uniden bearcat scanner

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
shakuna
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: galaxy dx 959 dx2547

uniden bearcat scanner

Post by shakuna »

greetings all. i just purchased a new bearcat 250 channel scanner w/trunk III. now i can monitor ham bands and all with no worries. this way i can listen and enjoy the many conversations from ameature ham operator's. its the uniden bct8 model.

very nice looking and has many features. i was wondering if anyone has 1 and knows of any cb or ham channels i could program in , when it arrives in 5 days?

since i like listening to people chat , this is a good way for me since i don,t have a ham base or lsb/usb cb yet.
i read upon on some of the reviews and most liked the model version. so any opinnions or ferquencies for me to program would be greatly apprecited. :chef:

thanks so much and god bless. have a great week everyone.
klm 2741 shakuna
monitoring channels: 23*,26,6, and 19. lsb channel 38.
Smokey6791
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Re: uniden bearcat scanner

Post by Smokey6791 »

I have that same model if you plan on using it in a car get an external antenna for it. It comes preprogramed for all 50 states with the most common emegency frequencies. Go to http://www.radioreference.com/ to lookup all your local freqs.
Galaxy 959 102 SS
Galaxy 95T2 Wilson 1000 SLW
BCT8 TrunckTracker III
shakuna
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: galaxy dx 959 dx2547

Post by shakuna »

ty smokey. i shall do so . i,ll look for a antenna for it to use in the car. mostly though it will be in door use, so i can sit and listen to the fine folks talk on ham and cb at times. :bigsmurf:

plus i,ll just go through some of the freq. to see where most of the ameature peeps are talking. :chef:
klm 2741 shakuna
monitoring channels: 23*,26,6, and 19. lsb channel 38.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

You might look for something called a 'Repeater Directory' for the VHF/UHF amateur bands. It will list the various repeaters by state and band. I'd try the ones close to you first, others later maybe. I can tell you that an outdoor antenna as high as you can get it will do better than any indoor antenna on VHF/UHF. Most scanners aren't too 'picky' about the antenna they are offered. Special scanner antennas can be nice, but a long, tall piece of wire will probably do just about as well. The -key- to any VHF/UHF antenna is height! More is better till it gets absolutely ridiculous.
Have fun.
- 'Doc