RADIO SHACK PRO70

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 10k
Radio: Magnum s9

RADIO SHACK PRO70

Post by Fast4socal »

im having some issues with it i added alll the frequency's there is here in town and ....it is locked out when i turn it on all it does is scan it wont let me turn on the light or go to WX i tried a soft reset there is a little hole on the side that does a soft reset but it still wont unlock it when its on it says scannning and i hear talking but on the right corner there is a little key on the screen i cant press anything to unlock it ....what do i do? can i take it apart and reset it? hard reset? radio works great but id like to be able to listen to weather too :bounce: :aaargh:
"there are only ten types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
RCi 2950 base
s9
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Re: RADIO SHACK PRO70

Post by Fast4socal »

BUMP
"there are only ten types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
RCi 2950 base
s9
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

When all else fails, RTFM.
- 'Doc
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

'Doc wrote:When all else fails, RTFM.
- 'Doc
RTFM? Read The **Censored** Manual ? i have no manual bro and its old and it worked great one day untill i pressed lock and now its locked on like the button got stuck,,? im just gunna take it apart! maby there is something loose on the keypad
RCi 2950 base
s9
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

If that dosen't work, use it to take out pent up aggression, aka, baseball bat, golf club, driving over it....use your imagination.

Sympathetic,
Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

**Censored** ? Why, no. That 'F' stands for 'furnished'. Doesn't it? :)
'Google it.
- 'Doc
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

ha! i did goggle it !!
RCi 2950 base
s9
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

okay what im trying to tell you is this : Key Lock — lets you lock the scanner’s keys to help prevent
accidentally changing the scanner’s programming. key lock is stuck and i thought maby addressing it here might be able to get some help on unlocking it but i might do as sporty mike said and use my imagination on destroying a good piece of equipment.
RCi 2950 base
s9
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

well i took it apart and noticed two square boxes on the circut board so iturned one the squelch went longer the other is volume broke that one but thats okay its as loud as its gunna get so i get really mad took a skrew driver and stabbed the keylock button and held it it finnaly unlocked. woohoo works now.
RCi 2950 base
s9
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

See, sometimes anger does pay off. 8)

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

anyone got any ideas on a homebrew antenna for this thing rat shack charges 20 bucks for a 800mhz antenna <--dont need it. i bought a adapter that makes the scanner hook up to a cb coax but id rather use my own wire or something i guess ill cut the antenna that is on it and solder my own wire. and yes anger does payoff sometimes if done right. lol
RCi 2950 base
s9
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

With UHF, higher is always going to produce more signal than almost anything else. UHF is 'line of sight'. Signal strength isn't as important as the two antennas 'seeing' each other (which doesn't say that signal strength isn't important).
If an antenna for a lower frequency is harmonically related to the desired frequency, it'll work. I sort of doubt I'd cut down an existing usable antenna to make it unusable for it's intended band unless I knew I would never be interested in that band again.
One method for a multipurpose antenna is to use 'stingers' cut for the desired band and connecting them all to the same feed point.
I really think that if I wanted a really multi-band antenna for VHF/UHF I'd check into a 'Disk-Cone' type thingy. They do work. And being naturally cheap, I'd make one before buying one, they aren't that difficult, sort of.
- 'Doc
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

'Doc wrote:With UHF, higher is always going to produce more signal than almost anything else. UHF is 'line of sight'. Signal strength isn't as important as the two antennas 'seeing' each other (which doesn't say that signal strength isn't important).
If an antenna for a lower frequency is harmonically related to the desired frequency, it'll work. I sort of doubt I'd cut down an existing usable antenna to make it unusable for it's intended band unless I knew I would never be interested in that band again.
One method for a multipurpose antenna is to use 'stingers' cut for the desired band and connecting them all to the same feed point.
I really think that if I wanted a really multi-band antenna for VHF/UHF I'd check into a 'Disk-Cone' type thingy. They do work. And being naturally cheap, I'd make one before buying one, they aren't that difficult, sort of.
- 'Doc
do u mean a biconical antenna ?
RCi 2950 base
s9
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

No, a "disk-cone" antenna. There's a difference.
- 'Doc
Fast4socal
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Fast4socal »

'Doc wrote:No, a "disk-cone" antenna. There's a difference.
- 'Doc
show me a pic of one please. i cant find a schematic or picture of one.
RCi 2950 base
s9
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Google "disk-cone antenna". You'll get several hits, one of them is bound to have a picture and how to build one.
- 'Doc