2008, 8:57 AM

Wow that's great info guys. How do these typical A/T tires do in light mud? I have had A/T tires before, but most of my offroading with them has been limited to hunting. I got into 4 wheeling (not trucks, ATV's) with my son a few years ago, and some of the places he convinces me to go can be pretty sticky. The truck is a 4WD so that helps immensely in the light mud with my current light truck tires, but will the A/T's be a huge upgrade when it comes to mud?

-Curt Keith

TX_Dj
Donor
Donor

Post by TX_Dj » Friday, 21 March 2008, 9:19 AM

If you know you'll have deep or sticky mud situations, a mud tire will serve you better. Mud tires are designed to "self clear" the mud from the treads while the tires spin, which gives you more bite.

No A/T will give you good performance in serious mud conditions, the tread blocks aren't big/wide enough, and they don't "self clear" as easily. A/T is a bit more of a compromise... less road noise, longer wear, and can handle non-muddy terrain with ease.

Having said that, I run A/T's on my jeep and my truck- while the new truck hasn't been offroad, the old truck was offroad all the time. Both are 2 wheel drive. I only once had trouble in "mud" with the truck, it was in sticky clay-base soil going up a hill. If I'd had 4x4 it would have been no problem.

In the jeep, I've been in hub-deep mud, and if I have enough momentum and good enough wheel spin (remember this- you need to be in 4-HIGH with mud) then I'd get thru... but I've had my fair share of "strap time" from getting stuck.

Mud tires are VERY loud on the road, typically (wawawawawawa) and also seem to be made of a softer rubber which will wear faster, but that all depends on the make and model. Something like a "Super Swamper" will give you great performance in the mud, but don't expect them to be quiet or last more than 20k miles... and if you're going bigger (and I mean waaay bigger) than stock, don't expect them to balance out or keep balance for long. There's an old boy back home with a jacked up silverado, he runs 38" swampers... can't go faster than 55 before the tires start bouncing all over the place.

Slim Jim
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slim Jim » Friday, 21 March 2008, 9:22 AM

I run Toyo Open Country A/T's on my truck. I've used them for basically the same thing you are planning on using them for. It's my daily driver, so I wanted a nice, quiet ride. I also wanted to be able to go camping and hunting whenever time permitted; several of my friends recommended the Toyo Open Country, and I couldn't be more pleased with them (the tires, that is!). Anyway, If I was turning it into a mud-truck, I wouldn't put the A/T's on there. Too many people choose all terrains over mud terrains and then bad-mouth the tires cause they expect them to do what they were not designed to do. They'll handle light mud, steep grades, wet-leave-covered trails, rock-bottomed creeks, etc...most of the time, when people get stuck, it's because of the driver rather than the vehicle/tires. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys in two-wheel drives make it by a stuck four-wheel drive...it's all about good operator practices more than anything else.

Eight5four1
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: GEN LEE

Post by Eight5four1 » Friday, 21 March 2008, 9:31 AM

The TOYO Open Country M/Ts are actually a good ride and last a long time according to all of the Superduty guys. They ride like an A/T and last like an A/T but grip and look like a M/T. I hear they are not loud for a M/T either. All guys that run them swear by them. GL bud....

Uncle Fester
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Uncle Fester » Friday, 21 March 2008, 9:49 AM

Hi y'all, I run Coopers Discoverer STT mud Tyre's on my Toyota Hilux Surf, and they seem pretty good on road, and awesome off road.
The noise levels are acceptable, but the surf is pretty well sound proofed, and the stereo is load enough to drown anything out.
I do notice a slight whine at about 30-50 mph, but the wind noise is louder to be honest.

Uncle Fester
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Uncle Fester » Friday, 21 March 2008, 9:55 AM

Here's a pic of my ride with said Tyre's fitted.

I plan to take it on a trip across the Pyrenees mountains in 2009, using the old smugglers trails between France and Spain.

Pocono Redneck
Donor
Donor

Post by Pocono Redneck » Friday, 21 March 2008, 9:55 AM

BFG Mud Terrain are my favorite of the at/mt tires. GREAT traction and pretty doggone good tread life. I run 33x12.50 16.5's on my high boy ford 4x4 and they flat out rock.

Just my 2 cents.
Keystone 7-6-2 said that!

TX_Dj
Donor
Donor

Post by TX_Dj » Friday, 21 March 2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the pic, Fester. I know what a Hilux is, but didn't know what a Hilux Surf is. We call those "4Runner" over here stateside... I don't know why Toyota thinks we need different names than they put on everything else, but they do. :)

coletrain
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by coletrain » Friday, 21 March 2008, 11:07 AM

I run the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KOs on my mobile. I like them.

Pocono Redneck
Donor
Donor

Post by Pocono Redneck » Friday, 21 March 2008, 11:26 AM

coletrain wrote:I run the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KOs on my mobile. I like them.
In a wider tire I found that the TA's float on wet or slushy roads so that's why I went to the MT's instead...

Your mileage may vary ;)
Keystone 7-6-2 said that!

Eight5four1
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: GEN LEE

Post by Eight5four1 » Friday, 21 March 2008, 12:07 PM

Pocono Redneck wrote:BFG Mud Terrain are my favorite of the at/mt tires. GREAT traction and pretty doggone good tread life. I run 33x12.50 16.5's on my high boy ford 4x4 and they flat out rock.

Just my 2 cents.
I am jealous; I bet it looks sweet. I have been having a High Boy itch for close to a year now. I am sure it is only a matter of time before I pull the trigger.

Uncle Fester
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Uncle Fester » Friday, 21 March 2008, 12:52 PM

TX_Dj wrote:Thanks for the pic, Fester. I know what a Hilux is, but didn't know what a Hilux Surf is. We call those "4Runner" over here stateside... I don't know why Toyota thinks we need different names than they put on everything else, but they do. :)
The surf is a Japanese import, so has a few different features to the 4runner ( we have the 4runner here too) and has no rust either when imported.

Fester.

Lost Sheep
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Lost Sheep » Friday, 21 March 2008, 13:14 PM

Dayton, Timberline M/T's are what I run on my 92 Jeep Wrangler. 33x12.50x15's They are great off road and on and look SWEET! They recently redesigned the sidewall tread of the tire and gave it a very aggressive look. Check them out online somewhere, I'm sure you can find a pic of them. The last set I ran I got 72 THOUSAND, thats right, 72 THOUSAND miles out of them! On a mud tire you say? Thats right, I didint make a typo. I attribute that to the very, very light weight of the Jeep compared to a full size truck. Yes, the tread compound is pretty hard, but they wear even, and are quiet, considering what they are. If you have a Tires Plus in your area, they carry Dayton brand tires. Good luck with your choice!

gunner4187
Donor
Donor

Post by gunner4187 » Friday, 21 March 2008, 15:58 PM

This is the tire I run, Bridgestone DUELER APT III. I had my mind set on the BFG tako's but the guy at sears said these would be better for me (little mud and mostly highway)

2 wheel
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by 2 wheel » Saturday, 22 March 2008, 18:35 PM

If all your using your truck for is light trails and shallow mud then the BFG At's should be all you need personally I have never ran them but my grandpa and my uncle do. During hunting season driving through creeks and picked corn and soy bean fields they have yet to get stuck even after a good rain. On a stock 01 Chevy you won't be able to clear anything bigger that a 285 and even then you might have to remove the front mud flaps if you haven't already.Just remember when it starts getting sticky to keep them spinning to keep them clean. Lastly anyone that says that you cant run large tires at high speeds needs to have there front ends checked because I ran my truck everyday on the highway at speeds exceeding 70 at times and never had a bounce wobble or vibration

minitrucker
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by minitrucker » Saturday, 22 March 2008, 18:54 PM

run procomp mt havent had them long enough too know how good they are.......on my old truck i had bridgestone dueler mts and they were very durable .....but i dont do much highway driving in my truck cause it rides like a shopping cart lol

SwampHog
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SwampHog » Friday, 11 April 2008, 17:29 PM

minitrucker wrote:run procomp mt havent had them long enough too know how good they are.......on my old truck i had bridgestone dueler mts and they were very durable .....but i dont do much highway driving in my truck cause it rides like a shopping cart lol
this threads kinda old but i just saw it lol. The difference between a/ts and m/ts is like night and day...an all terrain is useless in the mud and will turn to slicks and not self clean...seen in amillion times. Ive been buildin and offroading mud/trail trucks for a good while, and i have the procomp m/t on my jeep cherokee. There a great tire, amazing in mud, not bad on the road(for a mud tire) and they wear very slowly(for a mud tire). I would recommend them for sure. Another good tire is Super Swamp SSR's, i have them in my durango...there great in mud and fine on the road but their lould. Havent had em long enough to comment on how fast they wear

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy 88, 99v, GL

Post by SARGE » Friday, 11 April 2008, 18:37 PM

I have used the BFG All-Terrains and had very good luck with them. I have been able to go places in 2WD that some in 4WD could not, but 50% of this is in the driver. This was also up in Alaska where the ground surface is a bit different than that down here in the south!

