Galaxay Saturn Turbo Problems

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Re: Galaxay Saturn Turbo Problems

Post by redlght »

sonoma wrote: March 14th, 2018, 10:06 pm are you bleeding over on a radio in the room with you or is it some one a few miles away? try it with the power turned down see if it is just driving the amp too hard.. just a thought.
I can't say i have ever had a radio "spur on my signal generator" before.

It actually transmits a clean signal every 10KHz till the signal drop so low it cant be heard on another radio and i am talking a radio 5 miles away or picked up on a spectrum analyzer.
If you are on say 27.4050 you will be transmitting clear on every channel below and above for about 60KHZ in either direction. It is not splatter per say or harmonics the 54MHZ 2nd harmonic is all most non existent it is clean signal every 10KHz.

Even when you un-mod it back to 10 meter rig and that is only moving a jumper it does the same thing.
Also it is not the 100 watt amp doing it, I have tried it with the amp bypassed and the final with only the pre driver going and it still does it all be it lower in strength.

I had another radio here the same kind and it was clean as all get out, I didn't have to time to probe it out for comparison. There has to be a part that failed some where that causes it to generate that 10KHz and or pass that signal and add to it each time.

So some radios doing it and some not of the same model dictates that is a failed or removed part in the radio causing it.

redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Post by redlght »

With help I found the problem It was a 22K smd resistor added to IC5 Phase Comparator by the factory by mistake. Took it out of line and clean with no spurs.

The fix remove the resistor:
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Cool find redlght, those SMT resistors are so small it looks like a solder gob on the the board. Will be watching for it if another Turbo crosses my bench.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
nk14zp
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: shorty
Radio: saturn turbo

Post by nk14zp »

To the op I would suspect the ham was listening on 32 and then claiming he heard it on 28.5. I have seen this happen in the past.