Realistic TRC-469

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
Transistor 9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: True Blue
Call Sign: N1LXF
Antenna: Fiberglass magnetic
Radio: Uniden 980 - Plus

Realistic TRC-469

Post by Transistor 9 »

I got a Realistic TRC-469 today and at first I thought I had a bad mic. Well, that opinion may stand, but at least it is working a little. What concerns me is that the RF meter doesn't work. Light's on, but nobody's home. Anyone have an idea of why? I have a few ideas myself, but Ill defer to the more experienced. I did try another mic, and it works, (Turns on the Mod light.) but still, the proper mic won't light up the Mod light, it just makes the dead sound through the speakers.

Thanks
Call: 82PE
On The Air
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Realistic TRC-469

Post by MDYoungblood »

If the original mic doesn't key it's probably a broken wire in the plug, possibly the cord, dirty contacts inside the mic. The second mic works but no receive just means the same as the first. Get a mic working first then worry about the meter.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Transistor 9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: True Blue
Call Sign: N1LXF
Antenna: Fiberglass magnetic
Radio: Uniden 980 - Plus

Re: Realistic TRC-469

Post by Transistor 9 »

Once again I see that I should wait until the next day to explain a troubleshooting session.

1. I have found that the TRC-469 microphone didn't seem to work.
2. My test setup is, a Realistic TRC-469 40 Channel CB into a 300W dry dummy load.
3. I'm using a good microphone from my Sears SSB 23 Channel radio. (confirmed the mics are wired the same.)
4. I have verified that there are no cracks or broken areas of the TRC-469 board.
5. I am using both my Sears SSB and a General Electric 40 Channel CB to test the microphone and the RF output of the TRC-469.
6. New Radio Shack 13.8V 19A power supply is providing the power.

Current findings: The mic that came with the TRC-469 will not turn on the Modulation light, (See picture below) however the microphone from the Sears SSB radio will turn on the Mod. light and you can hear voice on the tuned in receiver radio (GE). The RF\Mod meter will not move. The radio can be heard going silent when mic button is pressed thereby going to TX. I checked the wires from the mic plug to the mic switch and found the Red wire to the pin was open. I checked the wire, which looked soldered on and found it was actually broken off on the back of the pin of the plug.

Mic. trouble solved. (I hope)

RF\Mod. meter not solved. With good mic it still will not move?? Has to be internal. Feedback loop??

-- Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 pm --

Meant to say the bad mic will trigger the TX on the TRC-469.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call: 82PE
On The Air