I have never used the Toyo brand tires, but am currently looking for a good set to go on my '99 Tahoe. It may all boil down to what fits my budget, but as of now I plan on using the BFG's.

SwampHog
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SwampHog » Friday, 11 April 2008, 18:45 PM

have u been in deep mud with them though, every one i have seen has caked up and turned to slick...thats in deep mud though

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Post by 231 » Friday, 11 April 2008, 19:08 PM

I run the Cooper STT's on the Jeep and love them. They aren't that noisy for an MT (IMO). However, I've run Toyo AT's and they are indeed a good tire. I didn't get them again because Toyo didn't have my tire size available at the time. So I opted to run the Avon AT's on my truck and they've done a great job, too. They are reasonably quiet and somewhat an aggressive tread...but as mentioned, if you get into the sticky stuff enough no AT will do well. They turn into to big slicks and you are done.

Here's the Avon's tread:

But unless they've come down in price they are more expensive than the Toyo AT's. I have about 40k miles on mine now and plenty left.

;)

Flattop
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Flattop » Friday, 11 April 2008, 20:07 PM

Just my 2 cent I worked as service mgr. at different tire stores i have built monster trucks The All American in lakeland fl. worked for all american 4x4 for 10 years. the tires i run Toyos they have a harder compound rubber. the others use a softer compound trying to get a smoother ride so they don't last as long.

Night Hawk
Donor
Donor

Post by Night Hawk » Friday, 11 April 2008, 21:10 PM

Here's what I use on my 2006 Explorer. I love them. Highly recommend!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... edRating=S

SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: loud & proud
Name: Jeran Goodwin

Pretty Tires

Post by SUBWAY » Sunday, 13 April 2008, 20:26 PM

I just put a set of 285/75/16 Cooper STT's on my stock F-350 pickumup truck. They are not to loud, of course the diesel motor and radio drown out just about all noises!!!! They are a very mean/snazzy looking tire with aggresive tread. I know a few guys that have them in various sizes and all have over 30,000 miles. One guy has over 50k. I am very happy with mine.

No matter what you choose I'm sure you'll have fun tearin up the mud.
Good luck deciding

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy 88, 99v, GL

Post by SARGE » Sunday, 13 April 2008, 20:46 PM

Yes, I have been in deep mud with them. Crossed a few rivers up there with them. If I could figure out how to post pics, I would upload a few from Alaska. I always ran in 2WD and never used the 4WD unless I just had to. I truly believe it is mostly in the driver.

Hoss22
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Hoss22 » Wednesday, 30 April 2008, 15:41 PM

I had a 94 GMC 1500 regular cab short box 4x4, with 285 75 r16 Goodyear Wangler Mud terrains.
That i would have to work to GET it stuck.
It would go through mud easy.

The F250 SD Crew Cab 4x4 i have now has 285 75 r16 BFG A/T KO and they work good.

treetall
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by treetall » Friday, 23 May 2008, 20:10 PM

hey if you want a good tire for street and still do alright in mud get bf good mt. but hey only swampers will do for me on the Z71. cause when your in hole treetall puttin the z71 in 4lo so hang on cause something is bound to happen when i get those swampers turning. just my 2 cents.

Cooter
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 29LTD Classic
Name: Robert Doubrava 3

Post by Cooter » Wednesday, 28 May 2008, 22:27 PM

The BFG A/T K/O's are really good tires. No noise at all, smooth riding and they last a long time. I've put over 20,000 on a set of 33x12.50x16.5's that are on my '70 Chevy 3/4T pickup and there's hardly any wear. Right now i'm running 235/85/16 Kumho Powerguard M/T's all around on my '84 Chevy flatbed dually and they're some mud slingin sonofaguns. They make a lot of noise on the highway but that doesn't bother me. Probably the best off-road tire ever made would have to be the Goodyear Custom X-tra Grip Hi-Milers. Those things had huge side lugs and deep zig-zag tread and the dang things would last forever. Not something you'd want on a new truck though since they were bias ply. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic