The New Dx Directory
COMING SOON!
CBRT Visitors get first look. You may log in with your dxdirectory.com username/email and password or you can register here. Please be in mind that it is still under construction, and so some links may not work. Let me know what you think by clicking here.

Getting a ham ticket?

a place to talk about and ask for help for them shortwave radio's & Scanners

Moderator: JR Moderator

kg95
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Getting a ham ticket?

Post by kg95 » Thursday, 24 April 2008, 4:42 AM

This place has practice tests:

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/index.shtml

unrealantidote
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by unrealantidote » Sunday, 18 May 2008, 23:16 PM

www.qrz.com

best site i have seen for HAM stuff

1986 F350
4 speed manual Transmission
6.9L IH Diesel
4x4
35x12.50 BFG T/A tires
Uniden PC76xlw CB
Palomar Elite 250 Linear
Eastcoast 4x2879 box

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Monday, 19 May 2008, 2:55 AM

If you're interested in getting your ticket, be sure to check out the Misc Radio section on the forum. This used to be the ham radio section, but so many folks threw a fit that it was changed to misc radio. There's some good info in there about getting your ham license.

Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

HorseFeather
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI 2980, 68' Elite
Home Phone: 859 779 8440

Re: Getting a ham ticket?

Post by HorseFeather » Monday, 18 January 2010, 13:26 PM

Get a study book.. Those tests alone aren't enough to pass the test. Plus, the book will actually TEACH you things you can put to use. the tests just help you memorize the answers.

RCI 2980, D104 w/ HiFi element, Palomar 250, A99
Kenwood TS-430S, Heil, MFJ 949E tuner, G5RV
Uniden 68' Elite, SilverStreak 150, Wilson 2K Trucker

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Tuesday, 19 January 2010, 4:12 AM

After being a ham for a while, I agree with n4jnw. It's best to KNOW the information better than memorizing the answers to the question and then not knowing what to do once you start talking on the air.

Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

Woodcutter
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Name: George
Home Phone: 1234567891
Referrals: 1

Post by Woodcutter » Thursday, 18 March 2010, 17:07 PM

The technician test is not hard at all. I breifly looked at the ARRL Book and than took the test the next morning at a local hamfest. The test is 30 multiple choice questions that have to do with common sense, alot of focus was on repeaters and not causing T.V.I or Bleedover. Just get the book, read it and take your test. You will pass no problem.

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Saturday, 24 April 2010, 19:15 PM

Woodcutter wrote:The technician test is not hard at all. I breifly looked at the ARRL Book and than took the test the next morning at a local hamfest. The test is 30 multiple choice questions that have to do with common sense, alot of focus was on repeaters and not causing T.V.I or Bleedover. Just get the book, read it and take your test. You will pass no problem.
He's right you know except the part about the 30 questions. Its 35 questions.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Sunday, 25 April 2010, 6:08 AM

Getting an amateur radio license is just not that hard to do. It isn't a 'give away' thingy, but it just takes a little bit of work to pound the required information into your head. That required information is to keep you from killing yourself, or unnecessarily causing problems. Every question you'll ever be asked is given to you to start with along with the answer. How much easier can it get and still be a test of what you know? (Supposed to know anyway.)
If you are interested in radio stuff and the various ways of communicating with people (voice, CW, RTTY, TV, satellite stuff, you name it), where else can you do that stuff? The opportunities/abilities are hugely more than you'll ever find on 'CB'. (How about more than ten bands you could use instead of just one?)
It's not entirely 'free', it costs all of maybe $2.00 per year to have a ham license. That's the fee for giving/taking a test. Renewal is free except in certain circumstances (vanity call signs). Where else you ever going to find a bargain like that? From there it gets more expensive. The commercially sold equipment isn't cheap, but then it does a whole lot of things. If you really know what you're doing, you can build your own gear too. (How many people do you know who like to fish and build their own boat?) Ham radio can certainly be cheaper than fishing! Whoo-pee, right? ;)
I think it's fun. Done it for a lot of years, and it's still fun. Wanna try it? So try it! Don't think it'd be fun? That's okay too, find something else.
- 'Doc

