best upgrade for a Galaxy DX-979

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

best upgrade for a Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

going to be ordering from GI Joe's a Galaxy DX-979 to replace the one I lost due to the roll-over of my lil pick'em up truck. noticed it has a choice of 3 different upgrades to the radio. can only choose one. I will not be running shoe. the upgrades are "Modulation Upgrade 1-4w Key w/Align(Makes It Loud), Align for Maximum Performance Tx & Rx and Align Tx & Rx with 1-4w key(not for most users)." which upgrade do you think would be the best for this radio? thank you for any input. :confused:
Last edited by army1975 on December 4th, 2016, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: best upgrade for a Galaxy DX-979

Post by 295 antenna »

Its just my opinion but ive always believed louder is better. You can have all the carrier in the world but if you cant be heard whats the use?

Charles
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

If you've got your heart set on a " brand new" radio and can hold off for a couple of weeks , This new release from President should be well worth the wait:-
https://president-electronics ... KINLEY-USA
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

pabxone wrote:If you've got your heart set on a " brand new" radio and can hold off for a couple of weeks , This new release from President should be well worth the wait:-
https://president-electronics ... KINLEY-USA
appreciate the info. but I took a liking to the Galaxy. like the looks and got good feed-back on the one I had in my lil pick'em up. the size is also perfect for what I need. took a gander at the President, not interested with all it has. thanks for the input.

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

are you looking at the old 979 radio or the new 979F the new version. I like the looks of the new one with the freq counter. if you add channels to it you will have a freq counter built in.
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

No worries.

"If" you are going to pay extra for a tune on a new radio I'd go with Align for Maximum Performance Tx & Rx $35.00

I really question the need to pay extra for most likely unnecessary work on a new radio these days (Others may disagree ?)
All you stand to gain is possibly a few extra watts on TX , slightly louder modulation & receive that performs slightly better than baseline specifications.

The QA and assembly tuning off the line from RCI/Ranger and Uniden is pretty good these days so what you get new out of the box is pretty good.

In the late 1970's it was a completely different matter as a high percentage of brand new radio's were all over the place straight out of the box and really did need a Tune & Align at purchase time to work respectably.

That problem then was due to the massive demand for CB's at the time and the factories couldn't keep pace with that demand and shortcuts were being made with the knowledge that the selling dealers would likely pick up on the mistakes and correct them for the end user.

Uniden , NDI/NDK & Cybernet were all guilty of cutting corners back then due to the rush demand, Cybernet were the worst offenders and all this extra work made a lot of money for some Dealers & Techs.

Fortunately factory quality is far higher these days (in most cases).
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

sonoma wrote:are you looking at the old 979 radio or the new 979F the new version. I like the looks of the new one with the freq counter. if you add channels to it you will have a freq counter built in.
appreciate the info. about the newer model but I am going to stick with the one I had, old version. got good feed-back about it plus it is the right size I need. if space allows, will buy separate freq. counter. won't be adding no other channels to it.

-- Monday, 05 December 2016, 9:05 AM --
pabxone wrote:No worries.

"If" you are going to pay extra for a tune on a new radio I'd go with Align for Maximum Performance Tx & Rx $35.00

I really question the need to pay extra for most likely unnecessary work on a new radio these days (Others may disagree ?)
All you stand to gain is possibly a few extra watts on TX , slightly louder modulation & receive that performs slightly better than baseline specifications.

The QA and assembly tuning off the line from RCI/Ranger and Uniden is pretty good these days so what you get new out of the box is pretty good.

In the late 1970's it was a completely different matter as a high percentage of brand new radio's were all over the place straight out of the box and really did need a Tune & Align at purchase time to work respectably.

That problem then was due to the massive demand for CB's at the time and the factories couldn't keep pace with that demand and shortcuts were being made with the knowledge that the selling dealers would likely pick up on the mistakes and correct them for the end user.

Uniden , NDI/NDK & Cybernet were all guilty of cutting corners back then due to the rush demand, Cybernet were the worst offenders and all this extra work made a lot of money for some Dealers & Techs.

Fortunately factory quality is far higher these days (in most cases).
thanks for the input

Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

Hey army..

You're about as hard headed as old goat.

Order you Galaxy DX-979..get the 'Align for Maximum Performance' and be done with it.

Install it in your pick 'em up (don't let any smoke out) and get back on the air.

Good Luck and May the Skip gods Be With You.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

Bombero wrote:Hey army..

You're about as hard headed as old goat.

Order you Galaxy DX-979..get the 'Align for Maximum Performance' and be done with it.

Install it in your pick 'em up (don't let any smoke out) and get back on the air.

Good Luck and May the Skip gods Be With You.

Bombero
hehehe, what I've been told on the ol' goat. radio will be going in an 2002 Buick Century Custom. it is the next vehicle that was donated to the Veterans Quarters. reckin my pick'em up is nothing but scrap metal now. sure do miss it. oh yeah, this Buick rides like a Cadillac and in terrific shape. just has 69 thousand miles on it. hopefully the workman radio hump mount that I ordered will fit alright. should receive it by Thursday. if it don't work out, will have to figure out another way to mount the radio. will eventually get another Sirio 5000 antenna. man that antenna was mangled in the roll-over. good thang I kept the Wilson 5000 as a back-up. well, still above ground and scanning the forum. time to hit the rack for a lil shut-eye. have a good day.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

An align and tune is the only thing on that radio, anything else is just a waste of money. The dx979 does go slightly off frequency when cold, you had one before so you know, not a problem if your not using SSB.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

MDYoungblood wrote:An align and tune is the only thing on that radio, anything else is just a waste of money. The dx979 does go slightly off frequency when cold, you had one before so you know, not a problem if your not using SSB.

3's

Greg
thanks for the input MD. know nothing about upgrades I don't. Align for Maximum Performance it is.