Interesting Read on The Stoner Pro40

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Interesting Read on The Stoner Pro40

Post by dirtyjob »

I recently aquired an old owners manual for the Stoner Pro40 "wish I could say i have the radio" and thougt that the opening introduction was an interesting read that may interest others that have wondered about the history of these rigs so here it is:
There are many people like me who enjoy owning the very best and cost becomes a secondary
consideration. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in knowing you own a piece of
equipment, which possesses characteristics, which are superior to that equipment owned by
your contemporaries. It's also reassuring to know that you own a handcrafted and
performance tested product.
History - The idea for the PRO-40 was born in "CB Magazine" during 1976. At the time, I was
writing the "Stoner on Sideband" column and was also one of the owners of a company
manufacturing professional marine SSB equipment. As the author of the column, I received
many letters from readers lamenting the problems they were having with their equipment.
At the time, much of the CB equipment on the market was really trash. Complaints about
"bleedover" interference were actually caused by poor adjacent channel selectivity. I knew
I could make a better radio, but would people purchase a "cost is no object, high
specification radio?"
I did a survey on the "ultimate CB sideband" in the magazine and the response was
phenomenal. Hundreds of letters of complaints, suggestions, improvements, ideas and so on,
were received. Many of the features incorporated in the PRO-40 were suggested by my
readers.
For example, the 10 turn clarifier would never have been thought of by the typical
engineer, yet, to an SSB operator, it is obviously a desirable feature to aid in tuning SSB
signals.
AM - In the 25 years I have been producing SSB equipment, I have come to the inexorable
conclusion that it is not possible to incorporate the AM mode into an SSB transceiver
without compromising the SSB performance. Since this was to be a "no compromise" product,
AM operation was never even considered. We did make provision, however, for adding the
STONER AM-40 adaptor externally to the PRO-40 for those who feel this mode is essential.
Most dedicated 11 meter sidebanders wouldn't be "caught dead" on AM, however.
Frequency Counter - A point should be emphasized regarding the frequency counter. Any true
frequency counter has an inherent + I count error. For example, let's say the actual
frequency is 27155.5 (approximately channel 1 . The counter reads to 6 places (nearest 100
Hz). Thus, the counter circuits will not know if the display should read 27155.5 or
27155.6. Therefore, the right hand digit will flick back and forth between 5 and 6. The
effect is somewhat annoying, but it does indicate to the user that the frequency is not exactly on 5 or 6, but in between the two.
The effect can be used to extrapolate a frequency measurement to + 50 Hz. The "jumping" of
the last digit does not indicate frequency instability in this or any other radio with a
frequency display.
Unlike most frequency counters, the display in the PRO-40 operates on both receive and
transmit. Thus, it can be used for measuring the frequency of an incoming station. Simply
tune in the station with the clarifier until the voice sounds clear and natural. The
frequency displayed will then be exactly that of the incoming station.
Tuning - Tuning the PRO-40 is done with push buttons, which control a microprocessor. The
frequency may be sequenced or made to scan by momentarily depressing the button or holding
it in. However, when you wish to stop on a specific channel when scanning, release the
button abruptly. If the button is slowly released, the switch contacts can "chatter" and
make the microprocessor think that a different channel, other than the desired one, has
been selected.
Speaker Impedance - The PRO-40 must be used with an 8 ohm speaker such as our SPK-40. If a
3-4 ohm speaker is used, the audio integrated circuit can supply audio power in excess of
its ratings. If full audio power is run continuously into a 3-4 ohm speaker, resistor R505
(which protects the audio IC) may be damaged. Always use an 8-ohm speaker. No damage will
occur even at continuous full audio output.
Transmitter Peaking - The PRO-40 has an excellent reserve of power. We have designed the
transmitter to provide 18-20 watts of power, then run it at 12 watts. Thus, the distortion
products are virtually nonexistent and the PRO-40 is probably the "cleanest'' transmitter
in existence.
DO NOT be tempted to have the technician "soup up" the transmitter. The slight additional
power output will not make much difference, but will certainly "dirty up" the signal you
transmit. You will lose sideband suppression and interfere with adjacent channels.
If you require more power, please find some other way to get it. Don't destroy the
beautiful modulation of the PRO-40 which we have worked so hard to provide.
The Product - The PRO-40 represents what I believe to be a state-of-the-art 11 meter
single sideband transceiver. It is a very limited production product and our personnel
have sufficient time to tune, test and quality control the PRO-40 before it is shipped to
the customer.
Everyone at STONER-The Sideband People is extremely proud of the PRO-40 and we hope you
will be equally proud as an owner/operator of our radio.
Professionalism, as well as profit, is the primary goal at STONER. We intend to make the
best possible product and do whatever is necessary to insure customer satisfaction with
STONER-The Sideband People.
With best regards,
Donald L. Stoner
President
STONER-The Sideband People

SECTION TWO
THE STONER OWNER
In the upper left-hand corner of your PRO-40, you will notice a "STONER number". This is
your own personal club call as a "STONER Owner". Naturally, these do not replace your FCC
call letters, but supplement them. No one else has the same number, which, by the way, is
also the serial number of your radio.
However, there is a "hitch". To register as a "STONER Owner", you must fill in and return
the warranty card we provided with your radio. As soon as you are signed up, you'll start
receiving the mailings that go to the "STONER Owner". One item, which I think you'll like,
is 100 PRO-40 color QSL cards which you can send to the stations you contact.
You will also receive a letter from the Sideband People authorizing you to receive a 10%
discount on all future STONER accessories, which become available for your PRO-40. We'll
be announcing some exciting new items in the near future.
You will also receive monthly propagation forecasts to indicate when the band will be open
and to what areas of the world. As interesting technical articles come along on Sideband,
we'll include them in our club publication, "The STONER Owner".
If that isn't enough inducement to get you to fill in the warranty card, here's a very
powerful one. Since the PRO-40 is a limited production radio and is registered to the
STONER owner, we'll know who is using them. If one is stolen, call us immediately and give
us your STONER number. When the radio shows up here at the factory or at a warranty
station, we will contact you immediately and give you details of where the radio came
from. Naturally, any radios with the serial number altered or removed will not be serviced
and the original owner will be contacted. By the same token, if you sell your radio, let
us know so we can transfer ownership.
-I
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
015reddog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 015reddog
Antenna: Coathanger
Radio: Mudduck Junk

Re: Interesting Read on The Stoner Pro40

Post by 015reddog »

[youtube][/youtube]
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

watched part 1 and 2 , great radio
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
015reddog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by 015reddog »

I wonder how much they paid for it? Interesting.
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

015reddog wrote:I wonder how much they paid for it? Interesting.
Look here and be ready to be shocked, http://www.rigpix.com/cbfreeb ... _pro40.htm , then go to here to see what it would cost at today's prices, http://inflationdata.com/Infl ... ulator.asp . Remember that was only the radio, all the accessories were expense too.

I really would have like to had one back then but bought a complete with amp ham radio setup for less.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

I've seen a few of them around at Hamfests and trade shows. Don't recall the prices they wanted. Neat radio but not worth that kind of money, then or now. Would rather have a Siltronix and a big book to lay on it myself.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

well i put the word out to a local cb buddy of mine that I am looking for one and he said a friend of his has one in the closet with the matching speaker, talked to that guy a few minutes ago and I asked what the story was with it, he said he got it in a bulk deal and it powers up and receives but he doesnt have a mic so the transmit/audio is in question, I asked if he would be interested in selling it, he said 150.00 would buy it, he is bringing it to my work this week, I will have a mic wired and dummy load with me and if this thing is in decent shape it will be sitting here.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
015reddog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by 015reddog »

You know if that thing works, you're stealing it. :mrgreen: Wow!
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

im crossing my fingers, he said he had it hooked up and it receives fine, so the worst case right now is it doesnt transmit, but ill know in a few days, i have wired a g stand unamplified d104 for it to test it out when he brings it. :bounce:
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Here ya go...a Stoner 'fix'er-up'er"

Removed *Non Sponsor* link.
MDYoungblood
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

was it the one on feebay Jesse, if so i saw that one, looks like its a headache, doesnt even have the correct meter.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

dirtyjob wrote:was it the one on feebay Jesse, if so i saw that one, looks like its a headache, doesnt even have the correct meter.
Yep...Think it may have more problems than just the meter tho.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

oh i bet it does, i tried to ask the guy a question but he has them disabled so ya, that spells it out for me right there.

-- Sunday, 19 April 2015, 20:26 PM --

recap on my stoner, thing works great, i must have forgotten to update this post :)
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204