storm chaser radio freq

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
bigguy
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: 102 whip
Radio: Northstar dx 330hml

storm chaser radio freq

Post by bigguy »

does anyone know how to aqquire the freq that storm chasers use i have a bearcat hand held scanner and i love listening to it but living in oklahoma i wanna be able to listen and possible chase my self
BobCB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: A99, Browning BR-140
Radio: Cobra 25LTD(varies)

Re: storm chaser radio freq

Post by BobCB »

Would more than likely be a frequency in the VHF or UHF amatuer radio bands, I seem to remember hearing a lot of activity during a hurricane here a few years ago. They might also use CB's for shorter range communications.
854/BigDog in Central Alabama
Craig
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Craig »

146.550 simplex is generally used between spotters and chasers on the amateur bands.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Most of the storm spotting activity for a given area will be on local repeaters when the R.A.C.E.S. nets are up. Look up local repeaters for your area on the 2 meter band. They'll be in the 146-148mhz range and are easy to find. If you have trouble locating them, PM me, but they're out there. While mobile, some chasers may be on simplex (non repeater) frequencies but for the casual listener the repeaters are great and much easier to receive than a mobile.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

There is no dedicated frequency or channel or repeater for storm watching. If those storm watchers are hams then you can probably find them on a local repeater. If they are not hams, then there are a number of possibilities, the Pub.Serv. bands for instance. The one common point is that all those communications probably go through the local EOC to get to the NWS (Tulsa/OKC in Oklahoma). There are also a couple of 'linked' systems, usually using 70 cm for linking 2 meter repeaters, and they also end up going to/through an EOC to the NWS.
I think the easiest way of finding out where to listen would be to contact your local EOC (Emergency Operations Center) and just ask them. (There's an EOC in almost every county, and if there isn't, it's only because there's no one available to act as such.)
If you think you might want to participate, let them know. At the least, you'd probably be asked to visit the EOC and see what actually goes on. It isn't like what you see in the movies. You don't have to be a ham or CB'er, anyone can do it, if they want to bad enough (means you do have to attend classes of one sort or another).
What part of Oklahoma are you in? I'm in McAlester, and the local club is affiliated with the EOC, does storm watching. You might try looking at "www.w5cuq.com", the club's site, it's back up and running and has some possible useful information about this stuff. There are several other clubs in the state that do this kind'a thing, any of them would be happy to see you (especially if you bring food!).
Have fun.
- 'Doc
night owl
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: mud duck radio

Post by night owl »

I get to listen to the county mounties chase the storms on the county sherrifs frequency. :joker:
ch17Critter

Post by ch17Critter »

bigguy wrote:does anyone know how to aqquire the freq that storm chasers use i have a bearcat hand held scanner and i love listening to it but living in oklahoma i wanna be able to listen and possible chase my self
http://www.radioreference.com ... b/?stid=40

Pick your county and you should find somethng there

Critter
crazy_cooter
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Penetrator 500
Radio: Browning Mark III

Post by crazy_cooter »

there is a scanner website called radio reference that has frequency listings by state and by county. It might have some SKYWARN frequencies you are looking for
"TUBES GLOW, AND TRANSISTORS BLOW!"
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hey bigguy,
You caught my interest, looked it up, came up with this;

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/ ... asers.html

This give an emergency frequency and some other sites.

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EricJK
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: FT7900/ Pro510xl

Post by EricJK »

If you have a good 2 meter or 2/440 radio, I would listen on it all the time to find out where the most regular repeater usage is when there is no storms. Those will likely lead you to where the spotter activity is on the bands when the storms do hit.

And there are repeater directories that you can look up for your home state or county if you google them.

Take great care there in OK.