Swr meter/power tester

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lightning
Call Sign: WR223
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Radio: Anytone AT 6666/Bearcat 980SSB

Swr meter/power tester

Post by Mtn Lynx »

I just ordered an swr meter and a power tester. Both are made by workman. Is there any other testing equipment I may need to test my radio? (Dummy load maybe) I don't know.
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Swr meter/power tester

Post by MDYoungblood »

The watt meter should have PEP (good for SSB) as well as AVG (average) or RMS positions I like the dual needle models that tell both SWR and wattage at the same time, the more expensive meters are automatic and don't have a calibration knob. Yes a dummy load is a good thing to have if you like getting inside the radio, because of SWR differences using the antenna when testing could give you a false reading.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lightning
Call Sign: WR223
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Radio: Anytone AT 6666/Bearcat 980SSB

Post by Mtn Lynx »

Got my SWR meter power tester today. My SWR is at 1.3. Checked my power on the 10 watt setting. I don't know if I did it right, but my am deadkey seems to be high. I got the radio off an auction site, the description said it was peaked and tuned. Maybe it was over tuned. Should the am deadkey be 1 watt and 4 watts tops? Did not check it on SSB. Maybe after work tonight I might fiddle with it to get the power down to where I think it should be. Seems to be deadkeying at 9-10 watts, I may be wrong like I said maybe I'm using it wrong. I was reading the instructions and following directions.

-- Tuesday, 22 November 2016, 18:28 PM --

Update: My SWR is 1.1 channel 1, 1.1 channel 19 and 1.2 channel 40. I fixed the radio it was not reading what it should on the watt meter. Adjusted v14 am and v17 ssb. Hope it sounds better. Going to run to my dads and have my son test the radio.......

-- Tuesday, 22 November 2016, 20:36 PM --

Second update: My daughter tested the radio. Sounds like a champ.
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

hey Clet, sorta depends on the radio,(tell us what radio you have on base rig?) but take note of the " modulation swing" on SSB because that is where the punch is. usually a lower deadkey will get you a bigger punch. ya have to make sure your modulation is peaking. can you peg the needle on swing?
for example, my deadkey is only 2.3 :icon_e_surprised: