Meter burnt from high SWR

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
Biggie Z
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Meter burnt from high SWR

Post by Biggie Z »

I could use a little help if anyone else has this meter that I use for my base (Diamond SX-200). I was transmitting with extremely high SWR (my antenna blew over in the high winds) and didn't notice until I smelled something burning. I traced the smell to my meter, luckily the radio is OK. I opened the meter and found three problems, a burnt trace which I put a jumper over, a cracked diode which I replaced, and a burnt-to-a-crisp resistor. This is where I think the problem lies. The resistor is black so I cannot tell what value it was, it reads about 46k on the multimeter but I'm sure it's higher than it should be. The meter kinda sorta works but all the readings (both SWR and power) are very low. I cannot get the needle on the set position with the radio keyed, it only goes about 1/4 of the way with the knob all the way clockwise. I know it's not the radio because I tested it with another SWR meter and it's back down to 1.2 SWR. Also I checked online for a schematic but couldn't find one. I'm thinking that resistor is way too high, if anyone else has this meter it would be a huge help if you opened it up and checked the value of that resistor. It's the one on the main PCB right behind the Function switch. Thanks!
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Meter burnt from high SWR

Post by sonoma »

I just tried a google search and there is a lot of info for this meter. schematics and all.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image