kc4eoe
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Name: Al

Post by kc4eoe » Sunday, 25 April 2010, 16:35 PM

One of the best things about getting a ham license now is that the 11 year solar cycle is getting off to a good start and the skip is starting to come around. You can opt for a 10/11 meter band radio and have the best of both worlds. The big difference is that the 10 meter band SSB does not sound like the super bowl on .025 and you can actually carry on a decent conversation with someone in another country (or the US) without being interrupted. You wont hear any of the noise toys there either (at least not the goofy ones). If you are a power hog, you can have at it and not have feel guilty about breaking any rules. Of course, there are some rules and regs you have to abide by, but the FCC has gotten much more liberal over the past few years. CB is still and always will be the object of my affection, but ham has been a real blast too. I am still trying to make up my mind over which Galaxy to get for my pickup....the DX949, 959 or the 979. I may just have to draw straws on which one to get, since all three are sweet rigs and very affordable.

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Washington/TRAM/K3
Antenna: Imax, G5RV, Invtd L

Post by De_Wildfire » Thursday, 29 April 2010, 20:31 PM

Beware, the question pools are changing soon. If you don't have the new book or materials over the pc, you better take the test before that.

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Friday, 30 April 2010, 8:34 AM

De_Wildfire wrote:Beware, the question pools are changing soon. If you don't have the new book or materials over the pc, you better take the test before that.

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its true they are changing. However, the changes are not drastic. They are more editing changes and subtleties then anything major. Keep in mind that RF acts in a certain manner and is subject to the laws of Physics and is not likely to change. So, start studying and have fun. The tests are not that difficult and they are a great way to make you a better CB'er.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Friday, 30 April 2010, 10:34 AM

The question pools do change periodically, but that period is usually a couple of years. All changes are made public well before they happen, just pay attention to the publishing dates for study materials and poke around about those changes (look/watch for them). If you do your 'studying' on line, I don't know of a site that doesn't give warning of changes. Don't waste a lot of good worry about it.
- 'Doc

Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Stryker 955 HP
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Name: Fogdog

Post by Fogdog » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 9:31 AM

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I am studying for my HAM Technician's ticket. It's pretty interesting. I've got 8 weeks before the exam. Right now I'm just trying to fiqure out what type of ham radio to buy for my first one. I'm leaning towards a dual band HT. That way I can get my feet wet before I start spending money on something That I probably wouldn't understand how to even program it.

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 11:09 AM

Hi Fogdog,
I too am planning to get my ticket in the summer. If you live in an area that have repeaters a HT will work just fine (for now anyway). With the interior of cars nowadays I am thinking it will be the only way to go mobile, not enough room for a bunch of radios.

3's

Greg
Last edited by MDYoungblood on Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 22:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Fogdog » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 11:25 AM

Yeah I think an HT will work fine for my first Ham radio. We do have repeaters here and they are very active. I really don't want a permanent ham radio in my truck. The CB will be just fine. I will carry the HT with me in the truck with an external antenna. That should do the trick. Installing a Ham in the vehicle is a lot of work/. Grounding, antenna,they use a lot of power, rf noise etc. To me it's not worth the hassle.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 17:20 PM

If you don't want the ability to use all those other bands available to a ham, then why bother with just VHF/UHF? They are limiting just like 11 meters. If you are happy with 11 meters, don't want the hassle of making a few changes, a ham license isn't worth the effort, in my opinion. And who says you should, or have to stop with a Technician class license? Why get the one that gives you all of the bands instead of just VHF/UHF?
Don't want to give up your 'CB heritage'? Who is asking you to? At least half the people in ham radio are, or were CB'ers. They didn't have to 'give up' anything, they only added to what they had. Is it an 'attitude' thing? That 'CB vs. ham' crap is almost completely 'attitude', and a very poor one in my opinion. Is it some kind of 'big deal' that you're a CB'er, or a ham? No. Not until you make it one. And why waste the effort?
- 'Doc

12 Gauge
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Rick Brown
Cell Phone: 8058838764

Post by 12 Gauge » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 18:50 PM

Well put Doc.. couldn't have say it any better than that...
to those of you studying for your tech, good luck! 73's

Slyguy
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom
Antenna: Yes
Name: Sly

Post by Slyguy » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 21:04 PM

'Doc wrote:If you don't want the ability to use all those other bands available to a ham, then why bother with just VHF/UHF? They are limiting just like 11 meters. If you are happy with 11 meters, don't want the hassle of making a few changes, a ham license isn't worth the effort, in my opinion. And who says you should, or have to stop with a Technician class license? Why get the one that gives you all of the bands instead of just VHF/UHF?
Don't want to give up your 'CB heritage'? Who is asking you to? At least half the people in ham radio are, or were CB'ers. They didn't have to 'give up' anything, they only added to what they had. Is it an 'attitude' thing? That 'CB vs. ham' crap is almost completely 'attitude', and a very poor one in my opinion. Is it some kind of 'big deal' that you're a CB'er, or a ham? No. Not until you make it one. And why waste the effort?
- 'Doc
Well Said!!

Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Name: Mark
Home Phone: Unit 613 Boston
Cell Phone: CBRT 18204
Referrals: 2

Post by dirtyjob » Thursday, 21 March 2013, 0:29 AM

i dont know, i enjoy using 10 and 2 meters

Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - W2IHY 8 Band EQ - W2IHY EQPlus
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW » Thursday, 21 March 2013, 2:59 AM

For me it's all about the " Voice" capabilities. I tried VHF/UHF for a while but it wasn't enough, I like HF. If you're gonna study you might as well go a little farther and get the General class license, it opens up almost the entire spectrum of bands/modes.
Good luck and enjoy.

str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Name: Ric Flair
Home Phone: 27.235.000
Cell Phone: 8007597243

Post by str8stroke » Thursday, 21 March 2013, 4:40 AM

As always Doc nails it. TO add: It is nice having a license. It gives you more options on gear and modes. The best part is that you don't even have to use it when you get it. Just get it. The knowledge learned is worth the time. Even if you have no ambitions or $$ to get the gear. Keep in mind that if you take the test and Pass the Tech, you can take the General for free right afterwards. The General isn't that difficult either. Now the Extra, thats a different story. lol

BTW, they make some ham rigs that are smaller than CB's that are Full Mode & amazing. google the Yaesu 857D or the Icom 7000. Super neat rigs.

Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Washington/TRAM/K3
Antenna: Imax, G5RV, Invtd L

Post by De_Wildfire » Saturday, 23 March 2013, 21:25 PM

Yes, that 7000 is a cool little radio. I worked one on field day a couple years back. I think the 7100 out now with a slight slant face.

Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Fogdog » Sunday, 19 May 2013, 17:59 PM

YEEEEEE HAAAAAAA,
I passed the Ham Technician's exam Saturday. I'm a happy camper. they let me take the General class test also, but I didn't pass that one. I'm just so happy I finally did it after all these years of thinking about it (since I was a kid).

Now I have to fiqure out which type of radio's I want. Thats the fun part. I'm also going to get the books to study for my general class ticket.

Happy, Happy, Happy

73 :cheers:

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Sunday, 19 May 2013, 18:21 PM

Good for you! BUt you are now at a very 'dangerous' spot, got the license want on the air and buy the firstest/cheapest/nearest radio you find. This time period is much harder to 'do' than taking the test, and will affect you just as long as having that new license. The best thing you can do at this point isw to take your time in selecting a radio, find out all you can about each one, get your hands on one or two to see how they 'behave' or how easily you can use them. It'll save you a lot of time and effort! I figure you have to know of a few hams in your area, or clubs, so see if one or two of those hammies will let you see their stations. Give'em half a chance and most hams will be tickled to show off their stuff.
Lots of possibilities, and I honestly don't know of any ham who has only had -one- radio. Maybe one radio at a time, but there's lot's of times, you know?
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Flapjack
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Yaesu FT-890, TRC459
Antenna: Star Duster
Name: KK4RHF

Post by Flapjack » Sunday, 19 May 2013, 22:18 PM

I just took my Technician and General test today and passed both with excellent scores. Technician score = 100%
General Score = 97%. The one I missed on the general was because I did not pay close attention to the wording of one question.
I used this website for my study time for both test. hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp The http and WWW were removed to deactivate the link for protection of "CB Radio Talk forum." I studied like a crazy person starting on Wednesday and finishing Sunday morning a total of 40 plus hours. That included some unintentional naps at the keyboard. You pay your testing fee and if you pass the Technician test you can take your General right then and there for free.
On 5-20-2013 I'll be able to transmit over the air on radio gear I already have. Just as soon as my name shows up on the FCC's ULS database. :king: If I can do it anybody can.

Signature removed because some one found it offensive. No profanity, just brutal truth.

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Monday, 20 May 2013, 2:18 AM

Fogdog wrote:Yeah I think an HT will work fine for my first Ham radio. We do have repeaters here and they are very active.
Your going to get tired of VHF/UHF very quickly same boring people on there every day they sound like a bunch of wash women.
If your going to use that HT with a rubber duck antenna I hope your close to the repeater you want access.
Get your general and spend the money on an HF rig.

Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Fogdog » Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 11:21 AM

Flapjack wrote:I just took my Technician and General test today and passed both with excellent scores. Technician score = 100%
General Score = 97%. The one I missed on the general was because I did not pay close attention to the wording of one question.
I used this website for my study time for both test. hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp The http and WWW were removed to deactivate the link for protection of "CB Radio Talk forum." I studied like a crazy person starting on Wednesday and finishing Sunday morning a total of 40 plus hours. That included some unintentional naps at the keyboard. You pay your testing fee and if you pass the Technician test you can take your General right then and there for free.
On 5-20-2013 I'll be able to transmit over the air on radio gear I already have. Just as soon as my name shows up on the FCC's ULS database. :king: If I can do it anybody can.

Wow thats great. So by just studying the questions you now know all there to know about being a Ham radio operator? A general class at that? Man thats cool. I wish I could have learned all the therory,electronics,antenna stuff, propagation, and all the rules and how to operate a ham radio in just 40 hours.

I took a class that was 10 weeks long and we went through the entire ARRL book, and was taught my General and Extra class operators. We actually learned most of everything there is to know about being a technician. We didn't memorize the questions, we took tests and quiz's. We didn't go into the General class stuff. What a total waste of time on my end. I should have just memorized the question pool at the end of the book. Then I could have been a real Ham operator.

Are you going to take the Extra class in the next week or so? Shoot pretty soon you'll be an Elmer, and answering everybody's question's about how to use the antenna analyzer, Packett,Psk,ctcss,rtty,irlp satalite, Data and whatnot. Good for you.

Me I'm just a tech who will be studying the hobby further, and will try to take my General class exam when it is offered next. Providing I have a total understanding of the subject matter.

Flapjack
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Flapjack » Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 12:53 PM

Fogdog wrote: Wow thats great. So by just studying the questions you now know all there to know about being a Ham radio operator? A general class at that? Man thats cool. I wish I could have learned all the therory,electronics,antenna stuff, propagation, and all the rules and how to operate a ham radio in just 40 hours.
That's not how that course worked. You would have some reading to do then there was review of the segment you had just completed and then the new questions of what you just studied. I guess it also helped that I have been involved in electronics since 1968. It covered every question possible. Every time you sign in for a study session the questions a re-aligned so it is different every time. The course is worth the money only if you study.

Signature removed because some one found it offensive. No profanity, just brutal truth.

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 14:36 PM

Fogdog wrote: I took a class that was 10 weeks long and we went through the entire ARRL book, and was taught my General and Extra class operators. We actually learned most of everything there is to know about being a technician. We didn't memorize the questions, we took tests and quiz's.
That's the way to do it good for you.

I've been licensed for around 35 yrs and that's the way it was done when I studied for my license.
There wasn't any question pools and practice exams with actual questions and answers that were on the test back then you had to know your stuff.

I can always tell when I QSO with someone that memorized the answers if you get into a discussion about something technical that they should know for their class of license the subject is quickly changed or they have to QRT.

Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Fogdog » Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 18:42 PM

Flapjack wrote:
Fogdog wrote: Wow thats great. So by just studying the questions you now know all there to know about being a Ham radio operator? A general class at that? Man thats cool. I wish I could have learned all the therory,electronics,antenna stuff, propagation, and all the rules and how to operate a ham radio in just 40 hours.
That's not how that course worked. You would have some reading to do then there was review of the segment you had just completed and then the new questions of what you just studied. I guess it also helped that I have been involved in electronics since 1968. It covered every question possible. Every time you sign in for a study session the questions a re-aligned so it is different every time. The course is worth the money only if you study.

Yeah I'm sure the electronic back ground helped a lot. I know most of the questions I had to guess at on that General were related to electronics stuff that I haven't learned about yet. ''Hey'' I had to give it a try. Next time I will rock that exam. Glad you made General. You get most all of the priviledges. That is awesome. I'm just going to work 2 meters and 70 cm for now just to get used to the whole Ham radio protocal. I have some close friends that have the real Ham shacks that have invited me over to check it out, and to learn what I need to know. I gotta do that soon. I'm sure there wondering where the heck I am.

Hope to hear ya on the air someday 73

Flapjack
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Flapjack » Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 19:07 PM

Night Crawler wrote: That's the way to do it good for you.

I've been licensed for around 35 yrs and that's the way it was done when I studied for my license.
There wasn't any question pools and practice exams with actual questions and answers that were on the test back then you had to know your stuff.
Yep we have it easier than you did. No Morse code with a minimum wpm. Plus if I'm not mistaken didn't you guys have to spend a certain amount time in a class before you moved up?

Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 pm
Fogdog wrote:Yeah I'm sure the electronic back ground helped a lot. I know most of the questions I had to guess at on that General were related to electronics stuff that I haven't learned about yet. ''Hey'' I had to give it a try. Next time I will rock that exam. Glad you made General. You get most all of the priviledges. That is awesome. I'm just going to work 2 meters and 70 cm for now just to get used to the whole Ham radio protocal. I have some close friends that have the real Ham shacks that have invited me over to check it out, and to learn what I need to know. I gotta do that soon. I'm sure there wondering where the heck I am.

Hope to hear ya on the air someday 73

I'll tell you a little secret about multiple choice test, two answers are complete BS and the other two have the right/sort of right answer. Sometimes the decimal point in the answer is just moved a bit to trip you up. Like there is a question about power dissipation and the quick math answer says it is 61, the way it is worded and the way the math actually works out the answer is 61 milli-watts. I learned that little trick in the Navy. If you know just enough about a subject you can bluff your way through a test and most of the time do alright on the score. Good luck on your General exam next time. If you study and keep in mind what I told you in mind you'll do good.

Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Fogdog » Tuesday, 21 May 2013, 21:32 PM

Cool man, Thanks.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Wednesday, 22 May 2013, 0:56 AM

Everybody is different. I know that when I get into a 'studying' routine/mode it's easier for me to keep going rather than to stop and start again later. So, keep in your 'routine' till you get as far as you can go. Nothing says you have to do everything at once, bands etc, but it's real nice to be able to do all the bands when you decide to try them, you know?
There are 'tricks' to taking any test. The only 'trick' I can think of that applies to all multiple choice tests is to never leave a question/answer blank, that's an automatic 'wrong' answer. Mark something, may not be the right answer but at least you have a chance that it might be.
Have at it!
- 'Doc

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Wednesday, 22 May 2013, 2:12 AM

Flapjack wrote:Yep we have it easier than you did. No Morse code with a minimum wpm. Plus if I'm not mistaken didn't you guys have to spend a certain amount time in a class before you moved up?
That was only for the Extra you had to hold a lower class license for 2 yrs before you were eligible to take that exam.
At the time I took the exam there were five classes of license Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and Extra each with a code requirerment all the exams were given at the FCC field office with the exception of the Novice and the test didn't cost anything to take.

One thing I notice now is that the Technician and General have different written exams at the time I took those tests both written exams were the same all that had to be done if you wanted to upgrade from Technician to General was to pass a 13wpm code exam the Technician had a 5wpm code exam.

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Wednesday, 22 May 2013, 19:59 PM

Nobody mentioned this one that i had noticed
http://www.eham.net/exams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May 22 2013

http://www.eham.net/exams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic